quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

coming clean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lulubella

Quit Date:
April 17, 2011

PostPosted: April 17, 2011 10:21 AM    Post subject: coming clean Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have to get this out in the open. I was doing laundry on Friday night and I found an old cigarette in a basket on top of my dryer. I should have broke it and thrown it out but I kept it. You probably know where this is going...bottom line, I smoked it last night.

It did nothing for me but still, I felt like I had to finish it. It wasn't even a crave that made me smoke it, it was more a compulsion. I just had to have it. I thought, "I haven't felt "normal" for so long, I wondered if having that smoke will help me feel normal again." I know this sounds crazy and as strange as it may sound, I feel okay today. I will not get depressed over it and I don't have an uncontrollable desire to smoke or go out a buy smokes. I am going to keep my head up and learn from my experience. If it did anything, it increased my resolve that I don't want to go back to smoking. I will change my quit date but I don't feel that I am starting over again. I just feel like I hit a road bump. I will get up, brush myself off, learn from it and move on.

So often in time it happens, we all live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. The Eagles

Last edited by Lulubella on April 17, 2011 9:11 PM; edited 1 time in total
jimotter

Quit Date:
November 19, 2003

PostPosted: April 17, 2011 10:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that will keep you going is that you just go forward, you have already stated the lesson you learned, it did nothing for you. If you find another one, remember that the best thing to do is to toss it. Be strong, Be tuff.
Jim

Never give up on yourself. We are so worth the effort. Smoking creates nothing but misery for us and those around us. Smoking is socially unacceptable everywhere we go.
Lulubella

Quit Date:
April 17, 2011

PostPosted: April 17, 2011 11:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. That is exactly what I plan on doing. I have come to realize that quitting smoking is not just a matter of abstaining from smoking, it is a whole, complex lifestyle change that does not happen overnight. Learn from it and move on...my new mottto. Lulu

So often in time it happens, we all live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. The Eagles
mrsrubytuesday

Quit Date:
May 21, 2008

PostPosted: April 17, 2011 5:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lulu - When you smoked it was not normal - you weren't born with a cigarette in your mouth. What you're doing now is "normal" - not smoking. It just feels so different because you smoked for a long time and can hardly remember the non-smoking feeling. Keep focusing on all the good things about not smoking - you now smell good, you're richer, you're healthier, you're proud of yourself, you're amazing! Keep going - baby steps every day!
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: April 17, 2011 5:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LuLu - Just commit to being smoke-free TODAY! And you get to chose again tomorrow. It's really up to you....stay free....one day at time!

Keep learning...keep growing! It feels like you get to re-invent yourself as a non-smoker...

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Lulubella

Quit Date:
April 17, 2011

PostPosted: April 18, 2011 7:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I did not smoke yesterday and I will not smoke today!!!!!My choice, my word, my committment to me and you. Lulu

kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 18, 2011 9:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay strong, Lulu. Most of us have "slipped" at one time or another but, as MaryD wrote, "stay free...one day at a time." We're all with you. Have a great, smoke-free day! Smile

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 19, 2011 12:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

live and learn, i always say - good for you for taking responsibility, seeing the reality of the choice and what it meant, and just getting back on the horse and moving forward. keep it going! Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > staying quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: