quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

how to stack the odds in your favor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: January 30, 2005 11:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but horror stories at whyquit.com kept me motivated. The minute I had craving I'd reread a story about a young person dying. I also saw a live lecture on some website about a woman dying of lung cancer. Talk about a wake up call. But whatever works, right? Kerry
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 1, 2005 1:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry,

Same thing happened to me. I went a step further. There was a story of a woman who had contracted lung cancer and had to have a lung removed. Her picture was taken with this HUGE scar from the middle of her back curving toward her abdomen. It was SOOOOO disturbing, but I made sure it was the first thing I saw every morning and while I was at work, I put it next to my desk, in case I got cravings to cave in. Just like you say...whatever works!!

Nita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: February 1, 2005 2:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nita, the thing I've always wondered about is why didn't these things work before for me? It was as if I suddenly got a wake up call. Oh well, I'm quit now. Kerry
Jenny

Quit Date:
August 2, 2004

PostPosted: February 15, 2005 4:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were three super, great, 'smoking' women in my life who all died of cigarette related deseases in their low 60's.

Mom - my best friend, ovarian cancer
Stepmom - lung cancer
Mother-in-law - heart attack

After that, I was in a world of mysery, because I still smoked. Everyday was haunting and filled with worry and when was I ever going to quit.

Finally, becaue I got tired of stinking, hiding it, buying it, being controlled - i went online and found the FREEDOM FROM SMOKING site by the American Lung Association.

After graduating, I found a WOOFMANG. I owe most of my success so far to QUITS FROM THE TALES and this website.

I would not be not be at 6+ months quit without it and it's wealth of information from Kevin and all the other members who post and tell the stories.

Jenny
JamesP

Quit Date:
November 3, 2003

PostPosted: February 25, 2005 11:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, Kevin. My number one tip:

DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF ALL AT ONCE AND DON'T EVER LOOK BACK. For me, that was:

1) Doing the modules on the American Lung USA FFS site and spending time on WhyQuit.com.

2) Getting a prescription for Zyban from my doctor and using it as directed.

3) Picking a quit date a few weeks in the future, which gave me time to plan. (And convince myself that I could and would quit smoking for good.)

4) Telling my close (supportive) friends/family that I was going to quit in earnest. Telling these same people how I was doing once I had quit.

5) Creating a quit ritual and smoking the ceremonial last cigarette.

6) Going to an accupuncturist twice a week for the first 6 weeks of my quit.

7) Letting myself eat anything I wanted for the first 3 months of my quit. (That was fun!)

8)Doing something intensely aerobic 3-4 times a week. (I didn't start this right away, but I am pretty damn sure it has saved me more than once since quitting.)

9) Posting/Reading on FFS and woofmang.com - keeping my reasons for quitting in the forefront of my mind.

10) Learning to be kinder when discussing me with me. (This is an ongoing project, obviously.)

This was/is my arsenal. The most important thing to do is prepare your arsenal. I'll bet you can list 20 possible things if you sit for awhile and think about it!

James

Enjoy your quit -- it's the last one you'll ever have!
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: February 25, 2005 9:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What helped me the most and continues to do so:

l. THe Modules at FFS--I still read them (and I did them intensely in writing ) for the first month

2. REading at why.quit.com--especially the article: "Caring for YOur Quit"
which is in the middle and near the bottom

3. Reading at whyquit.com--also the article: "Nicodemons LIes" I still read it and the one above.

4. Posting for help BEFORE I get too desparate--never taking a chance, and getting IMMEDIATE help

5. Copy and Paste: I have many quotations from posts that I read or others write, or I wrote myself, on Notepad in my computer. Example: "Christmas Urge is Bad (help from Cluade)" or "Pam's Help Message" and so on. I date them.

6. Developing a large circle of Quit Buddies to do EMail with, and to send a big "help" message to when I need it.

7. Developing a 3-d support system of very trusted friends whom I call on the telephone in times of great need

8. Learning from Kevin that I am not my addiction. I created the addiction when I took the first puff, and The Law of Creation says that the Creator is always stronger than the creation. Therefore, I can say no to it. This is close to the direct quote from Kevin, but, Kevin,correct it if it's not exact.

9. Doing the following things in the beginning of the Quit, and I still do them. Don't stop because you think you are done. There is no such thing as "done." We keep working the quit from now on. This is from a post I wrote for New People that I use myself:

Quote:
l. Drink more water. Sounds like many of you are not drinking enough! Water saved my quit! Drink it every time you have an urge. Keep a bottle by you at all times (or a glass if you don't have a bottle right now.)

2. EAt snacks that have sugar. You can worry about your weight later, but right now you have to keep your blood sugar up! It falls temporarily when you first quit, and you need to eat something every hour for the first 3 days. If you don't the craves can get bad. Fruit will do if you don't want actual sugar. (I used "Gummi Bears.")

3. YOu have got to learn deep breathing. It is easy. When a crave hits, take a deep breath 5 counts in and 5 counts out slowly and repeat for 5 times. (BE sure you drank your water first.)

4. YOu need more pampering. Yes, I'm serious! Take more warm baths or showers with good smelling soap (guys, too). Buy treats for yourself everyday. Order something nice for yourself right now online, if you can. Or whatever works. It's not just a distraction, it sooths the irritated part of the brain.

5. Do more exercise. What did you do today for exercise? YOu really need some. Don't know how many of you are with that, but there is all kinds of things to do. For example, just put a CD on and DANCE to it. THis works great!

You can do this!!! I sympathize totally with that yearning feeling, but it WILL GO AWAY I promise. And you are going to feel soooo much better. And you WILL quit SMOKING! You already have!

P.S. Other things that work for some: chewing straws, eating popsicyles, blowing bubbles with that kid bubble stuff, drinking cranberry juice, putting lemon in their water, knitting (creates endorphins--don't know the guy equivalent for it, sorry), chewing cinnamom sticks

10. Emotions and craves are not the same. I try to separate them. Often I might think I'm having an urge, but it is really just an emotion. Deal with the emotion, and the urge is gone. Often just knowing this will make it leave.

11. Life is hard, not the Quit. This was hard for me to learn, but I now try to work on life instead of thinking a cig would help. For me, craves are usually from not addressing a Life Issue, not the other way around.

12. I remember Kevin's signature: "Choose Life." This is real.

Margaret, 10 months, 1 week, 6 days Free
Marty G

Quit Date:
September 28, 2004

PostPosted: February 28, 2005 8:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read "The Easy Way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr...

That book got me over the hurdle, going from "I am going to stop smoking some day" to "I am going to stop smoking NOW"
exsmoker

Quit Date:
October 14, 2007

PostPosted: April 5, 2005 9:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit when I had enough of coughing. It got so bad that I couldnt smoke anyways. BUt once the cough left . I had thoughts of smoking again. I just tried to remind myself of the cough and the tightness of my chest and everytime I did that , I found it easy enough to stay quit. Also I read alot at www.whyquit.com and posted alot at www.lungusa.org. Then I found this site and I am doing well in my quit. I found that knowlegde to a successful quit, Is what worked for me the most. I found out that fruit juice helped with headaches and cravings. I knew my backdoors and I closed them. Keep a list of reasons why I quit close at hand too. and heres something to get people thinking......

Quitting Smoking Is Easy . . .

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than fighting cancer.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than breathing through tubes up your nose.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than having a Tracheostomy.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than losing your vision (AMD).

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than COPD.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than your child seeing you die from cancer.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than losing a friend . . . or a friend losing you.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than hearing your doctor say, "Im sorry . . ."

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than laying in the hospital having radiation treatment.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than laying in the hospital wishing you could feel the sun.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than listening to your loved ones crying outside your hospital room.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than preparing for your funeral because the cancer has gone so far.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than picking out your favorite songs for your funeral.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than trying to say the right words because they will be your last.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than not seeing your child's face because of blindness.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than looking out the window knowing you can't go there anymore.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than changing your retirement plans.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than imagining your spouse being alone.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than going through your photo album with tears.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than telling your child you are dying young because you smoked.

¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than realizing smoking was more important to you than your life.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ Easier than dying ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Diane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 12:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...

Too, too poignant ex...

Nita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
Terry

Quit Date:
February 11, 2004

PostPosted: April 6, 2005 6:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important things I did for myself to ensure my quit (besides the things already said)

1. Do something healthy every time a craving hits. I would eat an apple, go for a walk, drink water, or something similar.

2. Chose every single morning, first thing, to not smoke today. I would say it out loud.
eastcoastraven

Quit Date:
April 15, 2005

PostPosted: April 24, 2005 10:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day of my quit I cleaned out my car and house of all smoking related items , told my co-workers, friends & family i was quitting, Took up yoga and walking to calm my nerves and got alot of emotional support and advice both here at woofmang and also 1-877-724-1090 toll free-24 hours a day. -Raven-

-You are stronger than you ever thought you could be! Dont give up/In -
-Raven-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
marw

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 5, 2005 1:21 AM    Post subject: THe New Quitters' Emergency Kit Reply with quote

Well, since I don't see it anywhere on here, I'm going to post about the Quitters's Emergency Quit--an essential item in a Quit, especially a new quit, but useful in all potential temptation situations.

(This idea was developed by Sue Hottinger, I think.)

The Emergency Kit is comprised of the the items you take with you (or keep with you). For women, put them in your purse...men, just find a place. Always, have Your Reasons for Quitting with you: written either tiny or small, depends on the size of your purse, doesn't it? Other items will vary according to the person, but consist of gum, hard candy, straws, cinnamon sticks, "worry beads" or other toys for the fingers, and your CELL PHONE. Excuse yourself and call for help; you probably know at least one 3-d person to call, or you can just call the weather and pretend to talk (anything to kill a few minutes until the mad crave has gone.) Dried fruit, perfume, lollipops can help. Take a bottle of water if you can.
A BIG HELP IS THE ACTIVITY LIST: or call it "THe Things To Save Me" list! Keep in your purse with the Reasons for Quitting. On this one write: l. Go to the Washroom. 2. Go Outside (or inside, depending on where the least amount of smoke is) 3. Walk over to a stranger and say "Haven't I Met You before?" and chat for a minute. 4. Request a big glass of water from the bar (or hostess) 5. Use your cell phone 6. Fan yourself (nice to have a fan along in the Emergency Kit, if you have room, or a folded paper will do, or the index cards with your Reasons for Quitting) 6. Redo your Make-up 7. Cold Water Splash (in the B.R. one hopes) for your face.

YOU will be able to think of others. A good Emergency Kit has saved many a Quit.

Oh yes, in BIG RED LETTERS, 2 drinks only!

Margaret
swaneem

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 3, 2005 2:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

After smoking for 27 years, this would be my third attempt to quit. It has now been 9 months for me and what makes this time different is that I finally acknowledge that I AM an ADDICT. That means I can NEVER take another puff. This is not a habit...it is an ADDICTION.

Also for me.....it doesn't matter why I may have an urge or thought to smoke. I don't care to analyze everything......our minds can easily make anything impossible and create any fear scenario imaginable.....I just know that my POWER is in CHOOSING not to smoke on a minute by minute basis. Keeping it simple is best for me....the only thing I have to remember is "I CHOOSE not to smoke and I can NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF".

Donna

Just when the caterpillar thought his world was
coming to an end..........God made him a
BUTTERFLY.
Colleen

Quit Date:
November 11, 2006

PostPosted: May 24, 2007 4:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still new. I educated myself this time around.I still educate as much as i can. I also try to come here and read as often as possible.
before, quitting was a lonley spot for me. I remember thinking i must be be the only one who is having such a hard time. Not true. everything im going though is normal and ok! So i come when I can, read and post and stay quit. Love and hugs. Colleen.

Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue consistently.
Maya Angelou.
brownbrown

Quit Date:
December 12, 2011

PostPosted: December 21, 2011 11:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend went to a local GYM, he said this helped him a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: