quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I really hate this part of quitting- bad day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabrielle

Quit Date:
October 14, 2008

PostPosted: October 20, 2008 8:17 AM    Post subject: I really hate this part of quitting- bad day! Reply with quote

Hi- I am new and introduced myself yesterday. This is my 8th day. I had a few really rough days last week, but my willpower was strong so I sucked it up, stayed away from people, and dealt with my miserable self. I had a great weekend. Went to a great movie last night and was so happy I didn't have to suck that stick down to the filter because god forbid I can't have a cigarette for a whole 2 hours during a movie! And when we got out of the movie I didn't have to run to the exit and light up. I watched one guy do this and felt so good about myself that I didn't have to. How can things change so quickly overnight? I feel like crap today. Hostile, depressed, miserable. I don't want to smoke again (and I am not going to), but these feelings suck. I am so mad that I quit 3 other times, just to be back here again. Stupid addiction. Stupid me for starting again. I know. I should not do that to myself, but that is how I feel right now. If this post should have gone in the rant section, I apologize. I am not just venting. I guess I am looking for words of wisdom. Grrrrrrr. This part sucks. Did I say that yet?! Laughing The first week is hard, but the willpower is strong. I actually got lulled into a false sense of ease because this weekend went so smoothly. I thought "ahhh- ok- it is only going to get easier from here". BS. I feel tricked again by cigarettes and the addiction. That's what addictions do, right? Trick you. Anyway- I am looking for help in getting through today, next few days...
chilly101

Quit Date:
October 10, 2008

PostPosted: October 20, 2008 9:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gabrielle !!
Quote:
This is my 8th day

Congrats on that first and foremost!! I think we all get days when it seems harder than it should, im only on my 10th day so can really relate to what your saying . It does suck but it heaps huge rewards and you know that.
The addiction is gonna do all it can to try and get you to drop your guard but each time you recognise and beat it the weaker it gets.
I think you just have to keep going with what you are doing....you know the addiction for what it is...and you know how to beat it. It will get easier and better Smile
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 20, 2008 11:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Gabrielle!

Yep, the roller coaster sucks...up and down. Feeling on top of the world, and then ugh. Rolling Eyes It does get better. It's hard to shake those ugh feelings sometimes....just want to kick or scream or something. Wink Well, over the weekend, you were enjoying life, and away from the daily routine. It's back to the daily grind....and it could be just that. The same ole same ole...and with that...the same ole same ole of the old smoking ways rearing up. Take some deep breaths, and do something nice for yourself to change the scenery in the head. Do something to jolt those feel good feelings. Yep, the addiction likes...no, loves to play head games. Psych it out by giving yourself a treat, and stick your tongue out at it! Wink saying na-na-naha...you can't have me! Wink

Seriously, just wait it out...it will pass. Fun, no....it sucks...but it will pass. Trying diverting your attention to something else, listen to some music, take a walk, hit a pillow. If you able to focus on somethig else, it'll lessen these feelings.

Hugs, Girl!!! I know this part sucks...but remember it...it will help down the road to remember what you went through to stay free...it's like an insurance policy against relapse later.

Again....Huge Hugs!!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: October 20, 2008 3:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Deb, that is what kept me going, "I never want to go through this again!" With that thought I'm four and a half years quit now. You CAN do this!!!!!!!!!! How bout some HUGS to help ~

Essie
4/14/04
gabrielle

Quit Date:
October 14, 2008

PostPosted: October 20, 2008 6:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugs, words of wisdom and encouragement... all just what I needed. Thank you so much. Love the hugs!!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 20, 2008 11:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

deb's right: the quit is a bit like a rollercoaster; you can be really feeling great about it - and about life in general - and the bottom drops out. but when that happens, you know the next "high" is coming soon (because that's the nature of rollercoasters)...

the trick is not to get too happy when you're on a peak, and not to get too sad when you're in a valley, because your location will change without a moment's notice.

the ride will smooth out, as long as you keep choosing life. eventually, you'll get to a point where you'll look back and realize that you honestly can't remember the last time you even thought about smoking, and when you do, it'll surprise you.

but it'll be a nice surprise... Wink

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: October 21, 2008 4:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabrielle
My personal motto to myself and to to anyone who needs it is this - "be strong, be tuff", the roller coaster of the quit can has tricked so many into taking that disaterous one puff to ease what we believe is pain, when in fact it is a clensing of our body to rid oneself of the active part of this addiction. I say active, as there is a difference bewtween the active addiction and the inactive addiction, you are heading down that road to an inactive addiction, so ride the roller coaster knowing that it soon will be a much smoother ride. It really does get better.
Jim

Never give up on yourself. We are so worth the effort. Smoking creates nothing but misery for us and those around us. Smoking is socially unacceptable everywhere we go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: