quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ready for Irene

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: August 26, 2011 7:25 PM    Post subject: Ready for Irene Reply with quote

I've been busy all week getting ready for hurricane Irene. I am about as ready as I can get now. We will see the worst of it on Saturday.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 27, 2011 10:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts and prayers headed your way. Our son and daughter-in-law live in VA also so we're really staying up on the weather news.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: August 27, 2011 11:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jo. What part of Virginia does your family live in? I live in Richmond so we won't be getting it as bad as Tidewater by the coast. It has been raining pretty steady now and the wind is blowing. It's suppose to get worse in a couple of hours.

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 27, 2011 12:45 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our son and daughter-in-law live in Richmond also. He's called a few times this morning and will keep us informed via cell phone as long as possible.

Stay safe!

Jo
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 27, 2011 10:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you took steps to be prepared - I hope you are spared the worst of the hurricane and wind and rain. Everyone on the East Coast is in my thoughts and prayers. I have cousins on the coast in North Carolina.

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: August 28, 2011 8:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope everyone is ok....and that the storm did not leave you with too much damage.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 28, 2011 9:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope all is well with you, Barbara. Our family weathered the storm pretty well -- lots of downed trees but they do still have power. Both of their driveways were blocked with downed trees so he's been busy with the chain saw this afternoon.

Hope you still have power or that it's restored soon. Take care and don't take any chances.

Jo
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: August 30, 2011 1:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckily...I was far enough west in PA to not have anything significant - didn't even rain in Pittsburgh....seeing lots of new coverage - amazing how much flooding there was in some places...and the power outages...

hope things are back to normal soon for everyone!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2011 1:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo, it is good to hear that your son and his family did okay considering. We here in Richmond ended up getting it worse than by the coast.

Mary, I sent you a PM. Glad to hear you were not affected.

Kay, I'm okay with my sanity intact somehow.

I was without power for 6 whole days and without house phone, TV, and internet for 14 days. I just got alll but the TV back today. It was hard at times. What made things worse that for 3 days this week it rained hard and my car's inspection ran out before I could get it fixed so it would pass. I was stuck inside for almost 2 days when it rained hard from a tropical storm while my car was in the shop. My car was illegal for one whole week so I was not suppose to drive it. I got a really good deal in geting my car fixed though. A friend of mine just put $50 in my hand last week and told me to pay him back when and if I could to get some food. I had lost everything perishable of course. I've already paid my friend $10 towards what he lent me. I've been working every day since getting my car legal and playing taxi for money. I missed my online friends and could not wait to check in with all of you. I will post pictures soon.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2011 1:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear from you again, Barbara. What a mess you had. No power for 6 days -- what did you do all that time?

You're right. Our son in Richmond was really lucky. They were one of the few homes that didn't lose power. He spent two days with the chain saw, though, cutting their way out. There are so many trees down but thank God, none of them hit their house.

Hope your car is running smoothly and your life is becoming somewhat normal.

Jo
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 9, 2011 4:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jo. My life is better since getting my Internet, phone, and now TV back today. It was not easy without electricity or without TV, phone, and Internet for longer but I made it. I had a battery operated radio and had my pay as you go phone. For a few days the cell phone would not get good reception and most the time was not usuable. I was able to go to Patrick's down the road a lot and some people didn't even have what I had so I was thankful for what I did have. I bet your son worked his tail off to clear his driveway. It was a mess and still is to a lot of folks.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: September 10, 2011 7:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are recovering from all that mess. Hope things continue to get better and better for you. Take care of yourself. Smile

Essie
4/14/04
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 10, 2011 10:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear you got through it all ok, barbara - it must have been a challenge getting by all that time without power or a phone...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: September 11, 2011 9:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Essie and Kevin. It was a challenge and I did go a little berserk a time or two temporarily. I made it though.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: