quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Feeling a little down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lulubella

Quit Date:
April 17, 2011

PostPosted: March 30, 2011 8:09 AM    Post subject: Feeling a little down Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have been in a bit of a rut the past few days. Have had insomnia, waking every morning between 3 and 4am. In the past when I had this I smoked a couple of cigs and went back to sleep. Ya, believe it or not I used a stimulant to get back to sleep. Confused Not this time. Right to the computer to Woofmang with a cup of warm milk. The insomnia has made me tired and irritable during the day.

I bought a recumbent bike two days ago and have no one to put it together. My 14 year old tried but got frustrated and quit. Then I begged my 16 year old son, soon to be 17, to finish it and he did nothing but complain about having to do it. So, I told him stop and go away. My husband has no interest in putting it together. I think he has no faith that I will actually use it because I have not followed through in the past with things.

I really need to exercise my legs though because I have started to experience major circulation problems in my lower legs. I told him I might have that circulation disease that is caused by smoking and he doesn't respond. I think he thinks it is all in my head. Oh, and he doesn't say much about my quitting smoking either. I guess because he never smoked and cannot relate to quitting. My sister commented to me the other day that hubby must be so happy I quit smoking. And I had to tell her that he doesn't really say much about it. Thanks for giving me a place to vent. Lulu

So often in time it happens, we all live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. The Eagles
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 30, 2011 9:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best place in the world to vent, Lulu. Sorry your family isn't very cooperative at the present time. Bet that will change, though, in time and when they realize just how serious you are about quitting.

As for the insomnia, I went through a spell of that in the beginning too. I'm a reader, so when I couldn't sleep, I read. As for using a cigarette (yes, a stimulant) to get back to sleep, I did that as well.

Keep your quit going. You're well on the path to a life of freedom! Smile

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Lulubella

Quit Date:
April 17, 2011

PostPosted: March 30, 2011 11:27 AM    Post subject: thanks for your support Reply with quote

Hi guardian angel from St. Louis

Thanks for writing back to me. Funny you should mention reading to go back to sleep...I have been using reading to distract myself from of smoking. Since my quit 2 months ago, I have read 9 novels, paper backs(I like psychological thrillers)...reading has become my comfort and has replaced cigs for me. I carry my book in my purse when I go somewhere even if I don't take it out. It has replaced my cigarette package and become like a security blanket. Maybe I should use my book to help me get back to sleep as well. Thanks for the tip. lulu

P.S. Right now I am reading Dennis Lehane's Mystic River. It is the book upon which the movie Mystic River was based. What are you reading right now?

So often in time it happens, we all live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. The Eagles

Last edited by Lulubella on April 1, 2011 7:23 PM; edited 1 time in total
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 30, 2011 12:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current read is John Grisham's "The Appeal." I'm not very far into it yet but it seems to be good. I've read all his books and really enjoy them.

Have a great day.

Jo
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: March 30, 2011 2:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ladies ~ Hope ya don't mind me jumping in. I relate to the insomnia thing, did the 'have a cigarette' deal too. I just got "Heaven is for Real" from my daughter. Hope it is as good as she says and I hope you both have a great day. Smile

Essie
4/14/04
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: March 30, 2011 3:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Essie. Haven't visited with you for a while. Hope all is going well. We'll soon be celebrating 7 years close together. Hard to believe, isn't it?

Lulu, you're going to make it too. Just hang in there and stay strong.

Jo
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: March 30, 2011 10:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ladies...nice to see my friends chatting...Lulu...rant away...anytime you need to vent - this is good place - a safe refuge when you feel like noone understands. I'm confident you'll get the bike put together...one way or another. Sorry you're dealing with the insomnia - I can so relate to the middle of the night smoke...it was literally the last thing I did before I went to sleep - and first thing I did when I work up - sometimes even before my feet hit the ground. And of course, if I woke up in the middle of the night - why not!! Craziness...from this side of the smoke screen. Keep your book close by - its a great security blanket! I'm a reader too! I'm working on two books - Jan Karon's latest -"In the Company of Others" and Catherine Coulter's "Knock Out" - which I borrowed from the library. I also listen to Audio Books - just listened to "Stones into Schools" by Greg Mortenson - the sequel to his first book "Three Cups of Tea" - both are very good - non-fiction. I also have a Janet Evanovich "Between the Plums" - always funny. Keep that quit going strong!! Take care...and pleasant dreams! If the insomnia persists - you might want to try melatonin - its a natural sleep aid.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: March 31, 2011 1:56 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my early quit I was hooked on buying textbooks and reading them. I bought dozens of textbooks but never would finish them except for one small book. Shopping for and buying them was like a high to me at the time. Then I started doing surveys online to keep me busy.

Lulu, you are doing really good with your quit. One day things will be normal with sleep and all.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: March 31, 2011 6:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lulu ~ Hope today is finding you feeling better and with the bike all assembled. Nice to see a chat group going again. Good to "see" you, Barbara, Mary, Jo and Lulu.

Essie
4/14/04
Lulubella

Quit Date:
April 17, 2011

PostPosted: April 2, 2011 2:04 AM    Post subject: Hi everyone and thanks for caring Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It is 1:45 in the am. Right now I am when I should be . Exercise bike is put together, thanks to my oldest son. Still having trouble sleeping. Hopefully it will get better. Lulu

Last edited by Lulubella on April 3, 2011 7:06 AM; edited 2 times in total
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 2, 2011 10:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to your son for assembling your stationery bike for you.

Hope you were able to get some sleep. Good thinking, last night, getting on the computer when the sleep was evading you. Smile

Jo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: