quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

just can't shake it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 10, 2009 1:06 AM    Post subject: just can't shake it... Reply with quote

The thoughts of smoking...like I'm forgetting to do something....now let me say I don't plan on EVER smoking again......I'm just tired of the nagging feeling

almost drives you nutty....sitting at the computer and you brain goes, I need to go outside....WHAT? I've been quit for 4 months!

just nutty....I think it's stress which has been a lot lately but wow, I thought I had a hold of all these thoughts and month 4 was going to be better.

anyway...just had to vent........

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

nicfirth

Quit Date:
July 17, 2008

PostPosted: March 10, 2009 6:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Over the years we develop many associations with smoking. Whether it be a situation or an emotion we are in we always had a smoke at that point.

In the 1st few weeks quit we break many of the associations and while it would be lovely if we could break them all in just a few weeks it is unrealistic that years and years of learned behaviour can be put aside so quickly.

I believe that we have to practice and get used to being a non smoker, I find that during periods of boredom and while driving it still feels unnatural not smoking. These feelings are decreasing but they are still with me!!

At some points the desire to smokes gets stronger for a period, then subsides, but these feelings are very different from the kind of cravings for a smoke that I had in the 1st few days of my quit.

Smoking used to be a BIG part of our lives, don't expect to forget about it like just like that. Its a bit like when you loose a relative you can immediately think, Oh I'll just ask so and so, for years after!

I have come to believe having those thoughts and feelings is perfectly normal its how you deal with them that is important and as time goes by they become less intense, well most of the time anyway!

Cheers

Nic

Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 10, 2009 7:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nic

I completely agree with you ... very logical!

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 10, 2009 9:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're strength will get you through, Tracy. You know, logically, that you don't want to get involved with nicotine ever again and you won't. When you get that "I need a cig" feeling, do some deep breathing exercises and enjoy getting that wonderful oxygen deep into your lungs; the lungs that nicotine was going to destroy.

Have a great day and watch out for our St. Louis storms this afternoon/evening. Take care. Smile

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 10, 2009 9:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't try to get a hold of all those thoughts, tracy; notice them ("oh. having a thought about smoking." no big deal), and let them go. if you try to fight them, they'll fight back; if you let them go, they'll go away.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: March 10, 2009 10:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

nic said :I believe that we have to practice and get used to being a non smoker, I find that during periods of boredom and while driving it still feels unnatural not smoking. These feelings are decreasing but they are still with me!!

I agree with that 100%!

and Kevin, that is so true.

My avatars name is moon ray
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 10, 2009 10:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is it though...I've tried to just say oh well...thinking it will go away and last night I was just fit to be tied....I was like...IS THIS EVER GOING TO END?

I know it will eventually...I just want it to end now Very Happy

patience is not my virtue

~Tracy

Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: March 10, 2009 2:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what eveyone said. The harder you fight these thoughts the more it becomes THE thought. take note of them and let them drift off as if they were part of the wind. I know how stess can make it so that you want to smoke lord knows I have had enough of that lately. But again and I can't stress this enought take note of it and let it dirft away. It is but amemory and remember with each thing you hae done in the past that is associated with smoking again you will be taking note of that again and it will hityou but the thing is to NOT smoke.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 11, 2009 12:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

tracy wrote:
IS THIS EVER GOING TO END?

some days are like that; i never said it would always be easy to let them go...

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: March 11, 2009 1:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right that it will get better. Though every quit is different for everyone.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 11, 2009 7:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys....I just needed to whine a little...I love all the responses and agree with them all.

~Tracy

Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: March 11, 2009 11:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy...sorry your brain is throwing reminders at you...old Laughing Demon is a sly devil. I think we all have that experience to some degree. You can imagine my chagrin when I spent nearly two minutes digging through my purse looking for my cigarettes....only to have a "daaaah" moment when I remembered that I'd been quit nearly six months!!

One day at a time!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 12, 2009 1:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Mary...that just made me giggle....thank you so much!

~Tracy

Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: March 15, 2009 8:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

When those nagging thoughts come, that is a great time to pull out your reason to quit list. Also adding some reasons to that list will send nicodemon running. Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: