quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Celebrations extended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 17, 2007 6:27 PM    Post subject: Celebrations extended Reply with quote

Hey Kevin, all the people who are listed every day on the lunaversary list, lots of them we don't hear from. I don't know if anyone ever suggested this and everyone who posts regularly could take turns helping so it wasn't a burden to you but someone should send an email, PM or whatever to those people on then list and just say happy lunaversary and invite them to come back and visit even if they fell off the wagon (termed nicely or whatever to just say we care about what has happened to you in your life - so check in why dontcha - said with the sound of my best Jewish Mother accent -Wink

Some of those people might check back in if someone said hello. Just a thought, the bigger the "quit squad" here, the more help people can get finding normal lives ASC (after smoking cessation).

Maybe I have too much time on my hands this afternoon -Wink

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 17, 2007 10:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a great idea, texas! would you be interested in taking the lead on putting together the "quit squad"? pm me and let's talk about it.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: October 18, 2007 7:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea! Please count me in if you come up with a plan.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 18, 2007 1:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

And might I suggest that if they don't want to celebrate lunaversaries (like myself), that they're encouraged to take their quit date off so it doesn't show up in the list incessantly.
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 18, 2007 2:11 PM    Post subject: great idea Reply with quote

That's a great idea too Zuzu...... yep Rusty volunteers would be accepted -Wink

Don't have but a minute right now my Mom is in town but I'll PM you Kevin first of next week. Be thnking about what you might want to say to them, you know how you want to word the email. Those most active on the board can take turns doing the PM or emails or whatever and use the same email standard.....

Have a great weekend all, off to play with my Mommy -Wink

Texas

Anonymous

pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: October 18, 2007 9:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a great idea.
I havent been around as
much as I would like lately,
so im glad I checked in tonight.
Let me know what you's decide.
I may not be back till sunday,
the grandaughter is spending the
weekend, friday and saturday night.
shes only 18 months, so I will be busy!!

My avatars name is moon ray
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 19, 2007 2:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea....we have two back because of emails...never hurts to let someone know they are welcome or just being thought of. Don't you like to be missed?
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: October 19, 2007 5:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. Count me in. I can think of 4 or 5 members who haven't appeared recently. Sure hope they're alright.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: March 30, 2008 10:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be glad to help with this.
Is it still going on?
I jst thought if they dont write, they
arent checking in for PM's but perhaps
that isnt the case.......
I dont think too many people list their
email addresses....
let me know if you want to asign people to
write too ,or if your just picking some.......
Or if anyone is still doing this.

My avatars name is moon ray
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 31, 2008 8:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I didn't see this post the first time around....but I'd be happy to help if it's still happening.

I know that so many people sign up and then never really make it...or participate in the site. however, many people are quit...and they virtually never think about quitting or smoking, and just don't really come back here much. They FORGET about their quit date.

I for one have taken my quit date off of my signature because I don't feel the need to have a monthy public pep rally around my quit date (except for the cake, which is a very stingy piece of cake for so many people!). At this point, my anniversary is still a huge date for me, just like my birthday (well, not quite like my birthday...some numbers we want to see bigger, and some we'd prefer not to have get higher!!Also, for my birthday, I usually have a LARGE PIECE OF CAKE).

In the early days of your quit....every second, minute, hour and day are major victories. EVentually, you don't need to work at it...and going another month without smoking is not hard and it doesn't feel worth a big party (or SMALL piece of cake!)

If someone posts a congratulations for someone who they know is participating on the site all the time....or even occasionally, then of course I'll add my congratulations (and have a very very SMALL SHARE of cake)

But, there are so many people I know are still quit but who don't come here a lot anymore (they probably don't like the small piece of cake) and I don't feel I have to shout out to them.

For the peoPle who are here and active, it can become hard to try and keep acknowledging everyone...and it does lose some of the excitement after a while. However, I see many peoPle who only stop back on their yearly anniversary, and it's so nice to hear that they are still quit, doing well, and how their lives have progressed in the last year ...like our friend Sandy who just came back to say hello and give us an update.

I do like the idea of contacting people...but I wonder if they might feel more guilty and as if we are hounding them?

Hey, Kevin, maybe people would participate in their Lunivesary if you HAD A BIGGER PIECE OF CAKE to serve! Laughing

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 31, 2008 10:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think that anything "formal" ever happened with this (in terms of a group of people getting together to do it on a regular basis), but there may be people doing it on their own (and not complaining about the magic cake, which, as i've explained on several occasions already, no matter how many people have a piece, there's always another piece available - but some people seem to have a thing about size Wink )...

i'll still be happy to put a group together for this purpose, if there's interest; just pm me.

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 31, 2008 12:27 PM    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I'd volunteer some to email people. Back when I thought of this my life got side tracked. My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer not long after that and things kind of went haywire a while. Now that he's on the mend and clear of the cancer I have a bit more time.

It would be nice to know, even if some of them are smoking again, how things turned out for them and who knows if they are smoking maybe a note would encourage them to try to quit again. If they're still quit or smoking they might still have a "lesson" to share for us all.

Like Pamela I removed my quit date too, I'm proud of the date I quit but a bang party every month after I reach that one year mark seemed overkill.... for me anyway but celebrating can be important so never stop doing it if it's important to you.

One thing you might do Kevin is go through and send a group email and for any emails that bounce remove those members from the board and maybe there won't be so many of them listed. Then start with good addresses only. One by one on those long lists it can take all day to email or PM each one.... maybe there's a better suggestion?

Happy Monday all
Texas

Anonymous

kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 1, 2008 11:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry that your life got side tracked, texas; happens to all of us.

and i like your idea about pruning the list by looking for dead emails, but as there's no easy way in place to send a group email to people who appear on the list, i'll have to think about writing an extension to the code that makes the list itself. (this would also make it about 100 times more likely to happen on a regular basis; i'm pretty busy these days, and i can totally relate to getting sidetracked.)

btw, pink: it doesn't matter if people list their emails or not; if you click the "email" button on a member's profile (or at the bottom of any post they've made), you'll be taken to a form that you can fill out (much like the form that you fill out to make a post), and the site will send the member an email on your behalf.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: