quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Valid Excuses To Smoke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 12:48 PM    Post subject: Valid Excuses To Smoke Reply with quote

i found this posted at a site called quitsmokingdiaries.com when i was about a month quit (around christmas/new year's of 2001); i thought it was one of the best rants ever (still do), so i copied it and reposted it at lungusa and quitnet back then. someone reposted it at quitnet again over the weekend, asking if anybody knew who wrote it. i do; it was written by a diarist who called himself "Cold Turkey":

-----------------------------

Valid Excuses To Smoke

-----------------------------

"I was stressed out, so I started smoking again."

Oh? And smoking relieves that? Or are you just a stressed out drug addict? How do nonsmokers deal with stress? They don't shoot up with heroin and snort cocaine, right? (Well, most of them don't, anyway...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Everyone thinks I'm a grouch and they begged me to start smoking again."

Oh? Were you purposely extraordinarily grouchy and did you give up your self control so that you could sabotage your quit? And even if people beg you to start smoking again, are they going to be the ones with lung cancer, emphysema, and a stoma? Chances are, most people would be more than happy to put up with a little bitchiness, in order to see you break this addiction in the long-run.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm gaining weight so I started smoking again."

So you're going to TRIPLE your chances of a heart attack by being an overweight smoker? Bravo... Bravo.... *applauding* That makes A LOT of sense! NOT!! Pfffft...

"It's just too hard and I'm tired of trying."

Chemo-therapy is a real bitch too, but unless you want to die, you'll probably have to continue doing that. Much better if you can head it off by not smoking now. Having emphysema is hard: Like almost IMPOSSIBLE, when all you want to do is take a normal breath and you CAN'T."

"Quitting is just too depressing."

And dying from cancer isn't? Seeing your family gathered around your bedside as you lay there in pain, doped to the gills, unable to say anything because you're so out of it: This is an easy thing? Oh.

"It's taking too long! I can't stand this anymore!"

So you are choosing to stop trying? Guess what? Lung cancer, emphysema, liver cancer, throat cancer, mouth cancer, breast cancer, uterine cancer, prostate cancer, lymphatic cancer: NONE of those are quick! Can you count on being lucky enough to have a heart attack or a stroke? And how long will those first nights and weeks and months and holidays feel for your family after you've succeeded in slowly killing yourself? In short, ESPECIALLY during the holiday season, there is NO valid excuse to begin smoking again. If you are going to start smoking again, at least be honest enough to say, "I'm smoking again because this is what I have chose for myself." But there are no valid reasons for smoking, and no valid excuses. Happy Smoke-free Holidays.

amen, brother CT...

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 1:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Good read, thanks for sharing! I love the line about chemo-therapy being a real bitch too!

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
Marvel

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 5:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin,

These are good responses to remember in those off moments when the Nasty Nic comes calling. I also like this response to whining about weight gain: "Oh, would you prefer the weight of an oxygen tank?"

Marvel
QD 10/21/2003

bwick18

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 6, 2004 11:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing Kevin. Some of those comments are things I say to myself every day to get myself through.

Barb
After the rain comes the rainbow- I will get my rainbow back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: