quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

here goes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quintessential_b

Quit Date:
November 1, 2012

PostPosted: October 31, 2012 6:14 PM    Post subject: here goes... Reply with quote

My name is Brandi and I have smoked for close to twenty years and I am planning my first smoke-free day tomorrow. I have already started a course of mood elevating vitamins a couple of weeks ago to help pacify any 'Linda Blair' moments and have my nicotine patches ready to go. Any and all help would be appreciated, I am already feeling my stomach turn with worry.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: November 3, 2012 9:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Brandi. Sorry I haven't written sooner but we've been out of town and I haven't been checking for posts.

By now you've had a few days without smoking. Hope all is going well and that you're beginning to feel better. I had smoked for 45+ years when I quit in 2004. I really have no "secrets" but can tell you what I did to help my quit. I kept a journal. When I wanted a cigarette, I picked up a pen instead and wrote about why I wanted to quit; how I was feeling, etc. I read everything I could get my hands on about quitting; worked the modules at "Freedom From Smoking" on the American Lung Association's website; and enlisted the understanding of family and friends.

Quitting is definitely doable and being free from the pull of cigarettes is wonderful.

I'll check Woofmang daily and hope to hear from you soon. Hang in there and stay strong. Smile

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
essie662

Quit Date:
April 14, 2004

PostPosted: November 3, 2012 3:10 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Brandi and welcome to this sight! Smile Congratulations on your decision to quit! I have been quit for 8 years now and am loving this smoke free life. You have already been given some excellent advice, read all that you can of the posts on this site and start to notice the changes in your smoke free life, like breathing easier. I was amazed at how "white" my finger nails became. I don't think I ever knew they were so yellow from the smoking. Stay strong, Brandi, and I will check in to see how you are doing too.

Essie
4/14/04
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 3, 2012 5:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Brandi and Congrats on choosing to be smoke free!

Since you are using the patch, one peice of advice...it's not a miracle cure-all. There will still be cravings, tho, not as intense maybe. And it will be a roller coaster ride with the emotions..swinging from extreme high to dreadful lows. It's a process to take one day at a time, one moment at a time. Water and sour lemonheads or lemon candy helps.

When a time comes when the addiction is bearing down on you, remember, that IT WILL PASS!!! All of it passes, just don't light up. Not one little puff or smoke, or it'll be quit over. The mind has a way of coming up with all types of reasons to smoke and throw in the towel. The best way I found...tell yourself "I choose" to not to smoke. Don't know why, but making a conscience decision at the moment of wanting a cigarette, seems to be empowering to continue on without the smoke.

Everyone here is wonderful and understanding. Check out whyquit.com for further information on quitting.

You can do this!! Remember, it's a process. It gets better as it goes!!

Hugs,
Deb

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: November 3, 2012 10:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brandi - welcome to Woofang! SorryI didn't see your post sooner! I hope you are off to a great start!! One day at a time worked for me...believe in your quit - and know that you can be smoke-free! It may take little 'practice' to get to quit - just never quit quitting!! You CAN do it!!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: