quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

one day down and scared to death by Lynda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardworkingmommie

Quit Date:
December 1, 2009

PostPosted: December 2, 2009 11:06 PM    Post subject: one day down and scared to death by Lynda Reply with quote

scared of failure
scared of weight gain
scared of irritability
scared of how hard it will be

Single mother of two. They want me to quit more than anything. I want to quit for them but not sure if I am prepared to do it for me. Will this be enough. I mean I prefer to be a non-smoker - just not sure if it will be worth the heartache and turmoil.

42 years old - 1 ppd since I was 18. It's time - just really scared.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 2, 2009 11:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - welcome! Quitting is very do-able. Have you made a list of your reasons for wanting to quit? You identified things that concern you - now you need to develop strategies to over come those concerns. You may find that quitting is only as hard as you make it. Every time you feel like smoking - remind yourself that you have a choice - break free of the addiciton - or feed it and strengthen the power of the addiction. Choose to be free! Just one day at a time...one hour or one minute if that's what it takes! Believe you CAN and you will do it...

I was a 1.5ppd smoker for 24 years...I've been smoke free for over 5 years!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 3, 2009 11:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site, lynda, and congratulations on your decision to take back your freedom!

it's normal to be scared, but the good news is, everything you listed is totally under your control.

you only fail if you choose to give up. a lot of people get hung up on statistics (x% of people who try to quit will fail, etc.), but here's the only statistic that matters:

100% of the people who choose not to smoke in response to their cravings stay free long term. the trick, as mary pointed out, is having a list of reasons that are strong enough to make that choice a no-brainer.

if you don't want to gain weight, start planning now how to avoid it. here's one way that works really well:

start a journal now. every time you eat, note the time, the place, your mood, and what you ate. when you quit, whenever you feel like eating, look at your journal and see if there's a corresponding entry (in other words, is the time, place, and mood you're in now the same as any patterns in your journal?); if there is, it's probably ok to eat. if not, ask yourself, "am i wanting to eat to satisfy a craving for a cigarette?" if you are, forget it: eating won't satisfy the craving for a cigarette.

at the same time, every time you have a craving for a cigarette, you should check your eating journal, too: if the time, place, and mood you're in right now matches a pattern in your eating journal, you may be hungry and not craving a cigarette at all. if that's the case, have a snack instead of a cigarette.

cravings for nicotine and cravings for food are very similar; that's why a lot of people get them confused (as smokers, we smoke when we're hungry, and as quitters, we eat when we're craving nicotine); being aware of what's "normal" for you now will help you deal with adjusting to the "new normal" after you quit.

you will be irritable. practice saying, "sorry, i just quit smoking; i didn't really mean that." you'll be amazed by how many people offer you encouragement instead of condemnation when you're up front about the reason for your irritability.

it's only as hard as you make it. craves are not inherently hard to deal with; if you're in a situation where you can't smoke (a long airplane flight, or a visit to the hospital, for instance) and you get a crave, what happens to it when you don't feed it by lighting up? that's right; it goes away. all by itself. it doesn't hurt, you don't have to fight it, or resist it in any way. you just accept that you can't feed it, and it goes away.

when you quit, just accept that you can't feed it (not because somebody else says you can't, because you've chosen not to any more), and it'll go away, all by itself. it's your own internal resistance that makes it hard: if you don't resist, it won't be hard. promise.

if you want to be scared of something, be scared of what will certainly happen to you if continue to feed your addiction: heart disease, emphysema, cancer, gangrene... all of these, and many more of the possible effects of smoking, are extremely unpleasant, and deadly.

but i'd advise you instead to concentrate on what you want, rather than what you don't want: don't be scared of failure; look forward to success, and so on.

you can do this. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
nicfirth

Quit Date:
July 17, 2008

PostPosted: December 4, 2009 1:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting the 1st day out of the way.

Focus on the good, my mantra was health, wealth and control.

In the early stages I just had to keep telling myself that I was fed up with living a life controlled by nicotine, when and where could I next feed the addiction? Did I have enough to get through until I could next go to the shop etc... I was also reminding myself how unforgivably stupid I had been paying a fortune to harm myself.

When I started to feel like I was going to fail, I could get through by focusing on regaining my health, keeping hold of my money and regaining control of the way I live my life.

Good luck

Nic

Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: December 4, 2009 9:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is well worth it, believe me.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: December 4, 2009 9:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynda and Welcome ~ It might be worth reading all these posts again, it is some great advise. Quitting is do-able and very well worth it. There is support here so check in often. You will love your quit so stick with it. Smile

Essie
4/14/04
hardworkingmommie

Quit Date:
December 1, 2009

PostPosted: December 8, 2009 7:13 AM    Post subject: all such good advise Reply with quote

One week today and I am still smoke free. Quite honestly is has not been as hard as I thought it would be (besides the four days of insomnia). However, I am careful not to get "Cocky" as I know my road had just begun. What I find is that the cravings do pass - quite quickly. If I am craving, and having a difficult time with it, I just change what I am doing. I go take a shower, or play a game with my kids, etc. The other thing I have done to help myself acheive my goal is to give up my triggers. I have not had a cup of coffee or a glass of wine in a week either. It's not like I am giving these up as well, I just thought that it might make quitting the smokes easier.

Thanks for all the enouraging words and ideas. I will use them all.
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 8, 2009 10:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you, lynda! keep up the good work! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: December 8, 2009 10:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting thru one week! Sounds like you have a plan and that is good. Keep it going! Smile

Essie
4/14/04
hardworkingmommie

Quit Date:
December 1, 2009

PostPosted: January 19, 2010 7:25 AM    Post subject: still going strong Reply with quote

Never would have thought after 27 years of smoking that I would quit. It has been easier than I thought it would be. Today marks week 7 and I cant ever imagine be a smoker again. Despite my best efforts and sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet and working out at the gym I have gained weight and have been unable to get any off. But I will not lose faith, although I do get discouraged when none of my clothes fit. I realize it is temporary. Thanks for all of yor words of encouragement and
ideas on helping me succeed
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: January 19, 2010 8:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome YOU! WTG!

Essie
4/14/04
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 20, 2010 1:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

great to hear it, lynda! keep it going! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: January 20, 2010 1:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Today marks week 7!!!!!

WOW!!!! Way to go Lynda!! That's awesome! Quitting - unfortunately - does affect your metabalism - but be persistent - both with eating healthy - and exercising - you might want to try a few more calories - most recommend about 1600 if you are working out. 1200 is ok for a "jump start" - but its too low for extended periods - I know it is counter-intuitive to eat more an expect to lose weight - but keep your activity up and increase your calories just a little - and see what happens! The weight will "normal-ize" - give it time and be patient but persistent...The weight may not make you happy - but it is healthier to not be smoking! I saw a fact somewhere - that for the weight gain to be as bad for you as continuing to smoke - you'd have to gain over 100 pounds!

Again - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: