quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OMG did woofmang save my life? warning long post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: April 10, 2010 4:01 AM    Post subject: OMG did woofmang save my life? warning long post. Reply with quote

Tuesday:

I was playing basketball outside a lot of the day on Tuesday. I felt fine the whole day until around 11pm. I started to get a sinus infection. Unable to breathe through my nose I was frustrated and couldn't sleep so I figure what would a joint hurt? I blaze it up and smoke half of it when I start to realize I am not getting high at all. odd. goto bed around 5pm and wake up at 7pm (yes, 14 hours)

Wednesday through Thursday: I woke up even sicker and now my damn lungs hurt when i breathe! Mom tells me to go to the doctor.I tell her let's wait it out and check on thurs how I feel. I don't have insurance. I feel fine as thrusday starts, not any worse so I sleep from 3pm to 7pm. That would be the last time I could lay down and still breathe.

Thursday to Friday morning: I wake up not feeling anything like P. Diddy. I can barely breathe, I cant eat, drink think talk.. If i stand up I have to catch my breathe, walking to the bathroom I have to stop to regain my composure. Mom begs me to goto the ER "No mom, i'm fine" I try to convince her. This.. this is where I am not sure WTF is wrong with me but around 1am friday i start to semi hallucinate, i talk to myself, i was preparing to die, i would just cry, i would start shaking violently, I took 3 showers to get the hot wet air in my lungs. By 8am I finally break down and go to a Doctor. The doc lady does her normal stuff and says "let's do a breathing treatment, that should get you back breathing" So I do the treatment and grab some xrays and while she is waiting for the other doc to read them she listens to my breathing again. She says to me "John, I know your broke but we need to get you to the ER now you are going to die if we wait" So I start to protest then I realize that I really can't hold out any longer. My dad rushes me to the ER (save money on ambulance) There they do their thing with the meds and what not and FOUR more breathing treatments. They want me to stay overnight but I refuse, they sent me home with a breathing an inhaler and antibiotics. They wanted me buy a breathing machine, but once again, money Sad

Now this whole post says one thing.... What if I was a smoker? Death could of been an outcome. And even if I lived I'd be dealing with these lung problems every couple years. My father, my uncles they all goto the hospital once a year for lung stuff....

I am sitting here, a day shy of 11 months smoke free and all I can think about is how I am so thankful to you woofmang and all the posters for saving my life.

Quit attempt #2!
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: April 10, 2010 10:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Moose, what a story!!! I'm so glad you are ok. So what now? What is the underlying problem that you are having?

Yes, you are so right that if you had been a smoker, you'd probably be dead now. That is something to be thankful for. Congratulations for coming up to a year's quit. You are awesome!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: April 10, 2010 10:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot to say what happened, It is severe bronchitis and pneumonia. Also have a sinus infection and a ear infection. But those are so trivial.

Quit attempt #2!
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: April 10, 2010 10:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those may be trival to some Moose but to others they can be just as life threatening and the combination of all the stuff you have is one that could of been letal I am glad your doing better and cograts on coming up on a year.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: April 10, 2010 12:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Wow! So glad you are doing better! You are nearly a year smoke free, guess you had better stay right here and smoke free. Take care of yourself and keep us posted. {{{{{moose}}}}}

Essie
4/14/04
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 10, 2010 12:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrible experience. Thank God you listened to your family and got medical help. Hope the pneumonia, etc., gets better fast.

Woofmang has helped all of us realize how damaging smoking is to the human body and has given us the support we need to continue our fight with Laughing Demon . Stay close!

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 10, 2010 7:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow..glad you are able to post and share a terrifying story. It is also good to hear you are on the road to recovering! Keep breathing & get healthy! Please make sure you come back and celebrate a year without cigarettes!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: April 11, 2010 12:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bad news, I think I may head back to the ER. Its getting very difficult to breathe and my face is getting that same purple color Sad

I don't know how I am ever going to pay for this. Sad

Quit attempt #2!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 11, 2010 10:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a powerful (and scary) story, moose. glad you came through it ok. and glad to know that woofmang helped, but you're the one who saved your life, not us. please keep us in the loop as to how it's going for you.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: April 11, 2010 10:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose, keep us posted on your condition. Don't let money keep you from getting the care you need. Most hospitals will work with you.

Hugs to you.

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 11, 2010 9:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Lunaversary, moose200x!
Congratulations on your first 11 months of freedom!

Hope you are able to celebrate!! Take care and get well!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
moose200x

Quit Date:
May 11, 2009

PostPosted: April 16, 2010 5:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post back and say thanks for the wishes and thoughts and such Smile I am feeling a 100% better and actually went out to a nearby lake and did some dock fishing and caught tons of bluegill, It was so peaceful Smile

Quit attempt #2!
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: April 17, 2010 10:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are better...sounds like you had a wonderful day!

Rusty

Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: May 5, 2010 4:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that you are okay. I'm late in repsonding due to eye surgery and now something else is wrong with me. Nothing like what was wrong with you though. Please check in again and let us know how you are now.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: