quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just quit and looking for friends to help me through the bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m228

Quit Date:
October 16, 2009

PostPosted: October 31, 2009 3:24 PM    Post subject: Just quit and looking for friends to help me through the bad Reply with quote

My name is Moira and I am 52. I just quit 16 days ago and it has been the hardest thing I have ever done. I just lost 37 lbs and that was a breeze compared to quitting smoking. I am a little concerned because my lungs don't seem to be clearing out much and I am not coughing a lot or anything. I did smoke for many years but never a lot, is that a possible explanation? I worry that maybe my lungs won't get better but my breathing is vastly improved and I don't cough or wheeze as I had begun to so I feel much better.

I also wanted to comment that the urge never seems to go away completely, I just find ways to distract myself from it when it becomes too strong, I now have a completely spotless and organized house: every closet, every drawer, every table, every bookshelf, I am running out of projects. I work from home by myself so I have to distract myself most of the time. Will I ever stop wanting to smoke?
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: October 31, 2009 6:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moira and congratulations on your GRAND 16 day quit! That is just awesome. It sounds to me like everything is happening as it should. I didn't cough much at all when I quit. Focus on the good things and the healing that is going on every minute that you put between you and those cigarettes.

Great job!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2009 8:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site, moira, and congratulations on taking back your freedom! yes, you will stop wanting to smoke, and it will surprise you when it happens: you'll just notice one day that you haven't wanted to smoke for hours - then you'll notice that you haven't wanted to smoke for days - eventually, you'll realize you haven't wanted to smoke for so long, you can't remember the last time.

hang in there; it only gets tougher if you decide to smoke again. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 1, 2009 12:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome M,

Yes, there will come a day when you will not think of smoking. It may not seem like it will ever happen at the moment but it will. Your doing good. Maybe if you took a class in something that interests you or took up an old hobby it would help.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 1, 2009 1:11 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Moira - and congrats!! You have a fabulous quit going! And congrats on the weight loss too! The urge to smoke will go away - the when depends on you - everyone is a little different - but it will happen! Have you tried journaling to help pass the time and distract yourself for a little bit? If you are still on a cleaning kick - I have a house that needs cleaning...but that won't really help you. unless by some chance you are in Pittsburgh, Pa! ...sorry! just take it one day at a time!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: November 1, 2009 7:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only a smoker for 6-7 years and I have quit for 6 months. I promise you it gets better. Tell me, are you avoiding stuff that you used to day to day that you smoked during and perhaps you've stopped doing these things due to not wanting to feel the urge to smoke?

My advice, which I think differs from alot of folks, is to tackle one acitvity at a time. I used to get horrible craves when i'd play a basketball video game. It was so bad I just stopped playing it for months. Well, one day I was like "Im gonna play that game" and I kid you not that I got to the LOADING.... screen and just had a urge to smoke! I sat there dumbfounded almost! "I havent wanted to smoke in days yet i still want to when i play this game!" I said to myself. Then I realized I haven't "unlearned" how to play the game without smoking. So I played a game, and again, and again, and now I've learned I don't need to smoke to enjoy it I just play it Smile

I guess what I am trying to say is be aware of your craves so you don't start again but remember that your trying to re-learn how to do everything without a cig. I hope I made some sense to you Smile

Remember, it gets better.

Quit attempt #2!
m228

Quit Date:
October 16, 2009

PostPosted: November 1, 2009 10:34 AM    Post subject: Thank you all for your support Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone taking the time to write and give me encouragement. I can't believe you are still willing to help others even years after you have quit!

I really feel confident I will not give in, it has been too hard to quit, I wouldn't want to do it again. I just want to wake up one day and NOT think about cigarettes so I can know I have won the battle. UGH. What a horrible, horrible thing they are yet I loved them so!

I am sure I will reach out again, it is nice to know there will be people to listen to me!

Thank you all for your help and support.
Beth

Quit Date:
September 3, 2009

PostPosted: November 2, 2009 10:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Moira,

I nearing the second month of my quit. It is difficult. I do wish that I am as organized as you. I find little ways to distract me from the cravings. It is hard and sometimes I just say to myself sit and be still this will pass. I have learned patience through doing this. Quitting is tough and it builds toughness. I am learning to say no to the crave which has taught me to say no to the other things in life that used to lead to stress which made me want to smoke. There are many lessons to be learned while learning to say no to the crave, that help in many other aspects of your life. I tend to focus on these lessons.
Beth
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: November 3, 2009 8:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome!! you have found a wonderful site!!

My avatars name is moon ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: