quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone tried South Beach Diet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 13, 2004 11:52 PM    Post subject: Anyone tried South Beach Diet? Reply with quote

I am going to like this forum. Since quitting smoking I have put on considerable weight. A week and 1/2 ago I started the South Beach diet. I read lots of material on it prior to choosing that particular diet and it seems to be a very healthy way to eat. It does not eliminate any one of the food groups, which impressed me. The weight does not come off as quickly as when I would use low cal/low fat, but I think this is healthier.....if I don't get discouraged. Everyone tells me that it is not healthy to take weight off too fast, but if I can put on "X" amount in a 4 months why isn't it healthy to take it off in that same amount of time.
So has any one else ever tried this diet or know anything about it?

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 14, 2004 12:06 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barb
Thank for the reply. I would like to think too that the gorgeous girls you are referring to are all a product of the diet. But more likely they are what the diet was named after. Very Happy
Yes I have heard that this diet is suppose to have very postive effects on cholesterol. That's one of the reasons that I chose it.
thanks again.Barb

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 14, 2004 12:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me know if it works.....I'll move down.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 14, 2004 7:28 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol,

I bought that book 6 months ago, but I didn't find it to be very informative. I didn't really understand what it wanted me to do. The main jist I got from it was atkins without so much fat. It seemed that it wanted me to take all the carbs out and then put them back. Can you tell me what you do?

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
jkolako796

Quit Date:
May 16, 2004

PostPosted: July 14, 2004 8:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to go down there and do a first hand study on these women in the bikinis, just for scientific reasons, I assure you.

Seriously- I have not looked at SB diet, I have been considering Atkins due to the fact that from what I have read it is basically meat and cheese, and cream. It is going to be hard enough for me to diet, but that sounds more like a dream menu than a diet.

The only issue I can see is the lack of pasta- I am gonna have a hard time giving up my Fettucine Alfredo. Oh well.

I will look at the South Beach, as I said in a previous thread, I won't be starting till August, so I have time.

Joshua

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 14, 2004 9:17 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol,
I was on some fitness/diet message boards at webmd the other day and was asking about whether to do the Atkins or South Beach........Everyone recommends the SB! I have all the Atkins books and have tried the diet. My blood sugar levels went WAY too low. So I couldn't stay on it. The SB is different in so many ways. Please let us know how it works for you.
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 15, 2004 7:24 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carol, I'm going to love this forum also. I have tried the South Beach diet and had good success with it. I started the diet on December 28, 2003 and lost 38 pounds through June. I did not find the diet hard to follow, and only felt deprived during the first two weeks, because you eliminate fruit, milk, bread, etc. I didn't feel deprived in the sense that I was hungry, only that I missed those food items. The book calls itself a diet, but that is not really right. It is a lifestyle change. And since my body changed on me and told me I couldn't eat like I used to, I guess that's appropriate. The lifestyle change eliminates or limits unhealthy carbs, such as white rice, white flour, white potatoes, white sugar, etc, and replaces them with healthier carb choices (those expensive low-carb products are not necessary) such as brown or wild rice, whole grain products, sweet potatoes, and some limited sugar (I prefer to use splenda.) It has healther meat choices, such as lean red meat, boneless-skinless chicken breast, and fish, either grilled, or roasted, not fried or breaded. I used a few of the recipes, but mostly just substituted grilled meat for the meat dishes. I did try the Surprise Mashed potatoes, they were great! Another thing, the book assumes you do not live in a vacuum and gives info on how to eat out in a restaurant, and even how to cheat from time to time.

I have a hubby and 18 year old son who were not on the diet, and I never had a problem being tempted by their junk food laying around the house until my Quit. I seem to have lost all control over being able to say no. I have gained 8 pounds since my Quit on June 20, and the weight gain is due solely to eating cookies, cakes, etc. What I plan on doing is giving myself a little more time on my Quit, then going back on Phase I to lose the 8 pounds and get back to where I was. I was happy with my 38 pound loss, but would have been happier with another 5-10 pounds.

I hope this helps!

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 15, 2004 9:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tonya
Glad to find you.
I am currently on the 2 week of Phase 1. My problem is that I am a compulsive weigher. I have been on several low cal/low fat diets and with them I can take off about 7-8 pounds the first week, after which it slows to 2-3 a week. But in almost 2 weeks I have only lost 3 pounds. I had lost 5 and then we had to go out of town for a day. Everything I ate was SB friendly and I put 2 pounds back on. I feel very defeated on this diet. You are right in that I am not hungry. In fact I eat the snacks but more because I have to rather than want to. I just am concerned in that this is supposed to be the rapid loss period and I am not rapidly loosing and soon I am supposed to go onto Phase 2. There is a SB support message board like this, but I don't care for enviroment of that board. They are all business and , in my opinion, quite rude/arrogant. After I get feedback sometimes, I want to write back and say "GO EAT A COOKIE"
Thanks again Tonya, mayber you can help me out if you have time, I know you are fairly new with your quit, so please feel free to PM me whenever you have a need in that area. Maybe we can buddy up in become wholly healthy. Laughing

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 15, 2004 9:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carol, a couple of things I did might help you. One is a measurement chart. I just went into "word" and created one and measured my wrist, upper arm, chest, breast, waist, hips (7 inches below waist) thigh, knee, calf and ankle and then weight. I started my chart the day before I started my diet, and went back and took new measurements every week. This way, even if I didn't lose any weight, I almost always lost inches somewhere. I also tried to stay off the scales except for the once a week. That way a temporary gain would not discourage me (as you already know, your weight does go up and down during the week.) Another thing I did was keep a food diary. I recorded what I ate every single day, and am still doing this today. The food chart is just for me, so if I cheated, I also kept record of this, and that way I would have a true indication of how my cheats affected or didn't affect my weight (mostly they didn't.)

I keep a jar of pistachios on my desk at work, and I also keep some of those Atkins Endulge peanut butter cups in my drawer at work. That way, if I need something extra over the regular meals and snacks, I have something I can fall back on that is not really a cheat. Also, a new favorite, is Braum's Carb Watch ice cream. I always feel like I'm cheating when I have some!

I think you are right about some of the SB sites, they are so obsessive. For me this was about finding a healthier way of eating that I could adapt to my life. I knew it wouldn't work for me if I had to live a diet. And believe it or not, I tried to not make it about losing weight. My body was telling me I was making poor food choices because of the way I felt, not just the weight, and after reading about a lot of diets, I chose the SB because I am not into counting calories, or carbs, or fat, or points. I didn't want to be that involved. This sounds like it's conflicting information because of the measurement chart and food diary, but I looked on those as temporary means to get me started in the right direction.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: