quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cycling.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StuartH

Quit Date:
September 12, 2008

PostPosted: June 8, 2009 2:40 AM    Post subject: Cycling..... Reply with quote

.....Is a wet and cold business sometimes...

But all of us in the team that set out yesterday finished our job.

Me personally, 100 miles in 6hours 48 minutes - 14.98mph average Very Happy

Really very pleased with that.
One of the team members, Ivor, decided that he doesn't like working in sales and wants to be a journalist.... here's his report of the day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cromer Crabbers completed their sponsored bike ride on Sunday. Ivor Rowlands describes the day.

There is a place on the Norfolk coast called SEA PALLING. As we entered the village and cycled past the sign welcoming travellers, the droplets of rain on the lens of my sunglasses obscured the first two letters of the name, leaving the word APALLING visible. No one word could have better described the weather at that particular point on our journey. The rain was lashing down in huge round drops, stinging hands and knees as we rode along, the wind was fierce - straight in our faces - and the cold was numbing. This was not the scenario I had expected when I agreed to push myself beyond my known limits with a leisurely 100 mile cycle around the Norfolk coast in flaming June!

All of the Crabbers were successful in their quest to complete their selected route - David, Stuart, Michah & I the 100 mile circuit, and Karen, Michele, Ian & Chris the 50 mile circuit.

With a designated start time of 7.20am, the 100 milers were the first to set off - although only Michah managed to do so on time. the rest of us were waiting at the start line for her to arrive, only to find out 15 minutes later that she had already set off and was well on the way to the first refreshment stop.

David Curtis is a dark horse. Having persuaded everyone at Cromer that he was unfit, out of shape and had never really ridden a bike any distance since he was a youth, we were all a bit concerned that 100 miles might just be too much for a man of his mature years. Not a bit of it. When we arrived at the start, he was equipped with a selection of accesories and equipment that would have made Chris Hoy green with envy!

Here was a man with either more money than sense or a really keen interest in cycling.

About three miles out of Norwich, during an all too rare and*brief spell with no rain, it was soon clear that it was the latter. Anybody who can remove a waterproof coat, fold it up and stow it away in their saddle bag without even slowing down -*never mind stopping - is more than just a fair-weather cyclist in my book. Not only that, but by now David was speeding ahead of Stuart & me, so we settled back to a more sensible pace.

We caught up with David about 2 hours in, at a refreshment stop. By now he had caught up with Michah, and from that point onwards, David and Stuart sped off, leaving Michah and me plodding along at our own workmanlike pace against the wind, rain and cold. From here on, the weather just got worse and worse - constant steady rain, apart from when it was pouring down, strong gusty wind and very cold - right up until we reached the "2 miles to go" sign when the sun came out!

Stuart & David finished in about 7 hours and Michah & I made it in just under 8 - not bad, even though I say so myself!

The 50 milers started their route at about 8am. From the outset, it was clear the boys weren't going to hang around and Chris & Ian sped off ahead, hoping to get back to the pub by lunchtime. Despite both of them being delayed by punctures they made it back in good time, although Ian admitted it had been a lot harder than he had anticipated and promised to do some training next time.

Karen & Michele went at their own pace and were not too impressed with the weather. Fortunately, about halfway round, the route went right past Michele's house so they managed to sneak inside for some lunch, a shot of warming whiskey and to wring out some of the water from their socks.

Despite the APPALLING weather and the sore backsides and aching bodies, this was a really enjoyable experience for all of us - and we've managed to raise some money for The British Heart Foundation along the way.

Many thanks to everyone who*has sponsored us and for those who haven't yet got round to it, there is still time to do so by clicking on the link below.

http://www.justgiving.com/norwich50100

Totally tobacco free - Cannot guarantee nut free
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 8, 2009 10:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

david is what we'd call a "sandbagger" over here (unless, of course, he'd got you to make a bet with him based on your expectations of his supposedly reduced capabilities; then we'd have another name for him Wink ).

sounds like fun (well, at least the last 2 miles)...

thanks for sharing the story, congratulations on your accomplishment (i doubt i could average 14 miles a day on a bike), and my compliments to ivor for a well-done write-up!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: June 8, 2009 8:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!

My avatars name is moon ray
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: June 8, 2009 11:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine...that's a long bike ride...and you'd think you could have requested better weather...congrats on your success!!

thanks for sharing!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
StuartH

Quit Date:
September 12, 2008

PostPosted: June 9, 2009 2:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks.
I know I don't post much on the forum, but I still feel like "one of you".... thanks very much Very Happy

Totally tobacco free - Cannot guarantee nut free

Last edited by StuartH on June 11, 2009 2:56 AM; edited 1 time in total
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: June 10, 2009 10:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are one of us Stuart, a super quitter! You are doing great ~ a quitter AND all that exercise, Wow!! Smile

Essie
4/14/04
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: