quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU SLIP BACK AND SMOKE 2 CIGS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freebirdgirl

Quit Date:
August 24, 2009

PostPosted: September 3, 2009 2:08 AM    Post subject: WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU SLIP BACK AND SMOKE 2 CIGS? Reply with quote

tODAY WAS MY 10TH DAY AND I SLIPPED BACKWARDS BECAUSE AT ABOUT 1AM, MY ANXIETY CAME BACK ON ME. I DID HAVE MEDICATION FOR ANXIETY BUT I TOOK THEM ALL AND NOW HERE I AM AT 2AM FEELING LIKE I LET MYSELF DOWN, SCARED, DISGUSTED BUT YET I AM NOT GOING TO LET THIS SLIP STOP ME TOMMORROW OR NEXT WEEK OR NEXT MONTH.
IT'S QUIET HERE, EVERYONE ALSEEP EXCEPT ME. I TRIED DEEP BREATHING EXCERISING, BUT IT DID NOT HELP. IM WATCHING AN OLD BETTY DAVIS MOVIE BUT CAN'T GET INTERESTED IN IT. I DON'T HAVE ANY PATCHES UNTIL TOMMORROW. SO I GUESS I WILL JUST WALK BACK AND FORTH TILL IM SO TIRED I HAVE TO SLEEP. Mad Crying or Very sad
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 3, 2009 7:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...you just get right back to your QUIT....develop a plan for the next time you run into the same situation - so you can get through it without smoking - and don't let a slip stop you from breaking the chains of nicotine addiction. Maybe a warm relaxing soak in the bathtub could have helped. Stay the course...and add "smoking is not an option" to your self-talk....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 3, 2009 11:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all, you stop trying to kid yourself by saying you "slipped": slipping is something that happens to you; you're walking on an icy sidewalk, you slip, you fall. you can't control it; it's an accident.

but what you did was no accident: you made a deliberate, conscious choice to feed your addiction to nicotine, you went and found a cigarette, you put it in your mouth, you applied some flame to the other end, and you sucked poison into your lungs. multiple times. then you chose to do it again; you went and got another cigarette, stuck it in your mouth, applied some flame to the other end, and sucked more poison into your lungs.

there was nothing "accidental" about any of that. it was deliberate, conscious behavior that you chose to engage in.

second of all, you stop trying to kid yourself by putting the blame for your own deliberate, consciously-chosen behavior anywhere outside yourself: medication/no medication, patches/no patches, support from anyone else/no support from anyone else: none of it matters. it's your choice that counts, and your choice is the only thing that counts.

bottom line: you have to take responsibility for the choices you make. there are no "accidental" cigarettes, and there's nothing outside of you yourself that can make you smoke or not smoke.

the bad news is, you have to make that choice a lot in the beginning, and every time you're presented with the choice, you have the opportunity to screw it up by choosing to feed your addiction. that's the path of least resistance; it's what you've taught yourself to do for all these years.

the good news is, you have to make that choice a lot in the beginning, and every time you're presented with the choice, you have the opportunity to make the right choice, and every time you make the right choice, it gets easier to make it again the next time.

you can still do this. every day's a new day. make the right choice whenever you get a crave and you'll do fine.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: September 3, 2009 11:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
Quote:
but what you did was no accident: you made a deliberate, conscious choice to feed your addiction to nicotine, you went and found a cigarette, you put it in your mouth, you applied some flame to the other end, and you sucked poison into your lungs. multiple times. then you chose to do it again; you went and got another cigarette, stuck it in your mouth, applied some flame to the other end, and sucked more poison into your lungs.

I agree with kevin here. YOU made the concious choice to smoke. If you really want to do this quit you can but YOU and no one else can make that choice. I did 5 1/2 years ago and iI don't regret it one bit. And god yes they can tell you here the things I want through while going through this quit. Hell there were days that I didn't think I would make ti through another day. I know there are many of us on this site who have been through hell and back and still stayied strong.and if we can do it so can you. It is a choice ofeitehr life or death nothing inbetween

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: September 4, 2009 3:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn it around freebirdgirl.
Choose a better option.
Choose the one where you have control over yourself.
Choose the one that gives your skin a glow!
Your smiles will be bright, your eyes will be alive! This is a decision for you and by you. Give yourself a chance!

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
StuartH

Quit Date:
September 12, 2008

PostPosted: September 7, 2009 5:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin wrote:
first of all, you stop trying to kid yourself by saying you "slipped": slipping is something that happens to you; you're walking on an icy sidewalk, you slip, you fall. you can't control it; it's an accident.

there was nothing "accidental" about any of that. it was deliberate, conscious behavior that you chose to engage in.

second of all, you stop trying to kid yourself by putting the blame for your own deliberate, consciously-chosen behavior anywhere outside yourself: medication/no medication, patches/no patches, support from anyone else/no support from anyone else: none of it matters. it's your choice that counts, and your choice is the only thing that counts.

bottom line: you have to take responsibility for the choices you make. there are no "accidental" cigarettes, and there's nothing outside of you yourself that can make you smoke or not smoke.

the bad news is, you have to make that choice a lot in the beginning, and every time you're presented with the choice, you have the opportunity to screw it up by choosing to feed your addiction. that's the path of least resistance; it's what you've taught yourself to do for all these years.

the good news is, you have to make that choice a lot in the beginning, and every time you're presented with the choice, you have the opportunity to make the right choice, and every time you make the right choice, it gets easier to make it again the next time.

you can still do this. every day's a new day. make the right choice whenever you get a crave and you'll do fine.

Fantastic advice, accept responsibility for your actions and trust your own decisions to quit.

You wouldn't have spent all that time building up to a quit if you didn't mean it, would you?

You wouldn't have taken the time to join a support forum and ask for help if you didn't mean it - would you?

Trust that choice and stick by it when the going gets tough. You can do it.

Stop trying to quit, and quit.

EDIT: I just reread this, and it seems very harsh - sorry for that. It is true though Wink

Totally tobacco free - Cannot guarantee nut free
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 7, 2009 11:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the time the truth is harsh! Don't get mad or upset with us...get mad at your addiction. Lord, I fought the "slip" meaning, I fought the fact that it was my fault, I acted so ugly....in the end, I had to accept the truth and have been quit 5 years. Thanks to the nerve of these people Laughing Laughing Laughing . The medicine for anxiety and the patch will make it easier to do perhaps but it will not do it for you.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Monkeynews

Quit Date:
July 7, 2009

PostPosted: November 20, 2009 10:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to put a stick of pure poison into your mouth and suck those chemicals into your lungs where they will damage your cells down to the genetic material so they are prone to developing tumors that will completely destroy your life and the lives of those that love you?

Because its hard not to? Because I was nervous? Because I just really really missed doing it?

Think about yourself asking that question to another person and hearing those answers. Doesn't it sound ridiculous?
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: November 21, 2009 12:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how are you doing now?

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
SeanBen

Quit Date:
January 1, 2012

PostPosted: August 16, 2012 2:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is very difficult to stay away from such thing but it can be tried hard and it is not that difficult also i can bet..You do this time with full will power than you will come through this..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: