quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I want to do something....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elarya

Quit Date:
November 18, 2008

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 2:11 AM    Post subject: I want to do something.... Reply with quote

I have a home business... I do not make a lot, but enough to put food on the table and give the kids what they need (I am a single mom). So, I have been brainstorming of some way incorporate my business to encourage, and maybe even reward those who quit.

Basically, I design patterns for people to crochet. Let me know if you would like more details about my business to get more of an idea of how to cultivate this idea I have...

In a few days, I will be announcing on my blog (where fellow designers read, publishers, editors read, even my kids' teachers read) that I quit smoking, and that well, I used to be a smoker. And when I do that, I would like to announce some sort of program, or something. And it is that something I would like to figure out....

I think it would have to be on the honor system.. because how would people be able to prove they quit?? Anyway, I was thinking maybe something along the lines if someone quits and maybe stays quit XX days, they would receive a $5 certificate.

Because I do not make much and pretty much everything goes to the kids, I have to be careful. But also, I want to help as many people any way I can to quit the nasty habit. Most of my patterns are PDF, so there is no financial loss in those, only the potential future sale. The only monetary loss is when someone purchases a printed book, where I pay both the cost of the book and shipping.

It would be nice if there was no monetary loss! But not sure how I can go about that.. and I am not sure how much the certificate would be.. and then I think about, what about those who never smoked?

Any thoughts or ideas are VERY welcome, as this is something I am very passionate about. I know, I will never smoke again, without a doubt - I am done, forever a quit...
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 9:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

two thoughts:

first of all, i would not offer them a blanket discount - especially on something you have hard costs for, like a physical book - i'd offer them something they could download, like a pdf.

second, i'd make them "prove it" by doing something inconvenient for them; i.e., make them email you or fill out a form on your site three times at certain intervals (for instance, you could have a form on your site that invites them to let you know how they're doing, and if they fill out the form and let you know they're still quit once a week for three weeks, they get a free pattern of their choice).

if you offer them the reward just for the asking, you're going to end up giving away a certain number of rewards to active smokers (or even people who never smoked at all). but if you make them show some commitment, that's much less likely. (and, as a bonus, you get the chance to build relationships with those people and turn them into paying/returning customers, if they're not paying/returning customers already.)

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 9:48 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, you always come up with fantastic ideas. How do you do it?

As an avid crocheter (is that a word?), Elarya, I'm always seeking new patterns and would certainly consider that a reward for quitting. I love your idea of helping others quit. What is your web address?

Good luck with this new endeavor.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Elarya

Quit Date:
November 18, 2008

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 10:01 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, those are some great ideas to implement it.. and maybe I could have this for those who have it as their New Year's Resolution or something? Hmm, will need to brainstorm on this more.. Definitely good idea to make it PDF only..

Kannprint: Since you crochet, have you heard of the Crochet Garden? If so, that is me, and how I am pretty much known around the internet as... web address is at crochetgarden.com and the blog, where I will be announcing my quit is at crochetgarden.com/crochetblog Let me know what you think.. and how much is good for a certificate.. I know my patterns will not make someone quit smoking (I wish), but maybe some sort of like little reward to keep people going or get started...
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 10:06 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a .pdf. You can make an unique design for those who have quit smoking and proves it to you...I agree with Kevin on that.

I understand you would like to give more but you have to think of your business and $$ gift won't help the business.

Making that quitter feel "special" is all we really need sometimes, isn't it?

Good luck with this, Elarya.....I love it that you want to spread the word!

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

Elarya

Quit Date:
November 18, 2008

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 10:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tracy!

I would love to do the honor system and keep it an on going thing, but I am sure I need to come up with some sort of ramifications to keep it in check... I think Kevin's filling out a form is a phenomenal idea...

And yeah, I want to spread the word.. at first I was hesitant, but everyone has done something they are not proud of, or something they regret.. just means we are all not alone..
Kissimee

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 11:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are NEVER alone here!

It's good to be a part of the family at Woofmang!

I can NOT control the addiction because if I could, it would NOT be an addiction...BUT I can control ME, the addict.
~Tracy

kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: December 31, 2008 6:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read in the newspaper that President Elect Obama is a smoker and is attempting to quit. Someone should tell him about woofmang. So don't feel you're the only one who's done something you're not proud of and regret. Everyone has and will. I admire your wanting to help others. Now there's something to be proud of!! Very Happy

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Greatly

Quit Date:
September 18, 2004

PostPosted: August 9, 2009 12:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kevin"]two thoughts:

first of all, i would not offer them a blanket discount - especially on something you have hard costs for, like a physical book - i'd offer them something they could download, like a pdf.

second, i'd make them "prove it" by doing something inconvenient for them; i.e., make them email you or fill out a form on your site three times at certain intervals (for instance, you could have a form on your site that invites them to let you know how they're doing, and if they fill out the form and let you know they're still quit once a week for three weeks, they get a free pattern of their choice).

if you offer them the reward just for the asking, you're going to end up giving away a certain number of rewards to active smokers (or even people who never smoked at all). but if you make them show some commitment, that's much less likely. (and, as a bonus, you get the chance to build relationships with those people and turn them into paying/returning customers, if they're not paying/returning customers already.)[/quote][size=18][/size][size=12][/size]

With God's help and yours, I have been free for one whole day. I hope I can say the same thing tomorrow. There is no time BUT the present!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > taking action All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: