quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Year New Challenge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: February 19, 2010 4:10 PM    Post subject: New Year New Challenge Reply with quote

Hi everyone! For most of you, 2010 isn't new anymore. For me, I really don't feel compelled to start on the 1st of the year. We're still in the middle of the first quarter so I still have a month to get my years worth of goals settled! Heck, I'm ahead of the game!

As I head into my 2nd year of being smoke free, I continue to marvel at how much better my life is. As a smoker I did exercise and I certainly spent time on my mountain bike almost every day from May until October, I never thought I would sign up for such a challenge. I have decided that I'm going to ride RAGBRAI this year. RAGBRAI is an annual event (started in 1973) that over 10,000 riders participate in by riding bicycles from the starting town/city on the west side of Iowa (Missouri River) all the way to the east side (Mississippi River). This is a 7 day ride with approximately 60 mile days. The route changes every year and the towns welcome the riders with activities and food and a good, down home welcome. The ride will be July 25-31 leaving from Sioux City and ending in Dubuque. I will begin training for this now.

Some of you may remember I have mentioned that I am an artist (medium is photography). I will be documenting this journey with video and still pictures and I will also begin the work for that now.

The first of several good decisions was to quit smoking. It has made everything else possible. I will never regret that decision nor will I wish I had waited a little longer. I am living free and ever so grateful to be participating in such an amazing experience.

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 19, 2010 4:36 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidget,

That is so good to hear. Where will you be placing you online video of the event?

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: February 19, 2010 6:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barbara!
I will probably link a YouTube channel from my Blog. I have a very neglected blog right now! I will also have finished my 7 yr project of archiving my work and getting my website live. (yes, 7 yrs... I was so busy smoking, who had the time?).
I'll certainly post all of the details as it draws nearer. Thank you for the interest!

-Elaine Maxwell
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: February 20, 2010 10:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an exciting experience. That's a long ride but with all the "welcomes" along the way, it sounds fantastic.

Please keep us up-to-date with postings and photos.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: February 20, 2010 8:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Gidget that sounds like fun. I'll be waiting to hear updates. Enjoy! Smile

Essie
4/14/04
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: February 21, 2010 1:10 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a challenge - but a fun one! Enjoy the training - it is as much a part of the event and the actual ride....lots of time for thinking as you build up distance....

Way to go with 2010 goals!! Its going to be a great year!! Be safe!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 21, 2010 1:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be looking forward to the photo/video journal of your trip - please keep us updated. Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: February 22, 2010 3:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support everyone~ Training has begun and I feel motivated and a little sore. It's ok, though. I start a training class meeting 2x a week tomorrow am, 5:20AM to be precise. I know it will be fun and rewarding and unpredictable. Woohoo!

-Elaine Maxwell
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: February 22, 2010 5:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidget,

Yes, I am looking forward to you website and YouTube videos as well. I love to see how people put up their own websites as I've had some interest in doing them myself so I have interest in seeing yours.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: