quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beware Mystic Tan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: June 30, 2008 3:01 PM    Post subject: Beware Mystic Tan Reply with quote

I guess I went nuts - tried mystic tan spray on booth as my daughter in law was doing it and it looks great - BUT - triggered my copd/ashtma and now they will not let me out of my contract even with a doctors statement.
I guess some lessons are hard and costly - this one will cost me $650.00 as I signed up for the cheapest deal (2 years). I am so upset...but I am not smoking still! Hope all of you are doing better than me and watch out for that tanning mist -

He who would leap high must take a long run.
Danish Proverb -www.quotationspage.com
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: June 30, 2008 3:05 PM    Post subject: Re: Beware Mystic Tan Reply with quote

Idream wrote:
I guess I went nuts - tried mystic tan spray on booth as my daughter in law was doing it and it looks great - BUT - triggered my copd/ashtma and now they will not let me out of my contract even with a doctors statement.
I guess some lessons are hard and costly - this one will cost me $650.00 as I signed up for the cheapest deal (2 years). I am so upset...but I am not smoking still! Hope all of you are doing better than me and watch out for that tanning mist -

bummer!!! Thats not good bsiness.
will they let you transfer the package to someone else?
I mean, they should........they wont let you out of it with a dr note,
they should let you transfer it, at least.
sorry to hear that. did you sign a contract?

My avatars name is moon ray
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: June 30, 2008 3:15 PM    Post subject: dummy me Reply with quote

thanks for the reply pink pearl - yes I did sign a contract - who would ever think about that being a trigger and the tan looked great - they told me they would let me assign to another qualified person who wants mist - see you have to choose up front - or that I could change to tan booth which I cannot do due to skin condition - so they have me...I do not know anyone to take over the contract at my location - again - has to go by store that sold it...they are just creeps - I knew within five days and they still will not honor.........oh well - as long as I do not let a cig make it feel better..........I am just bummed out... I do plan to tell the world so no-one else get the results I did. I also paid with a credit card so now I am tied in for monthly payments - only resolve at this time is legal - and that is just more money.............I keep telling myself this too shall pass but two years is a long time to have that burr poking at me.. Thanks again - glad Kevin calls this a rant - I am really on one. Mardi

kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 30, 2008 6:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they've got you on recurring billing, you should talk to your cc company and tell them to stop that payment. explain the situation; you shouldn't have to pay for something you can't use, and that the crooks aren't going to deliver.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: June 30, 2008 8:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin wrote:
if they've got you on recurring billing, you should talk to your cc company and tell them to stop that payment. explain the situation; you shouldn't have to pay for something you can't use, and that the crooks aren't going to deliver.

I was going to say the same thing! stop payment.

My avatars name is moon ray
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 30, 2008 9:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto what kevin said....what are the laws in OK about contracts. Some states allow a certain amount of days to back out. Check it out. There are plenty of online sources for state laws. Google OK state laws on contracts. Might take some reading time...but hey, you never know. Some businesses bank on the fact that people do not know the laws and bully them into situtations just like yours. Call the Better Business Bureau in your area also. They may be of some help, or at least post a report on the business so that others may be able to reference. And don't underestimate the power of the media....do you have a tv station that has a troubleshooter. Now, most business wouldn't want the bad rap the media would give. Newspaper, try there also. Writing an opinion letter to the editor might give them so bad promo also.

Also the health department....since it has jeodarized your health. Wink
There is always more than one way to skin a cat! Wink

Big Hugs Mardi!!!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: July 1, 2008 7:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardi, that is just terrible!
I agree with what has been said, I would also like to add the Consumer Protection Agency should be involved as well. You will spend some time, but maybe not that much money.....Stop payment on the credit card. Make sure you fully document all of the conversations you had with the mystic people so that if it ever comes into question, you have records to back up your explanation.

Gidget

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 1, 2008 8:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a local television station that does "call for action" reporting? Notify them. I bet they would let you out of the contract. They don't want negative publicity and they would get some positive attention from canceling the contract.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: July 1, 2008 11:05 AM    Post subject: what a great group of people you are! Reply with quote

Gidget, Carla, Deb, Pink Pearl, Kevin......I was so upset after work I went and had a couple of beers - lost interest in that real quick - smoke in that little pub was BAD........went home-boo hoo- went to sleep. Some good news - one of the girls I work with is going to take over my contract but that leaves me hanging if she defaults - but will work for now while I try to resolve this issue. I did call Discover and they said if I signed permission for them to use the charge card then Discover has to honor it until the issue is resovled with me and them. I have an issue with that now - in addition to the contract. Okla says no cancellation time limit on "service" contracts. I did call the health Dept and I have been referred to the Attorney Generals Office and I will do that also. I was very upfront with the Tan company and told them I will now die trying to get warnings put on everything to do with the dye they use - which has dihydroxyacetone - and which they maintain is not a problem since you are exposed to the solution in mist form for a short time - . If you read the MSDS on that dihyd....it states many things and one of them being "harmful by inhalation". In all sincereity, the tan looks great..and I do not want to put them out of business - ONLY to make sure they have to warn the world about the solution ......I am still on my rant and thanks for all the ideas and support - keep them coming - it is hard since I have no home computer but I will get this resolved ...I am also notifying BCBS and COPD International and the Asthma Center at the OU Med complex. It now is more than about the money - it is about what is right and my responsibility to warn others. By the way - I wanted a cig so bad last night - thinking of all you quitters in the same boat and The Big Man got me past that - I am not alone! There is one thing I have been omitting as I cannot hardly bear to think about it. The spray booth is enclosed in itself - but it sits in a slightly larger room so you can take off clothing..etc. Some of the mist escapse into that enclosure as you open and close the door to the booth...........my daughter in law takes my four year old granddaughter with her every other morning and my granddaughter sits in that larger room that contains the booth while her Mom tans. My G-baby is safe as the room locks and it only takes about 2 minutes for her Mom to tan but what about the vapors on a little lung and how do I tell her about all this - remember - my daughter in law does not relate to women well - she lost her Mom at 14 - I am trying to get the file together and go to my Son in private with it ? I know they do not know the truth about the solution - she is just touchy about me getting involved with anything she does and is kind of jealous of my son and I being so close. Any advice?

Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 1, 2008 12:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardi,

The only way to convey to your daughter-in-law is through trust and love. Begin with just your own story on the tan and how it has affected you. Not with any condemnation or high and mighty attitude, but just as matter of fact as possible. And how, since it affected you so adversely, that you did some digging on the chemical to find out why it affect you so badly...and what you discovered and found out about it. Make it just about you for right now, and tying the truth in with your own story of what you are going through.

And in the great scheme of relationship with her....begin small in steps building a foundation of trust. Relationships grow....and trust and unconditional love is the stuff they are made of. Offenses cause wounds, as it's written...a brother offended is harder to be won than a city....loose paraphrase there....it's in proverbs Wink

Maybe spend some casual one on one time with her...without your son...being totally focused and involved in her will help to build the relationship. Include her as much as possible when with your son, and maybe even asking for her opinion on matters, etc to help build her self-esteem and sense of worth with you. Basically, she loves your son, and a close relationship between you and him, she may perceive as a threat to their own relationship together. And when you convey to her that you love her just as much...that perceived threat will begin to fade and she will trust more.

Back to the granddaughter.....some way with your own testimony on the tanning solution, bringing the truth of it to surface, and also pray for God to enlighten her heart and open her eyes to such truth, and that she have a change of heart.....and then, she will/may decide "on her own" that the stuff is bad and not want to expose her daughter to it. Prayer Mardi....we bring the truth....and God does the changing and enlightening of the heart and mind. Wink

Love and Hugs
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 1, 2008 6:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing to add to what deb said, but i wanted to encourage you to give that tan company hell. Wink

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: July 7, 2008 4:26 PM    Post subject: Deb/Kevin Reply with quote

Deb - again/thanks for the advice - it is in the works now - gathering data to back up my claims for my Daughter -In -Law. Next time you and hubby might be passing through OKLA let me know if you have time to stop for a cup of java...........

Kevin - I am making them have a headache for sure even though they did let Michelle buy out my contract - what they did and are doing is WRONG and I will not let up. They already asked me who told me to ask them for a MSDS for the Mystic Tan solution. (I maintain our MSDS at my job).

I will never quit on this - it is like smoking - they let us do it without warning for years and later on it tries to kill us......no one controls use of this stuff as far as I can find out for now......

I hope you all had a good 4th - I went to my VFW (i'm auxillary) and had to leave right after they served the hot dogs as they served in the Cantina and it was so full of smoke and so smelly that me and the non-smoking Vet I took as my guest could not even enjoy the food or the celebration. Kent, my guest, quit five years ago and he never complains but he was complaining about that. They have two smoke-eaters in the Cantina but they could not hold up to the deal. I still had a good three day weekend and hope all of you did also.

Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 7, 2008 7:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that makes my temperature boil....how about running an ad in your local paper or community shoppers guide stating your predicament? Word of mouth is what will get them the most, contract or none. There has to be some way to default on this and remain legal....

my sister got in the same shape except she signed with a health club and then was unable to workout...they tried to hold her to it but by the time I let the guy off the phone, he was willing to do just about anything.....I paid a small percent of what she owed and told him he was lucky to get that..... Laughing Laughing Laughing ..in her case, I just said sue her.....can't get blood out of a turnip! take the offer or lose it all.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Idream

Quit Date:
October 9, 2006

PostPosted: July 8, 2008 10:06 AM    Post subject: Thanks Cowgirl Up! Reply with quote

I sure appreciate all the concern/support and the fight is still on - I will keep you guys posted as new events arise. Thanks Mardi

Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 8, 2008 9:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about this Mardi, you would think they would legally have to list the possible harmful effects of their product...if nothing else, maybe you can get them to add the precaution to their contracts...at least it would benefit others.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: