quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Standoff at a neighbors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 29, 2009 9:22 PM    Post subject: Standoff at a neighbors Reply with quote

There was a bit of excitment where I live today. First I noticed 2 cop cars coming into the apartment complex where I live and talking with my old next door neighbor. Then the police walk to her brother's apartment. Next I noticed more cop cars coming. The cops had my old next door neighbor's brother's apartment surrounded. Then there were around 10 or 11 cop cars. Some type of gun that you could hear a casing hit the ground. It must have been tear gas. Then later the cops bust out the windows to the guys apartment and kick the guys door. They wait awhile before they went in to handcuff the guy and carry him off. That was one heck of a thing to witness.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: September 29, 2009 10:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be unsettling....hope things turn out ok...

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 29, 2009 10:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 30, 2009 1:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called my representitive in my state legislative today to complain about the way the cops and mental health system handled the situation yesterday. The neighbor they arrested has a mental illness and of course if he's paranoid he would not let the cops in. I think it could have been handled by the mental health worker talking to the guy and not the cops being so aggressive. The representitive office's told me they would look into it and see if the way it was handled was the norm. I told them if it is the norm I'd be interested in changing the way that kind of norm would be.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2009 3:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your concern Barb but the police have to consider all the other people in the apartment complex...they must have been called for so much action to be taken...perhaps they were trying to prevent a tragedy and had to move quickly. Sometimes you can not reason with a person who has paranoia because they are not in the moment.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2009 4:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, I agree with you if the situation warranted it but I did not see it that way with my neighbor. I was out and about that day, know the guy they took out, know the mental health system in my county, and saw it all unfold. The guy was not a threat in his apartment to the community. You couldn't even tell he was in there until they brought him out. I don't see how the guy was a threat to others in the neighborhood. And as far as the mental health system in my county I can personally attest to the fact that they are a bunch of non educated people on mental health that have way too much influence and do not use that influence for the good of anyone but their own selves.

I will give you an example. I was a client of the mental health system in my county the whole time I was married. I begged and begged for them to help me leave him. I asked a worker who was young enough to be my granddaughter to take me to the doctor after my husband hit me in the eye. That mental health worker told me she couldn't because she wasn't assigned a car yet. And that was the end of the story for her When I begged her to help me move away from my husband she told me I should get a job 1st and then I could move. I was told by the cheif shrink I should stay with my husband and try to work things out even after he had physically assaulted me again. Need I go on? Or how about the club house they have for the mentally disabled where their main goal is to collect as much money for each attendance from the Federal Goverment? They even kind of harrass you if you don't go. I now see my family doctor for everything. I don't have much faith in the justice system either as I have sure been screwed by them also. When my ex next door neighbor can do what she did to me and the justice system letting her is another story. I have faith in God and myself but have none in the justice system in my county or mental health systems.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2009 5:48 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only speaking from a prior experience where a young man was taken into custody 12 years ago and remains institutionalized...he was quite and reserved when captured but a threat to society just the same. He was once released to a half-way house and then home on a pass...ran to another state...captured and returned...questioned on a murder in the state he ran to....decided he was already incarcerated and did not extradite him back.
Kay

Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 2, 2009 7:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay,

I understand the misconceptions that the public have on the mentally ill. Just because a person is mentally ill though does not increase the chance of them being dangerous. Britney Spears is a very successful and talented person with a mental illness. Patty Duke is ambassador and she has a mental illness. So the public seems to have a misconception of the mentally ill. Spouses kill each other more times than a mentally ill peson will. Drug deals gone bad are the even worse murders. Because of the misconceptions that people have for the mentally ill they get a worse shake then they should get.

I also stand my ground that if a person is quiet while being pursued by the police then they are not a threat to others at that time. They may be a threat at another time but not at that time. And just because they may be a threat at another time does not make it right to destroy property and waste manpower on someone who is quiet when someone who knows how to talk to that person can coax them out.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 3, 2009 8:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not disagreeing with you Barb...I see exactly where you are coming from and just because someone has a label of mental illness does not mean they should be treated without respect. However, in the case I mentioned, the young man thought he worked for the CIA and was on a covert operation....they would have had to try to figure out who he was suppose to be taking orders from to talk him out.
Kay

Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 5, 2009 6:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowgirl UP! wrote:
I understand your concern Barb but the police have to consider all the other people in the apartment complex...they must have been called for so much action to be taken...perhaps they were trying to prevent a tragedy and had to move quickly. Sometimes you can not reason with a person who has paranoia because they are not in the moment.
Kay

Kay the cops were outside my neighbor's house for at least 2 hours before they busted inside so they did not have to move quickly. I also do not think that anyone is qualified to make that judgement about a person saying that the paranoid can not be reasoned with unless that person saying that has personal experience. I have personal experience becasue I remember in my young pot smoking days how the pot would make me paranoid and how I could be reasoned with. I don't recall you being in the mental health field to know from that aspect. Saying that sometimes you can not reason with someone paranoid is too much of a generalized statement. Kind of like the horoscope that everyone says, "oh yea, that fits me!"

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 5, 2009 6:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowgirl UP! wrote:
I was only speaking from a prior experience where a young man was taken into custody 12 years ago and remains institutionalized...he was quite and reserved when captured but a threat to society just the same. He was once released to a half-way house and then home on a pass...ran to another state...captured and returned...questioned on a murder in the state he ran to....decided he was already incarcerated and did not extradite him back.
Kay

Kay, I believe this is the very kind of talk and attitude that gives people with mental illness a bad name. While it is true that some people with a mental illness are dangerous and again because of a few bad apples everyone with a mental illness are seen as dangerous. I wonder if I had not mentioned the fact that my neighbor has a mental illness if you would have thought of that experience of the mentally ill man you speak about? Probably not. Because when someone mentions mental illness the thought that came to your mind usually comes to most people's minds. The thought of mentally ill and dangerous go hand in hand in a lot of peoples minds that do not know from the inside.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 5, 2009 6:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowgirl UP! wrote:
I am not disagreeing with you Barb...I see exactly where you are coming from and just because someone has a label of mental illness does not mean they should be treated without respect. However, in the case I mentioned, the young man thought he worked for the CIA and was on a covert operation....they would have had to try to figure out who he was suppose to be taking orders from to talk him out.
Kay

Kay, I do seem to think that you were disagreeing with me and that's what started this debate. Btw, what degree in psychiatry do you have to say what the authorities would have to do to talk the guy out? I have a BA in being a real nut. Okay, now I'm being sarcastic. Seriously, it gets my blood boiling the way most people think. I do have a mental illness and I'll attest to one thing, all the crap my ex next door neigbhbor put me through I should have beat the pulp out of her as dangerous as the mentally ill seem to be. I am 54 years old and have never hurt anyone.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 5, 2009 9:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear Barb, I am so sorry I have upset you so much...it certainly was not my intention and I apologize to you and any others I may have offended. However, I do not feel I need a degree to have an opinion, the young man I spoke of is my nephew, so I have quite an insight into his diagnosis he is paranoid schizophrenic and my sister who is losing her leg is bipolar. I am afraid there are many different degrees of mental illness and each has to be handled accordingly. I was not trying to put anyone down mentally ill or not but only speaking when I guess I should have kept my mouth shut....it was not my problem and I should not have thought I could make you feel better about the police. Again, I am sorry.
Kay

Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: October 6, 2009 6:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay,

You did not upset me personally. What gets my blood boiling is the overall stigma created by a group of people in the population as a whole. I'm sorry too if I upset you by asking you what degree in psychiatry you had. I knew you had mental illness in your family and and it is hard on those who do. As it is so very difficult for the family to understand what it is really like without experiencing it 1st hand. By this I mean by actualy having a mental illness. It is nice to see the different opinions from the family with loved ones who have mental illness and from those who have a mental illnes. And yes, we both are entitlted to our opinions.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: