quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rip off mechanics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 16, 2009 6:27 PM    Post subject: Rip off mechanics Reply with quote

I took my car to the dealership today to get my door adjusted and noticed my car leaking anti-freeze. Well, they told me I needed $1,700 worth of work done to my car. I had the car towed to someone trustwothy and he seems to think all it is is the plastic coolant resevior may be cracked. That's cheap to repair. I am so sick and tired of mechanics screwing people for repairs that are not needed.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 17, 2009 1:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 18, 2009 12:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara - I totally agree...car repairs can be a total rip-off. Its time for me to take my car in for oil change and services. I've had a recent experience that has me being extra cautious...
The last two times I took the car in - the car was returned to me with the tires under-inflated - so that the low tire pressure warning light came on the next day. The first time it happened I took the car back to them to have them check the sensor - and they offered to replace the air in the tires with a different gas that would maintain the pressure more consistently - maybe nitrogen ? It would only cost $100. I then asked what the tire pressure should be in my tires - and they said 30 psi - and I said "wrong - its 35 psi according to the manual and the sticker on the door"...so I asked them to properly inflate the tires with regular air - and the tires and sensor would be fine. The next time I had the car serviced - the tire pressure warning light came on the next day - so I stopped at the gas station and properly inflated the tires to 35 psi - and the warning light went off and hasn't come back on...we'll see if they get it right this time...I think I'll take my pressure gauge with me and check before I drive off the lot...

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: November 18, 2009 1:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, it is good that you didn't let them rip you off. I picked up my car today from an honest mechanic and it was only $60 versus $1,700.

barbara

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: November 18, 2009 5:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning ladies!

Essie
4/14/04
StuartH

Quit Date:
September 12, 2008

PostPosted: November 19, 2009 4:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too long ago, I had an "incident" in my car that saw me flying through the air (literally Shocked ) due to a damaged road surface.

The sump got damaged and all the oil fell out. Had to have the car towed to the nearest garage who quoted me over £1000 to fix it. I paid for the tow and then had the car moved to a garage I had used before who fixed it for under £200.

Now I just need to get the money back from the highways agency as it was their road that caused the accident.

Totally tobacco free - Cannot guarantee nut free
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: November 19, 2009 11:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im very glad I have a mechanic nephew to ask questions too....

My avatars name is moon ray
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: November 21, 2009 12:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been in the parts business for 40 years and have witnessed different garages over charging their customers...please know, they are the worst hagglers buying the part..want it rock bottom and then turn around and sell it at list or over price to you.....I can say that now...just retired... Laughing Laughing
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: