quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

it's been a long time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramblerboy2

Quit Date:
April 16, 2007

PostPosted: July 1, 2010 6:35 PM    Post subject: it's been a long time Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have not posted here much lately. Things have been busy and I have not been thinking about smoking much lately.

We bought a house last summer after years of living in condos. It is wonderful to have more control and privacy! And we love the house. It is a quick walk to our downtown and Juan and I can both walk to work from here, and I am enjoying gardening.

I stopped drinking back in December of 2009. I have never been a daily drinker, but found myself having way too much to drink too often to ignore. It was kind of scary. I would wake up in the morning once or twice a week with a horrible hangover and would not remember anything from the previous evening. Thankfully these drinking episodes happened at home so no damage done, but I realized that it was becoming a problem. I think that since I quit smoking I was using alcohol as more of a crutch. I even got somewhat drunk at a formal family function, which was embarassing. I think that learning to live without smoking, to conquer that addiction, gave me strength to recognize that the drinking was becoming a problem, and to stop. It has been a similar experience to smoking cessation in a lot of ways. I just commit to not drink today. Just like I commit to not smoke today. I miss both in the same way too... I dont get real "cravings", but do sometimes miss having a nice cold cocktail and cigarette after work, or whatever. So I get a glass of ice water or something and take the dogs out and dig around in my garden or read a book or whatever.

I also still walk a lot, but not as much as I was. I walk to work every day, and walk the dogs, and do a lot of errands on foot, but I do not take my long fast walk every day like I was, and I kind of miss it, so I may start again soon.

Anyway, I just wanted to check in with yall and pass along that if you, too, feel like you have trouble with alcohol, you can give that up too. It is kind of different, but not much.

Josh

Twitter @joshualaporte
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 1, 2010 10:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoebe's a cutie, josh!

and i agree about the drinking; like smoking, it's all about choice: we don't "need" alcohol any more than we do nicotine. and if we choose not to use those substances any more, it's not the end of the world; in fact, it's often the beginning of a better world.

congratulations on the new house! great to see you again! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: July 1, 2010 11:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh,

It is nice to see you again. Houses are nice so congrats on buying your own. Congrats on quitting the drinking. I can totally relate to using alcohol as a crutch to replace the smokes. I never knew what a black out was until I had them a couple of years ago.

I love your dog too.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 2, 2010 12:31 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Josh! Nice to hear how you are doing! Well done with taking things one day at a time...sure makes it much more 'do-able'!

Homeownership is fun...I think to myself every evening as I pull into my garage...'it's mine'! Actually its the mortgage companies...but its home!

Keep walking! Have you thought about a marathon or half-marathon? I like have a goal to keep me on track with training....you just have to find a walker-friendly event!

Stop by now and then! take care!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
BobbiS

Quit Date:
July 2, 2010

PostPosted: July 2, 2010 7:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Josh, I'm new here and I'm glad you posted. I agree that alcohol and nicotine addiction is not much different. Congrats on giving them both up!! I haven't had an alcoholic beverage for 5 years on July 9th. The cravings aren't really even cravings anymore. It's like a thought that passes quickly. I can't wait till my craving for nicotine is just that way!!

Congrats on the new house and enjoy!!!

Bobbi
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: July 3, 2010 11:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh thank you first of all on your comment on my meandering yuou might say... secoandly conrats on the smoking ccessation and yes i suppose drinking can becmome a crutch(skews the typing on laptop andit has sticky keys) I agree pheobe is cuttie.... I love animals but most of all I love my cat burdock... he is a great cat. congrats on the house I am working on buying the second house and selling this one.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
ramblerboy2

Quit Date:
April 16, 2007

PostPosted: July 28, 2010 12:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the kind words.

Mary, I have not thought about training for a marathon. When I do take a nice long walk (like over 5 miles) I love it, I need to schedule time for it in my life!

We have two dogs now, I will need to post a picture in the gallery. And three cats too!

Thanks, everyone, for being there.

Josh

Twitter @joshualaporte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: