quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Breaking writers block???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2008 8:24 PM    Post subject: Breaking writers block??? Reply with quote

I've been struggling with a paper - just a 2-3 pager for my class. I just can't seem to get anything down on paper. I've tried every trick I know to break writers block. I still have a very strong association between the writing process and smoking - I'm not going to go back to smoking - but I've got to write this paper soon - I can't even seem to get a good outline - its like I don't know what I'm trying to say! I've done brainstorming, free association...list making, just writing about writing, writing about writer's block - its like the idea is right on the tip of my pen - but its stuck. Chain-smoking was part of breaking writer's block in the past...I need some new tricks....and no...I'm not going to smoke...its not an option. But I have to write this paper and then three or four more to finish in the next month...HELP!!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 4, 2008 9:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy hi mary, if you can pick the subject to write on; try picking a topic that emotionally charges you.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: May 5, 2008 6:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary.
I understand your plight. Smoking was the only way I could write at one time. I am still having trouble concentrating past the beginning. Walking has been the best way for me to release that energy I'd put into smoking that seemed to keep my mind on track. Could you talk through some ideas while you are walking and use a small recorder?? I know you do walk a great deal, so it might give you the perfect opportunity. Just the process of recording your thoughts onto your computer from the recorder could then get your fingers moving on the keyboard and your brilliance could SHINE right through as you zip through the paper!!
(yeah, I know, I'm optimistic, but I do believe!!)
Very Happy
I'll keep thinking on this and post with more ideas!
Gidget

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 5, 2008 10:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

read everything you can get your hands on about your subject, then go do something rhythmically physical (like running) and forget about it. then come back, take a shower and sit down and write.

another great writing exercise (from "the artist's way" by julia cameron): get up a little early in the morning, and fill 3 pages with whatever comes out of your pen. don't re-read it, don't correct it, don't look back; just write until 3 pages are filled. then throw them away (or put them in an envelope and don't look at them for at least a month). do that every morning, first thing, before you read the paper, check your email, or anything. i think she refers to it as a brain dump.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 5, 2008 8:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,
Let us know if these ideas are helpful.

What came to my mind was to tell someone verbally the thoughts you're having on the subject. Similar to what Gidget is saying but trying it with a real person. Talking with someone usually lets me see where I'm clear on something or unclear. Even if that will give you just one idea, it's a start to
get everything flowing again for you. I hope.

Kaye
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2008 8:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep trying...I think the instructor is runnng out of patience. I'll get it - just keep at it - I just finished my walking - and my posting - so I'll give it a go when I get home... Thanks for the ideas!

Mary D.
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 6, 2008 1:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Mary,
What were you really doing when you were chainsmoking? We used it to block out stuff, right? So you chain smoked to block out what was going on around you and in your head. Then what was inside of you could flow out into the world.
I know you'll figure this out Mary.
K
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 6, 2008 3:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm....very interesting thought. Maybe I'll try to get "quiet" and "centered" before I start....I have to do this....

Mary D.
daggy12

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 11, 2008 6:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary,
I agree with snowlover. I would get my cigs, ice tea and set up my papers it was a sign dont bother me I thinking.

Life can only be "understood" by looking backward, but must be "lived" by looking forward.

Patty
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 8:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forced myself to work on the outline - I have a pretty good idea of what I want to say - but I still have to write the paper...I'll get it.....and I'll keep ya posted.

Mary D.
Snowlover

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 14, 2008 8:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Mary. Just keep writing and rewriting and you'll arrive at your best work. Get out that Theasauras (sp?)

Very Happy

K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: