quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Doing my best to stay smoke free

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breez

Quit Date:
May 12, 2009

PostPosted: May 16, 2008 2:00 PM    Post subject: Doing my best to stay smoke free Reply with quote

Hello all, I am new here. I have 72 hrs under my belt. I quit cold turkey.
I have been smoking for 15 yrs.I have got in threw the worst, Now I need to learn to live day to day with out smoking.I am still scared to start again or be around others who still smoke.I really dont have any questions, I just wanted to talk. Please feel free to post, I would love to hear from people who have done this before me. I could always use the suport.
Thankz
texas2step

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 16, 2008 2:49 PM    Post subject: welcome to the woof Reply with quote

Hello Breez and welcome to the woofmang hideout. This is a really great place for people trying to quit - I know that because it has helped me greatly. It's good to be able to talk to people who have tread the path ahead of us. Each day brings new challenges - just remember - you can do it. I know that too cause if I can quit anyone can.

Read Kevin's tales (links at the top of every page) and they will help you a lot. Keep a diary or be sure to at least write down the reasons you want to quit and stay that way. It helps. Then settle in, it gets easier every day that you go smoke free.

I love not smoking. Quitting after almost 40 years of waste and body poisoning was the finest most important thing I ever did for ME. I am enjoying being able to breathe and to not be standing outside huddled up in winter blasts puffing away while everyone sits inside a warm place laughing and having fun.... now I'm on the inside -Wink and it's great!

This web site has a lot to offer, do a lot of reading here and at www.whyquit.com. I quit cold turkey too. You are going to get happier and happier. That I promise you!

Congratulations on taking back your life - know this - while it may see hard to quit YOU can have a huge impact on how it goes. Happy not sad, glad not mad will go a long way to getting you peace and comfort. Don't think you should feel sorry for poor little you who "cannot" smoke - think how wonderful it is you won't be a slave anymore to Nicodemon who hates you and will kill you - guaranteed!

Have a great weekend and again, welcome to the woof!

Texas

"You can't always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
Anonymous

Quit: 8/14/06
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: May 16, 2008 3:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
we all need support, thats why we are here!!!
Glad you have 72 hours, just keep it going.
Kevin has created this wonderful site for us,
and I will be forever grateful.
I smoked for 28 years and at some times, like a
fiend. You can do this, if you choose too........

My avatars name is moon ray
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: May 16, 2008 6:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

H Breez - Welcome! Congrats on your first smoke-free days...keep choosing freedom - just take it one day at a time! You are quite a quitter! Keep it going...you are off to a great start!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: May 16, 2008 8:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breez, welcome! I also quit cold turkey, and once I made a week, I knew I was good for life. Take it one day at a time, and one minute at a time when you need to. And let us know how we can help.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Patty129

Quit Date:
February 18, 2007

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 10:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Breez and welcome....I smoked for 48 years and have been quit 15 months tomorrow.....it has not been an easy journey, but the struggle has been worth it.....no more stinky house or clothes, no more wheezing, no more money being spent on cigarettes, no more freezing in the winter trying to smoke outside at work, or in the rain or heat.....and no more arranging my life around the most horrible addiction.....so I hope you are taking pride in every single minute of your smobriety.....visit often, I found it a tremendous help.
Patty
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 10:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site, breez! you're smart to be scared to start again; to paraphrase our friend, eric, the thing that shows how addictive smoking really is is not so much how hard it is to quit as how easy it is to start again.

you've gotten some great tips already, so let me add this one: talk back.

whenever you hear that little voice that suggests how nice it would be to have a smoke right now, talk back to it: tell it, "no, it wouldn't be nice to have a smoke, now or ever; all that will do is make me a practicing addict again." then remind yourself of all the reasons why you quit in the first place.

whenever you hear the thought, "i'll just have this one, and then get right back to being quit", talk back to it: tell it, "no. there's no such thing as just one; if i take one back, i have to take them all back. i'd rather stay free."

if you've ever quit before, you already have some idea of the nonsense your little voice will use to try and get you to start smoking again; think about how you'll talk back to each one, so you'll be ready ahead of time.

if you haven't quit before, just be aware that any thought you hear that suggests that smoking might be a good idea is coming from your "inner junkie". don't let those thoughts take hold; talk back to them. see them for the nonsense they are and let them go. they're what will take you back to smoking, but only if you let them.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Lynn

Quit Date:
April 28, 2008

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 11:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Breez,Im on day 20, I quit cold turkey too and it does seem to be getting easier.Remember your one puff away from 20 a day,and that thought keeps me going,also think "Cash not Ash"my jar is getting very heavy Good luck.
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 11:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

cash not ash, what an awesome saying!

My avatars name is moon ray
Doggygirl

Quit Date:
February 26, 2007

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 11:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Breez, and welcome here!! I'm another one who LOVES being an ex-smoker after 30+ years of addiction.

Writing a lot about WHY I wanted to get and stay quit, and keeping the list of benefits right under my nose helped a lot in the crazy early days.

For me, making NOT SMOKING my #1 priority for awhile is what it took. Even if that meant SCREAMING to cope instead of smoking to be coping. If you can muscle through this early time, and stay focused on the positive benefits, it truly does get easier.

I would not trade freedom from the ball and chain that is smoking these days, or my cough and hack free life, or my better smelling self for a cigarette - NO WAY.

Keep pushing on, and post often. There are many great folks here to help!

DG

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 12:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Breez and WELCOME to our place! I smoked 42 years, have been quit 4 years now and lovin' every minute of the quit! The list of good things is endless, so keep doing what you are doing and take this quit one minute at a time. Congratulations on your freedom! Smile

Essie
4/14/04
motorcyclewoman

Quit Date:
March 10, 2008

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 2:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Breez!
I've been scared to quit also, thinking that I would be less fun around other people, thinking I wouldn't enjoy nice moments (like parties, concerts,...). As I speak, I'm smokefree for 2 months, and still enjoying parties and other social activities. Even more, I have better breath, am in better shape, less stressfull, ... Of course, I think about it sometimes, but learned how to handle the cravings and when it get's to difficult, I find a lot support from wonderful people on this forum!

Greetingzzzz

Peggy

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
dan724

Quit Date:
March 23, 2008

PostPosted: May 18, 2008 8:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

STICK WITH IT!!! Take it one day at a time, you will be surprised how far you can go! This is a great site with tons of positive vibes. Stoping by here and reading posts helped me a bunch. At 72 hrs you are already ahead of the game. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: