quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mood Swings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidnightWolf

Quit Date:
September 24, 2008

PostPosted: September 21, 2008 5:15 PM    Post subject: Mood Swings Reply with quote

I have not reached menopause but for me there is always that one week out of every month that my hormones get crazy and I have mood swings. Some highs and some lows. This is when I smoke the most because it seems that every thing irritates me.

During counseling for my anxiety, I learned that belly breathing exercises helped me relax more and calm down. This is when I took a big interest in yoga. But to smoke and do yoga???

Then I realize that there is a relaxing effect when you inhale and exhale smoke just about like the belly breathing exercises.

This gives me another drive to quit smoking so I can do yoga & the belly breathing with clean air. I'd rather do this for my mood swings than to smoke.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2008 11:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy - maybe a yoga class can be your reward for quitting! I love yoga - and learning to breath is part of it. I started doing deep breathing for calming when I quit - and yoga reinforced the centering-effect of breathing. You can do it!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2008 9:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mary. When I quit, the deep breathing not only helped with those initial urges and cravings, but just the relaxing and calming effect it had. Now, when stressed, I don't even think about it...I just automatically take a deep breath. It's so cleansing at the moment.

One other benefit...it also helps to aid in the healing of the lungs and increase the breathing capacity.

I am pre-menopause. That wild time right before the change. Mood swings...and yes, the breathing helps with this.

Hugs

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
MidnightWolf

Quit Date:
September 24, 2008

PostPosted: September 26, 2008 12:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you MaryDude & Seabrez....yes I think I will make Yoga my reward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: