quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Annoyances. Venting. Stress relief?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AAM0590

Quit Date:
November 5, 2008

PostPosted: November 11, 2008 2:38 AM    Post subject: Annoyances. Venting. Stress relief? Reply with quote

Five days without a cigarette and I can feel it. I chose a crappy day to quit smoking because the very day I made the decision, a certain manager of mine decided to come back to work. God he really gets me. He's a perfectionist to the extreme, and honestly, in most cases, I can be too. But not when there's only two people in my area at night. See, I work at the local walmart. Good company, comes with benefits, and it pays well. But. I work in the clothing department. The clothing department consists of nine departments in all, including the fitting room phone. So when there's only two people at closing, I tend to do as the old night manager said to. "Just work the perimiter." And it works for me. But not this manager, oh no, things have to look immaculate before I get to go home. I'm usually really well with biting my tounge and just nodding since he is technically my boss. But todays difference was, I got in trouble for having too much overtime. It wasn't my fault I got overtime! If I'd have just left then that would have landed me a verbal and they'd still be unhappy with me. So when I try to explain WHY I was there that late in a dignified classy manner, mind you, I made no comments about how he was being, an overly anal douche bag with a superiority complex, I simply said, "There were only two of us, and the new girl hasn't quite caught on yet, so it took us longer than it normally would have." My return response was "Well you either need to learn how to clock out ON TIME, and learn how to have your work done BEFORE that time, or make the decision on whether or not you really want this job."

That being said, it's no wonder why I'm itching for a cigarette, it's no wonder that I'm always tired and any spare time I have is spent sleeping, and it is certainly no wonder why I would be cranky at the moment.

Hopefully it'll get better in the next two days. On Wednesday I'm going to go to my hometown and see my family, my godson, and my best friend. I'm hoping that a moment of peace and quiet time with my favorite little one year old will do me some good. I'm praying that my self restraint will continue on strong till it's time for me to go home tomorrow, and I'm really hoping and praying that this little trip to my home away from home isn't going to just add more fuel to the fire. I honestly don't know how long I can stand this.

Oh and another thing, he pushed my buttons because he could see I was getting annoyed even though I wasn't saying anything, so he decided to ask my name as if he didn't know it. It went like this: "What's your name again?" "Amelia" "What?" "AMELIA" "Amanda?" "AMELIA" "Okay Amanda what we're gonna do here is...." Normally, that wouldn't bug me as much, I'd more than likely giggle a bit. But god almighty, I was so upset, tired, and it felt degrading. Scowling Demon I need a new job. This one's bad for my health. If anyone, has ANY methods to relieve stress in a healthy, workplace friendly,way, please please please let me know because I'm gonna lose it.[/b]
chilly101

Quit Date:
October 10, 2008

PostPosted: November 11, 2008 4:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
O.k firstly a big congrats on 5 days , great going!
You have got through a tough day , i think i had a tough day on day 5 also of my quit! The important thing is you didnt smoke , and you made your quit even stronger by choosing not to smoke!
Your boss quite clearly needs to learn manners, his man management style will never work therefore he as a boss will never work . So dont get angry by him , feel sorry for him.
You will soon start to find you have new energy levels , your body is working through a process of re configuring itself to that of a non smoker. I was tired in my first week quit also but soon i started to have more energy than i ever did. I think this leads to feeling happier and soon you will start to feel great about yourself and the fact you have quit..
You keep up the good work of not smoking and you can look down at your Godson with more pride than you ever had.
Hang in there....your doing great!
nicfirth

Quit Date:
July 17, 2008

PostPosted: November 11, 2008 5:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the 5 days quit, keep up the good work.

As for the boss, you may find that your tolerance of "idiots" increases returns to normal soon, in the meantime try to keep your head down and stay out of his way as much as possible. You don't want him driving you back to smoking.

In the long term, if he continues to be a jerk, then it could be worth looking for a new job, maybe try to get his, sounds like you'd be better at it!

All the best

Nic
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 11, 2008 9:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia,

A huge congrats on 5 days of freedom!!! And a big KUDOS!! for getting through the confrontation keeping your quit intact!

I use to be an evening customer service manager at a store when living in Maine...and all I can say is this guy has some major issues going on. He's a jerk! In life you'll find those who let their position go to their head and are little dictators often have huge insecurity problems within. They don't feel good about themselves, so they humilate and embarrass others to make themselves feel superior and better. Best stay low as Nic suggested, and if he persists to taunt you, just be very agreeable with him, even if you don't agree. See, these types will never admit to being in the wrong or listen to common sense. It's their way or no way...it's kinda like hitting your head up against a wall. So, stay calm...don't let him see that it bugs you, and just go with the flow as much as possible. Chilly is right...feel sorry for him. If it gets too bad, he does have a superior over him you could log a complaint with. My daughter is dealing with a similiar boss/jerk where she works. Sounds so familiar.... What about transfering departments within the store? Or working during the day instead of in the evening? Just some ideas there.

Stress....take some deep long breaths to ease tension. Take a walk to give yourself a little break and clear the head. I also used a soft ball (hacky sack) to hold and squeeze to get rid of tension energy. A worry stone would work the same way. It's nothing more than a small smooth flat stone that can be held, rubbed, and twirled and such in the hand. And it fits in the pocket. Also overall exercise works wonders.

You're on the right track and that is to get away and regroup....a long break from the everyday stuff. It helps to change scenery when totally stressed out. Also, doing activities that you enjoy...like movies, hanging with friends, and such. It also helps to talk it out. Not at work, but with friends you are able to trust. Just venting helps to relieve the pressure that builds up inside.

As Chilly said, the first part of the quit, fatigue is common. I would sleep alot. But this only last a week or two, and then...bam....energy!! Very Happy The body does go through an adjustment period. Also the emotions and feelings are a roller coaster too. They feel increased with intensity....lows feel worse, and highs feel like your on top of the mountain. This will even out also.

Stay focused....in other words, don't dwell on wanting a cigarette. Get the mind busy thinking on other things. The more one considers a smoke, the more intense it gets. The best way is to remind yourself that one will lead back to a whole pack. Just one is not just one....it's the whole nine yards of being a smoker again. No middle ground here. It's either all or nothing. Have you done any reading at www.whyquit.com ? Go there and read the articles....read Kevin's Tales. These help to keep the mind focused on the truth about the addiction and prevents those excuses and reasonings that attempt one to smoke.

And take it just one moment, one hour and one day at a time. Keep choosing to stay quit...and it will begin to ease in time.

Hugs!!!

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: November 11, 2008 10:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Amelia on staying with your quit through some tough times. If you can do that, you're well on the way to victory over Scowling Demon. Your boss probably let you have it because someone higher up let him have it. If things don't get better, ask to be transferred to another Walgreens in the area. If your part of the country is like ours, there's a Walgreens on almost every corner.

I wish you the best. Enjoy the time you have with your family. That sounds like a terrific way to get work off your mind.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo

Last edited by kannprint on November 27, 2008 10:05 PM; edited 1 time in total
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 11, 2008 12:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia...You can do this and when he gets to you...SMILE!!! Smile at him like you have never smiled before...it will make him wonder and it's harder to get really mad if you are smiling. **Kill him with kindness** It really does work.

Congratz on Day 6....you are really doing great!

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 27, 2008 9:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how your doing?

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: