quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Calling All Computer Geeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > just for fun
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 22, 2009 1:59 PM    Post subject: Calling All Computer Geeks Reply with quote

I think it's time (sob) I bought a computer (laptop). I had given up on buying one because I get confused everytime I try to research the different computers available and I just give up. When I talk to salespeople I feel stupid. I don't mind feeling stupid here with you guys.

I want (1) internet access; (2) the ability to download music and movies; and (3) play games. I do not need excel, powerpoint or any accounting programs. I want to spend less than $800. Any suggestions? What are the key words I should look for?

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2009 8:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carla, I'm not a geek at all, but I use computers every day and every night. However, you might just go to Best Buy or one of those places and tell them you want a very basic laptop. It will likely come with an internal modem that will let you connect to the internet IF you first sign up with an internet service. Ask your friends and family who they use for that. Once you have internet service, you can then download games. I see lots of laptops in the Sunday paper for way less than $800. Hope this helps...good luck!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 22, 2009 8:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just wanted to say hello Carla...I know nothing about computers until they are up and running...until then I stay out of the room! You may Pm Kevin or Tom in case they miss this post...Jim would be another I would say who could explain things....ok girls, I am sure there are alot of you out there also...where are you Texas 2 Step?
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 22, 2009 9:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had very good experiences with dell, and i just got frances a refurbished dell desktop (her old one died a couple of weeks ago) from dell financial services (they lease computers to businesses - usually for 2 years - then refurbish them and resell them when the businesses turn them back in).

i just took a look over there, and right now they have over 800 laptops for under $800. the long ugly link below will take you to one that'll more than fit the bill of what you're looking to do for $740 plus shipping.

if you prefer to do a bit more shopping, the main laptop listing page is here:

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dell/laptops/ctl641/cp43620/cl1

if you decide to do a bit more shopping, be careful; some of these laptops have no operating system (if they don't, you'll see "NO OPERATING SYSTEM" in the "operating system" column) and believe me, a non-geek does NOT want to try installing an operating system if they can avoid it.

some things you'll want to look for to do what you want to do:

• fast processor (look for at least 1.8 GHz in the Processor Speed column - the one below has a 2.0 GHz processor)
  • lots of memory (at least 2048 in the RAM column - the one below has 2048)
  • plenty of storage (look for at least 80 in the HD Size column - the one below has 120)
  • good-size display (go for at least 14.1 in the Chassis / Screen Size column; preferably 15.4 Widescreen, like the one below)

(btw: i don't get any commission if you buy your laptop from dell...)

all the software that you need can be downloaded free of charge; if you send me a pm and ask me for recommendations, i'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/StoreCatalog/ctl641/cp/si4243084/cl1/dell_latitude_d630__2000mhz_2048mb__120gb__win_xph_141_dvdrw_10100_nic__56_kbps__8_mb_vram?&path=c641-def-USD-230%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Ec641-def-USD-43620%23%232%23%23my%7E%7Ec641-def-USD-43622%23%230%23%23mx%7E%7Eq&hits=50&sortby=-price+%2Bname&offset=

hope this helps. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2009 8:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions and the encouragement. I needed some language I could understand.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: September 23, 2009 3:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I knew he could do it!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 23, 2009 8:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: September 27, 2009 8:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our new dell laptop was aboug 600 dollars.
has all we need.
bought an att wireless modem from att store for about 60
i believe. also, if you qualify, it seems they always
have 1 year no interest also.

My avatars name is moon ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > just for fun All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: