quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Persistent dizziness/lightheadedness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ubu Roi

Quit Date:
March 1, 2008

PostPosted: March 10, 2008 5:00 PM    Post subject: Persistent dizziness/lightheadedness Reply with quote

It's been ten days since my last cigarette, and I am starting to get worried whether what I'm experiencing is still just a withdrawal symptom or something else. I went to the doctor in my second day of quitting because the feeling was so bad I had to leave work, but the doctor said that this was likely just a withdrawal symptom and it should pass in 3-4 days. Now it's the tenth day and yesterday I had an strong sensation that I was going to faint that lasted for a couple of minutes. Some days its mild, other days it comes back as if I had just quit yesterday.

One thing that assures me a little is that I've felt this before every time I've not smoked for a while (I've smoked for four years, and for the past two I have smoked about a pack a day). But I've also heard that smoking can sometimes mask certain health problems. What I'm basically looking for here, I guess, is any assurance that this is normal. Has anyone here experienced dizziness/lightheadedness for this long after quitting? I'm considering going to the doctor again tomorrow, but I'm wondering whether I'm just being a wuss about this and this is just a typical feeling from withdrawal.

Another thing is, I haven't really felt any smoking cravings since quitting, and for some reason it seems like I've actually lost three or four pounds. No intense food cravings either. That kinda doesn't sound normal, does it?
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 10, 2008 7:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

normal for you is whatever happens for you. i don't think i felt the dizziness, etc., for quite so long after quitting, but it's been quite a while now, so i can't swear to it. they are normal symptoms of recovery, though.

as far as not feeling craves or craving food, etc., once again, what's normal for you is whatever happens for you; the quit's different for everybody. if you've got insurance and it's only going to cost you $10 to go see the doc, i'd say go ahead, if only to put your mind at ease.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Rusty

Quit Date:
December 13, 2004

PostPosted: March 11, 2008 6:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you are keeping your blood sugar up and not drinking too much caffeine. For some reason, when we quit, it messes with our blood sugar...I got the heebie-jeebies bad until I realized this. Make sure you are eating some healthy snacks and proteins every few hours; substitute some decaf for caffeine every now and then. Hope this helps!

Rusty

The Buddha says: Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: March 11, 2008 8:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what Kevin and Rusty said. Everyone is different. I do know that dizziness and lightheadedness are common.

Make sure that Scowling Demon is not playing mind games with you? Like, "Hey, you felt better when you were smoking!".....junky thinking I call it.

However, Kevin's correct that if you feel it's really serious, go to the doc...but do NOT SMOKE!

Ten days is awesome, and it's going to take awhile for your body (and mind) to adjust to being a non smoker, so make sure you don't fall for any Scowling Demon mind games!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
pinkpearl

Quit Date:
June 30, 2007

PostPosted: March 16, 2008 11:40 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your feeling better.

My avatars name is moon ray
dan724

Quit Date:
March 23, 2008

PostPosted: April 18, 2008 6:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading your post is helping me. I quit a few weeks ago and just this week I'm feeling dizzy/lightheaded. It's been a few days of lightheadedness. I have it to the point that I don't want to drive! I went to the doc and all that too. I hope this ends soon!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: April 18, 2008 7:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone else said, we all have different symptoms but if something is worrisome, ask your doctor. I've also discovered that pharmacists are extremely helpful too, if it's something minor.

Whatever you do, stay away from the cigarettes. They're not going to solve anything!!

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Gidget

Quit Date:
March 14, 2008

PostPosted: April 19, 2008 7:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubu, (great name by the way, you a Jarry fan??)
I had all kinds of strangeness, with out alot of the expected symptoms absent. It's true, everyone is different...I deal with everything by researching it. It keeps me busy and focused...
All that said, I would totally pop into your dr.'s office for a visit to be sure everything is OK. Best to be safe.\
Gidget

My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.
-Elaine Maxwell
freebirdgirl

Quit Date:
August 24, 2009

PostPosted: September 4, 2009 5:34 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you are not alone on the dizziness, lightheadness and Im not all that steady on my feet sometimes either. As far as getting the munchies all the time, I love fresh fruit and veggies and try to keep an abundance on hand. When I feel the need for a cig I grab an apple or orange, grapes, celery things like that. I drink decaf tea now instead of coffee in the am.
I also try to stay outside in the sun as much as possible, it seems like the sun is sometimes a magical cure for kinds of things. I take walks when my arthritis knees allow me to. Im saving crafts and crosswords for this winter when I can't get out as often as I would like to. I also plan to join in my local hospitals Pulmonary Rehab theraphy program for 8 weeks. This will keep my mind and body busy and keep me out of the house where I am used to smoking. I can use their treadmill, stationary bikes, and other equipment while strenghtening my heart and lungs too. Im just so determined to be a winner this time instead of a loser. I used to have be on oxygen theraphy and breathing treatments but now I hardly ever use them. Yeah! So I already feel and see the benefits of staying quit.
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: September 4, 2009 9:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubu I don't remember if I had dizziness when I was quiting or not cuz well I get dizzy sometimes anyway. Just take it easy and keep track of it for a bit. If it goes to long then by all means go to your dr.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
freebirdgirl

Quit Date:
August 24, 2009

PostPosted: September 5, 2009 9:14 AM    Post subject: Ubu- LIGHTHEADED AND DIZZY Reply with quote

WHO'S TO SAY REALLY WHAT IS NORMAL AND WHAT IS NOT. SOME PEOPLE EXPERIENCE DIFFERENT THINGS WHEN QUITTING, IF YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCING CRAVINGS, AND LOSING A FEW POUNDS. THAT COULD BE NORMAL FOR YOU WHEN QUITTING. BUT YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT ONE THING, NICOTENE DOES SOMETIMES MASK OTHER ILLNESSES OR CONDITIONS. IT GETS CONFUSING SOMETIMES KNOWING WHAT IS PART OF THE QUITTING PROCESS AND SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS. IF YOU ARE REALLY WORRIED ABOUT IT-DON'T! JUST GO SEE A DR. AND LET HIM SORT IT ALL OUT FOR YOU AND THEN YOU WILL KNOW AND CAN GO ON WITH YOUR STAY QUIT PROGRAM. ALL NITE LONG, I HAVE BEEN NAUSEATED AND I AM NOT SURE IF ITS BECAUSE OF THE NICO PATCH OR BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DIANOSED WITH A SMALL INTESTINAL ULCER AND MAYBE ATE SOMETHING I SHOULD NOT HAVE YESTERDAY BUT IF IT CONTINUES, I WILL CALL MY DR. ON MONDAY TO FIND OUT FOR SURE. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HEALTH ISSUES AND YOUR QUITTING SMOKING. 12 DAYS NO SMOKING AND REALLY STARTING TO FEEL GOOD AGAIN, LOTS OF ENERGY, POSITIVE ATTITUDE, CALMER.
moonpuppy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 15, 2013 12:48 AM    Post subject: dizziness Reply with quote

I have quit 4 times for a little over a year, and 1 time for 3 years. I never got dizzy so I was worried this time when I found myself so dizzy I couldn't function. I just slept all day.
So glad to see that others were dizzy too. It was hard to find at first. Thankful for this forum.
I quit the last time with prayers and determination. I promised myself I would not ever touch a cig. It worked for 3 yrs.
I had a weak moment. I was running my own bar and smoking was allowed. I was mad about something. Only smoked one!! Bought a pack on the way home. NEVER AGAIN!! If I stick to the rule of not touching a cig no matter what.
I really thought I could smoke one after 3 years and I would just not smoke another. Truth is ......I can never touch a cig!!!!

Make a rule to never touch one!! No matter what!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: