quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what made you finally do it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 7, 2007 11:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

What a hard place to be. I'm sorry about your friend. He may be losing the battle for his own life, but through it, he has saved yours. May peace be with both of you during this difficult time!

Big Hugs, Jim!!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 7, 2007 12:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your friend, jim. but if it's true that learning from your own mistakes is experience while learning from others' mistakes is wisdom, you're a wise man; i watched my father and brother both die of cancer and kept smoking until i was diagnosed with emphysema...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
nichole

Quit Date:
April 14, 2007

PostPosted: November 7, 2007 2:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

((((Jim)))) I'm so sorry about your friend. You are doing the right thing. Quitting is honoring his life. (((hugs))) to you!

~nichole
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 7, 2007 7:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim - I'll keep your friend in my prayers and you too! I'm glad you found your quit in your friends diagnosis. I so wish no one would ever have to hear those words - you have cancer - but if we keep our quits - we at least have a better chance for a cancer-free future than if we'd kept smoking. Hang on to your quit...and cherish the time you have left with your friend.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: January 10, 2008 8:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to live a healthy lifestyle. I was a new grandmother and saw her toddle out to the driveway pick up a cig butt and start to put it to her mouth....I knew that very moment I was quitting...also while playing with her I realized I did not have the stamina I had when her mother was a baby and it was not just age related...I could not get enough air in....Smoking had become an outcast event around here....I wanted to be able to go anywhere and stay as long as I wanted without feeling so uncomfortable...I hated the look on someone's face as I passed them in an aisle and they could smell the stale smoke on me...My face looked like a roadmap and I had the lizzard crawling around in my thighs or so it looked like...my skin was hanging on my body like strings....Now, I am pleasingly plump! You should of known I could not give a single sentense answer Laughing .
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 11, 2008 1:06 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
LANEY

Quit Date:
January 12, 2011

PostPosted: January 22, 2008 3:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first reason to quit smoking was because of the cost. But that didnt work until I started coughing every morning as soon as I woke up & lite up. It got so bad, I would leave a room if the window was opened, because I didnt want the neighbors to hear me yacking away! Then there was the time I went to the E.R. because I was coughing up blood, That quit lasted for a while but I fell back into the old habit once again. I got tired of feeling tired, smelling of stale smoke, burn holes in my clothes & throwing money away.The coating of brown smoke on everything in the house, ugh! that was the worse!!! The benefits? The money I saved so far, I bought a new camera, the coughing stopped, Im not out of breath doing simple things like before, I dont have to run from room to room checking ashtrays to make sure they're out before leaving the house & there was a immediate improvement in my health. Is that enough reasons? Laney

Life isn't about how to survive the storm........ But how to dance in the rain. author unknown
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 22, 2008 11:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

laney wrote:
Is that enough reasons?

sure sounds like enough to me, but let me know if you come up with any more. Wink

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
ally forbes

Quit Date:
March 21, 2008

PostPosted: March 22, 2008 12:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

for love...

got a new b/f who doesn't smoke.. and my kids don't like me smoking either...

good enough reasons to stop i think...
and for me too.. my health especially
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: March 29, 2008 8:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pushed me over the edge was realizing smoking was not a "habit" it was an addiction. It freaked me out that I was an addict and made me sick to think I was "showing" my kids it was ok to smoke and kill your self (by example.)

It still bothers me I am an addict just a puff away from smoking full time, but realizing this helps keep me from having "just one." I was also tired of paying big tobacco for my slow death, my breathing was horrible and I could not even hike anymore.

Now…I have "clearer" lungs but still easy to catch lung infections. I have had bronchitis numerous times pneumonia already once this new year. But... I can hike, swim, dance, run in the rain, and breathe better.

I'll never let my guard down.

Sandyz (fightn4life)

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: March 30, 2008 4:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pushed me over the edge was how the state kept putting more and more taxes and pushing up the cost of cigrettes what made me stay quit was the fact I could taste my food, breath and enjoy smells and life more. I love being a quiter...I will never go back to the addiction yes addiction just like drugs or alcohol...Same thing...Different drug...

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 30, 2008 4:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to quit (for 25 years of my 44-year addiction) because of my breathing.
It took 3 hospital stays (over a 5-year period) to put me over the edge.

I want to dance, hike, swim like Sandyz.
Life is good.
I choose life.

Kaye
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: March 30, 2008 8:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My granddaughter. Plain and simple.

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: April 4, 2008 4:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been thinking about quitting for some time and had tried many times. I was on the phone one day talking to my friend Donna and telling her how badly I wanted to quit. My son Nicholas walked in the room, (he was 5 at the time) and kept saying, "Mom, mom, mom!" I told him that I was on the phone and not to disturb me. He then said, "But I drew a picture for you!" I told him to put in on my nightstand. I then continued to talk to Donna about quitting and that I'd already registered with FFS and was supposed to quit in 3 weeks and hoped that I could do it. The next morning...which of course I'll always remember like it was yesterday...I woke up, rolled over, and on my nightstand was that picture Nicholas had drawn. It was just a bunch of blue hearts drawn in crayon and it said "Mom" at the top. Nicholas was always drawing pictures for me and at that moment I realized that if I continued to smoke, not only would he not have a mom to draw pictures for, but that if I died, he would really have a "blue heart". It was a Tuesday morning - May 4, 2004. Right then and there I said, "I'm never smoking again". And I never did.

Kerry
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 4, 2008 5:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: