quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Credit Card Company Rip Off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 11:57 AM    Post subject: Credit Card Company Rip Off Reply with quote

I wish a computer whiz out there somewhere would design an Idiot Proof format for credit card online bill paying.

Or, maybe I should just accept the fact that convenience costs big bucks. Each time I want to pay a bill online instead of sitting down and writing a check and going to the post office, I will pay an extra $25.

Did I forget to send out invitations for this Pity Party? And, who was supposed to bring the decorations?

K
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 1:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a ripoff, kaye; none of my credit card companies charge me to pay online, although my utility company (currently duke, but it may still have been cincinnati gas and electric/cinergy) did charge me to pay my bill online. i've never done so again.

can you transfer your balance to a company that doesn't do that?

(btw: won't your letter carrier pick up your stamped mail from your mailbox and bring it to the post office for you? ours does, but i suppose if you're on a rural route where the carriers don't actually work for the post office, maybe they don't/won't pick up your mail.)

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 6:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Kaye, I'm with Kevin. None of mine charge me. I won't pay my electric bill online, because they do. I use that stampy thing Kevin mentioned.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 7:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was when I enetered my bank account number I stuck on four extra digits (cause that was the number of spaces left), and it wouldn't go through without all the spaces filled it. But, turns out that was the check number so it made the account number inaccurate. So, the $25 was charged to me because of that.
And, we don't have mail delivery - only post office. That's not a problem really because I go to the post office almost every day.
But, my point is the instructions and the error messages for the credit cards are not very good.
The credit card company says they charged $25 because that's what they get charged by my bank. Not true according to my bank.

Anyway, I got through it without smoking and posting here instead! Wheezh

K
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 7:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now I get it. They charged you the $25 as if you had intentionally put in a phony account number. Seems like some real human being would be able to sort that out.

You are so right about their lame web sites. The ones that I find the worst are the technology ones: Embarq (home phone), Sprint (cell phone) and Direct TV (satellite). In fact, to pay my Direct TV bill, I have to go out of Firefox and log in with Internet Explorer!

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 7:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I'm not the only one that has had problems - not that I wish others would have problems (holy cannoli) but I'm not imagining it.

K
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 7:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my bank's on-line bill paying and that's free! Its worked great for me since I've been over here - my bank even issues and mails a check to my landlord to pay my rent.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 9:21 PM    Post subject: Re: Credit Card Company Rip Off Reply with quote

Snowlover wrote:
I wish a computer whiz out there somewhere would design an Idiot Proof format for credit card online bill paying.

Or, maybe I should just accept the fact that convenience costs big bucks. Each time I want to pay a bill online instead of sitting down and writing a check and going to the post office, I will pay an extra $25.

Did I forget to send out invitations for this Pity Party? And, who was supposed to bring the decorations?

K

I have never heard of that......wow.

My avatars name is moon ray
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 14, 2008 11:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I am still old fashioned and in the dark ages....my accountant cautioned me about putting personal banking information online so I stopped...it sure was easy to transfer money from one account to another...I never paid bills online though....I guess I will continue to write them out like the old frog that I am... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 9:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Doggy IS a computer whiz, and a CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) to boot.

Here is the problem with putting your checking account information anywhere on line.

If someone gets the information, and there are lots of ways that can happen, they can drain your account. If you have lots of $$ in your account, that is a bad thing. Even though you will dispute the charges, and most likely, eventually get your money back, you have no money in the short term to pay bills with.

That is different than someone snitching your credit card number. That's also a pain in the butt...but you can dispute the charges and not have to fork over all your cash while things get sorted out.

I know...I know...many many people have been paying bills (via checking account info) on-line for a long time with no problem. But many thousands of people are getting ripped off every day. It's just something to think about in terms of the resolution process, and what to do for money if someone manages to drain your account.

This is also why we don't leave snail mail checks sitting in our own mailbox with the flag up. (not in our neighborhood, considering where the box is located) We drop them at the post office.

Sorry to rain on the "pay on-line" parade! That's Mr. Doggy's ultra conservative advice.

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 1:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say that the only time I've been ripped off is by using my card in a store. There are little devices that they can hold in their hand or keep under the counter where they can swipe your card nefariously. The major sites are secure and I feel comfortable about that. Not so comfortable giving my card to a kid with 15 earrings in his face. Laughing

Rusty Very Happy

texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 2:11 PM    Post subject: yup... Reply with quote

Oh Rusty... I'm with you on that "kid with 15 earrings in his face" or her face either for that matter. I don't even want them helping me in the store... ugh.

But I got to say, I have banked online for over 4 years now never had a problem. There are ways you can be safe online doing just about anything. I've been cruising the internet, shopping, and doing email since some of you younger folks here were in diapers just about -Wink - well it's been over 25 years. I do not however pay bills online like phone bill electric and such. But I have a regular bank account and 2 Pay Pal accounts (one personal and one business) and haven't ever had a single problem of any kind. I also pay for domain names for my clients with my bank account - it's done direct and never been a problem either.

I've been shopping online for years - mainly because I get better prices than just buying local. I bought my favorite K-Swiss sneakers for $40 instead of $60 as they are local and it included shipping.

All that said, I am no expert at staying safe but it isn't impossible to do. Maybe I don't have enough money for a crook to go after my accounts -Wink

I think it all depends on how you handle them. There are easy ways to make your money safe. One of my web site clients called me yesterday and asked me about an email he got that was a phishing email - trying to get him to "login" and give information. He knew something wasn't right but checked with me before clicking - he did the right thing but a lot of people never even realize or think about it and click into the schemes.

The truth is, for someone to get your information and get your money you almost have to give the info to them yourself.

You can be safe if you just do a few small things:

Change passwords and login names at least every 30 to 60 days;

do NOT under any circumstances respond to any emails requesting information - your bank or other institution won't contact you like that;

pay attention - see who the email is actually from by exposing the "headers" or actual email address (if you don't know how, Outlook Express has "how to" for this (or email me and I'll help you);

and most of all, don't keep all your money in one bank or in one bank account.

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 2:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do online banking for the company I work for and personally. I have been hit for a credit fraud By pier 1. Someone with the same name went in and had a charge festival about 3000.00 worth. She walked off the merchandise I got the bill. I had to go to the police station and get a case number before Pier 1 would fix it. She actually got them to change my social security number and address but somehow it got routed back to me.
So I was able to fix it. (they never told me sorry for the lack in their security)

Oh the other thing is that the online billing places are changing the due dates. Like Chase bank you cant pay the same day its due anymore you have to a speed pay charge usually about $15.00. They want the payment 3 days before its due now if you pay on the internet.

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 4:39 PM    Post subject: credit card fee Reply with quote

Gosh, I'm glad I brought this up. I now have some great tips. Thanks everyone.
I did send a letter to the company and expressed my opinion (I was very nice & controlled, which was not easy to do). I'm sure I'll end up paying the fee but I feel better for having let them know what I think.
I cancelled the credit card which I hated to do because that affects your credit history, but I never really wanted a store credit card anyway - allowed myself to get talked into it (cause I could save 10%).

Kaye
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 7:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DG, one more vote that I am not over the hill yet Laughing Laughing I could not REMEMBER Laughing Laughing all the facts but knew I was told it was a no no for me anyways. OK, now I admit that there could be more reasons than a thief that caused the cautioning from my accountant... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Hey, I received a credit card for my Dad (we had a joint credit card) so I took it out of the bank envelope and put it into an auto parts envelope and forwarded it to him...it was stolen and the thief racked up 5 grand on the card....I caught him by going over the records and calling the police and telling them to go look at video at the main store he was purchasing at...they had him on Monday and I did not get the bill until Friday.....want to guess who it was?????????????

a POSTAL WORKER for the US POST office who sorted the mail..they said he must have felt the card in the envelope...now talk about trust...
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: