quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I Can Do It!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 22, 2008 6:12 PM    Post subject: I Can Do It! Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all,

After the smokescreen so many things happen and I can really relate to that personally. I will sometimes tell new quitters how I kept my quit in the early days. I will explain how telling myself affirmations over and over like, "there's no excuse to smoke, I will not smoke no matter what," had got me to this day in my quit. I failed to see until lately that using affirmations for other things that I've been so conditioned to believe otherwise can help me also. It is so hard to re-program my way of thinking to, "I can do whatever I put my mind to," because I have been told over and over by authority figures all my life that I can not. It goes a lot further than just telling myself I can do this or that over and over. It also entails discarding the negetivity in my life and for me that meant discarding a lot of people in my life. Since my split with my ex, many people have come into and out of my life.

In the beginning of my independance from bondage I was miserable. I confused being on my own as something terrible instead of thinking how truly lucky I was to be on my way to independance. I would have never guessed it back then. I can for the 1st time in my life now do what I want and need to without sacraficing for others. I no longer feel that I need to be constantly with someone. Once I stopped feeling sorry for myself, thinking that being on my own must have meant loneliness or something bad, I started thinking how much I do have going for me. At one time I felt so terrible not to ever had any kids but now I can turn that around to; now I can have a career that I love and not hate. I had lost sight of what I want and what is best for me because of being dependant on other's expectations.

For me to be independant and start to think of what I need to do now that I am independant was not easy to do. It took a lot of re-programing and that came from a lot of the "right" people that I have met online since I quit smoking and some of the "right" people I met in 3-D since my split with my ex. I know that if I had not stopped smoking I would still be behind the smokescreen like I once was. I would be like so many of the ones I hear say now, "I want to quit smoking but I can't. I would quit but I have all this stress." It goes back the the affirmations I used in my early quit and that believing is achieiving. Say, I Can and I know I am going to start to use affirmations to change how the expectations of the others in my life have told me I Can't in certain areas of my life.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 23, 2008 12:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara - that's a very insightful post!!!
Keep reinforcing the positives....and we should always be aware of the messages we are sending ourselves....make sure the affirmations are positives! Barbara....don't sell yourself short...dreams are essential...the possibilities are limitless....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 23, 2008 2:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

How right you are Barb. If you can go out to dinner by yourself, and find your dinner companion fascinating, you've come a long way. You're not alone in thinking that quitting smoking was just the beginning for a lot of us, and that it opened a door to so many other possiblities. I always said, "if I can quit smoking, I can do anything, and how true it is!"

Thanks for reminding me. Now, if only that positive thinking worked on Lotto!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 23, 2008 3:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you Mary and Pamela. Pamela, yea it would be something if we could say I Can win the lottery and it would happen. Thanks for the chuckle.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 23, 2008 4:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post, barbara!

it's so easy to believe that we can't do the things we want to do when one of them is quitting smoking and we've failed at that time and time again, but once we get past that, it gets easier to believe that we can do anything.

and we can.

(well, except for win the lotto at will... Wink )

Very Happy

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 23, 2008 5:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but with the lotto...you can't win if you don't play....
We can all keep dreaming though... dreams are a good thing to have...

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 23, 2008 8:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Kevin and Mary.

With quitting I also learned discipline is one big factor to what one wants. Anything worth having is well worth the effort of hard work and it takes discipline to get that work done.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: