quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Back Again For Support
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: June 23, 2009 9:13 PM    Post subject: Back Again For Support Reply with quote

It's way past time that I return here because I have been smoking off and on for about two months and, once again, I want to stop. I'm not committed to it yet, but I'm moving in that direction. I just know that I can't do it all alone. I need to get immersed in quit stories and get some wise feedback. I have to get back to doing the work. I have to build up the confidence that I can quit. This will be my third serious attempt at it in a decade. I know that repeated attempts are for most people normal and that the more you stick to quitting, however many times, the greater the chance of quitting for good. I don't want to ever give up on quitting. That's the main thing.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for participating in this group.

Kate
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: June 23, 2009 11:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right on many points Kate - remember - never quit quitting...and learn from attempts that didn't quite work - and plan a way to overcome the obstacle...next time!

You CAN do it...choose freedom - and take it one day at a time!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 23, 2009 11:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can do this, kate. welcome back.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
nicfirth

Quit Date:
July 17, 2008

PostPosted: June 24, 2009 3:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back,

The future is in your hands, make this the quit that sticks!

All the best

Nic

essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: June 24, 2009 11:14 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Welcome Back! NEVER QUIT QUITTING!

Essie
4/14/04
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: July 20, 2009 9:26 PM    Post subject: First Day Again Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Well, last week, while I was smoking, I started to get a pain in my upper right arm when I breathed deeply and that decided me. Today I quit smoking and made an appointment to see my doctor. So, I got through today in pretty good shape and am turning back to the NOPE (not one puff ever) philosophy. The main thing I have to tell myself is that I don't NEED to smoke, that I can live quite happily without ever having to suck toxic waste into my lungs. Right now, I'm doing this one day at a time, finding good substitutes for cigarettes, and I will praise myself each day I'm free of them.

Something I have to drill into my head is that I must come here first when the urge strikes hard, whether it be in the next few days or weeks or months. In the past I haven't done that, haven't given myself a chance or given others a chance to help me or me them.

I also need to make a list of why it feels good NOT TO SMOKE. There really is a sense of freedom in not smoking that I respect and like. The illusion that smoking relieves tension is broken when I feel how much less stress I generally feel when I don't smoke. No waste of money, no counting down of how many cigarettes I have left, no personal discomfort from my friends who don't smoke and don't like smoking, much less fear of potential heart attack or stroke, no guilt and shame just for starters.

I am now a NON SMOKER.

May I always be...

Kate
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: July 20, 2009 9:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome back!

My avatars name is moon ray
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 21, 2009 12:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

good start Kate - keep telling yourself that its your choice to not smoke! Keep choosing FREEDOM!! Keep a journal and try to post here...remember - smoking is not an option! Tell yourself that until you make it true for you! Think about what you're week one reward will be...and before you know it - you'll be there! Just one day at a time!

Mary D.
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: July 23, 2009 5:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Kate! You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself!

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: July 23, 2009 6:35 PM    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks Everyone,

This is my fourth smoke free day. I went to see my doctor today and I am okay, thank goodness, but, in a weird way, I'm kind of glad that I got a scare because it helped me to quit again. I can't afford to smoke, literally and figuratively and health wise. Smoking is not an option. But in typical addict fashion, I have been relying somewhat on coffee during the day. Luckily I rarely smoked and drank coffee, so there's not a trigger there for me. I'm also lucky that I'm not feeling any withdrawal symptoms. The pull for me is emotional. I have to be on my guard because of that. It's sometimes hard when I see people outside smoking. I just have to reinforce at those times that I am a non smoker and remain non judgmental of myself and them.

Kate
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: July 23, 2009 10:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this Kate...take it one day at a time and get your mindset right....there is only one way to quit....Quit!!!! use whatever you have to but bottom line is QUIT....I used to want to strangle Melody for that..QUIT MEANS QUIT...but hey, she was so right....Make up your mind that you have quit for good and nothing will make you smoke...go ahead the choice is yours...choose to stay smoke free first thing each morning and be thankful last thing each night.....
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Wanderer62

Quit Date:
April 30, 2014

PostPosted: July 23, 2009 11:14 PM    Post subject: Quit Means Quit Reply with quote

Thanks Kay for the wise words. Intellectually I know Quit means Quit, but emotionally I'm shakier, though I must say tonight I was proud of myself--I was doing some cleaning and I found a cigarette and I just broke it apart right away and got rid of it. A little later, I had the desire to smoke and I said out loud firmly "NO" and that helped too. It's like I'm dealing with the kid inside me and I have to teach that kid that NO means NO. So I just have to keep reinforcing the NO in my life. And really, there is so much that is good out there that has nothing to do with smoking cigarettes. I DO have other things to turn to. I am not bereft and miserable. I have no good excuse TO smoke.

I saw my doctor today. My blood pressure is good, my pulse is good, my lungs and heart sound good and my weight is down (which for me is a good thing). He said what I experienced might have been something called pleurisy, something smokers sometimes get, and that it is not life threatening. I felt relieved and positive when I left his office and I still feel positive--onward to tomorrow, my 5th day smoke free!

Kate
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 23, 2009 11:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

one day, one hour, one moment at a time, kate - keep it going! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 24, 2009 7:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate - wtg - you are almost through your first week! Stick with it...you've already processed the nicotine out of your body - keep taking it one day at a time! Good job with destroying the cancer stick you found - that can be a difficult moment - but you knew what to do!

Keep posting and we'll keep encouraging you! The weekend is coming - make sure you mentally prepare - the weekend routines are different than Monday to Friday - and can present new challenges! Just think it through and old Laughing Demon won't trip you up!

Mary D.
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: July 25, 2009 11:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Kate.
Jim

Never give up on yourself. We are so worth the effort. Smoking creates nothing but misery for us and those around us. Smoking is socially unacceptable everywhere we go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: