quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Quit for six months, so why don't I feel better???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: July 16, 2004 5:50 PM    Post subject: Quit for six months, so why don't I feel better??? Reply with quote

People, I have been quit for about six and a half months now, and I thought not smoking was supposed to make a world of difference in the way you feel. How come I don't feel any better?

I wake up still tired, just like I did when I smoked. I have no energy during the day, and that's the way it was when I smoked.

I guess I need to exercise or something, huh? I get absolutely ZERO exercise now, but that's the way it was when I smoked also. I have put on about 8 lbs., and it is ALL right in the gut. I was overweight to begin with, and I didn't need that extra 8 lbs.

I know there are other benefits to not smoking, but if I went strictly by how I feel, I actually think I felt a little better when I was smoking!

This sucks!

Tom

I have been quit for 6 Months, 2 Weeks, 18 hours and 19 minutes (197 days). I have saved $741.60 by not smoking 5,932 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 14 hours and 20 minutes of my life.

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 16, 2004 6:18 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

You said you're not feeling better at all. I'll bet you are but it's so gradual and subtle you aren't noticing it. I'm sure exercise wouldn't hurt, though.

If you think you should be feeling lots better, see your doc. As you probably know, I was diagnosed with asthma and began using inhalers prior to my quit. That sure made a difference in how I felt.

Whether you're consciously feeling better or not, you KNOW you're much better. Nicotine is a killer. Hang in there, friend.

Living free for 3M, 5D, 20H, 45M and loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 16, 2004 7:19 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom, I think Quitting is part of a process. You Quit, which makes you feel a little better, then start eating better foods because you gained a little weight from the Quitting, then start adding some exercise because you can breathe better. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen. My sinuses have cleared up and I very seldom ever cough, and this is with just less than a month.

Perhaps a visit to a doctor would be in order if you are concerned. Please take care of yourself!

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Ben's Mom

Quit Date:
July 6, 2004

PostPosted: July 17, 2004 12:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

I'm a newbie here so I can't tell you what 6 mos down the road will feel like.

I'm not sure what you mean by not feeling better, do you feel bad? If so, maybe you need to see a doctor and get a physical just to give you a baseline on your health. Don't mean to be stereotyping (sp?) men, but you guys are famous for avoiding the doctor.

I too have had my up and down days, but just getting out for a walk makes me feel better. I know that sounds trivial, but it really does help both the body and soul. I highly recommend walking where it is peaceful and you can reflect on your accomplishment and where you want to go from here.

You are saving your life by not smoking, Tom. Now you may need to do some other things to improve your sense of well-being.

I do know you are a big asset here and have worked hard to keep your quit. Don't give up now....keep on trucking!

I hope your dreams take you... to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known.
unknown author
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: July 17, 2004 7:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you guys.

I know I shouldn't go back to the old smoking thing again, and I don't plan to do so.

I am saving money, am no longer a social outcast, am no longer playing Russian roulette with my health, and am in control of my life again. These are all GOOD things. Just because I don't "feel good" moment to moment doesn't mean I should go back to that awful addiction.

It's just disappointing that I have not gained the energy that I know I should have. That time I quit for a month several years ago, I woke up each morning feeling really refreshed, and I was ready to face the day. That never has happened this time.

Oh well, I'll bet that the extra 8 lbs is a big factor in my feeling so bad. Gonna have to somehow work some exercise into my daily routine.

Tom

I have been quit for 6 Months, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 7 hours and 58 minutes (198 days). I have saved $743.74 by not smoking 5,949 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 15 hours and 45 minutes of my life.

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 17, 2004 8:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, we;re going to tell Angel about those 8 lbs. when she gets back from training, you're in big trouble.

and the fatigue thing...if it's really bothering you, see your doctor. Have you ever had thyroid checked?

Quitting smoking changes your metobolism. Mr. Bill has been diagnosed as hyperthyroid (Graves disease) for about 8 years. When he quit, his thyroid levels changed, and he almost went to hypothyroid, and needed to have his medications adjusted.

It's true that smoking is a form of self medication. It's possible that an underlying medical condition is now surfacing because you are no longer masking it by smoking. See your doctor! Meantime, watch out for Angel.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 17, 2004 5:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, Tom,

Hope you're feelin' better. Barb wrote exactly what I was thinking. "Several years ago" we weren't the age we are today. Could that possibly have something with your perceived lack of energy? I'm betting it could. I've gained some energy since quitting but nowhere near what I had years ago. You're doing great. Get a physical and let your doctor tell you you're in FANTASTIC shape. If that doesn't make you feel better, nothing will Laughing .

You're such a great addition to this group. Please don't give in to Laughing Demon . He's a big liar.

Living free for 3M, 6D, 19H, 45M and loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: July 18, 2004 5:22 AM    Post subject: Tired all the time...pass tence Reply with quote

Tom, I too went through the lack of energy dilemma. I felt tired all the time and had little to no motivation. I hated going to work because I was tired, and couldn't get myself on to the mat let alone do any Yoga.

Ok...I'm in my 50's too but I still had a hard time believing I felt so wore out AFTER I quit smoking.

I had similar feelings about the quit. I thought maybe I felt better when I smoked.

I really had to think about his. I am no longer out of breath when I hike, jog some, do yoga or work for long periods of time. I got to thinking I might not feel as energetic because I do more. Get tired more. Rest less because I have no smoke break to take. I too have put on some weight, but half is off now. Seven pounds to go and I am at the same weight as when I quit.

Don't give up. Think of ways to help yourself. I went to the health food store and got:
Ener'gen-C
"America's favorite Vitamin C fizzing drink Mix"
It contains:
1,000 mg of vitamin C
32 active mineral complexes and B vitamins
A powerful Antioxidant
Electrolyte Balanced
(It's an Energy Booster...all natural) They come in packets..I buy a box of 36 at a time.

Also at Wal-Mart I bought Green Tea Energizing Blend Plus Ginseng...Herbal supplement and,
Ginkgo Biloba Mental alertness. I got these in the vitamin isle. Plus I take a good adult vitamin.

I have been on this stuff since my six month quit date and have been feeling much less tired. I feel a surge of energy I hadn't experienced with my quit.

Either the sluggishness goes away in time or like me (not much patience) I went over the counter and foud a vitamin supplement. I had a health screening at work and I am in good health. I wasn't ready to cave to the age thin just yet.

Give it a try if you want.

Thinking of you,
Sandyz

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: July 18, 2004 10:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to have friends like you guys. So many of you took time to reply to my post, and it really means a lot to me. Thanks to all of you.

No, I really don't want to start smoking again. That would be STUPID. I just want to feel better, that's all. Maybe I will get off my ass and start getting at least a little exercise. Walking is most likely the only thing I will do, but that would help, I know.

You guys are good buds! I'm very fortunate to have you all.

Tom

I have been quit for 6 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 10 hours and 6 minutes (199 days). I have saved $747.82 by not smoking 5,982 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 18 hours and 30 minutes of my life.

tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: July 18, 2004 1:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the exercise that the Tomster and Ross Allen get.

Tom

Ben's Mom

Quit Date:
July 6, 2004

PostPosted: July 18, 2004 2:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tomster.....that looks like a ton of fun but not much in the exercise catagory! Very Happy

I just want to say one more time (ok it is nagging a bit Embarassed )

Get yourself a physical so you have a baseline on your health!

It is very important and I think it will make you feel much better!

ok....I'll leave you and Ross Allen alone now!

I hope your dreams take you... to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known.
unknown author
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: July 18, 2004 3:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but Barb, I have to lift my legs to get into the Jeep! And Ross Allen has to jump up into the back of the Jeep when I open the tailgate! Smile

I know that Jeepin' is not exercise, Barb, but it is FUN!!!!!!

I need to start walking, and take RA with me, of course.

Tom

I have been quit for 6 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 16 hours and 24 minutes (199 days). I have saved $748.80 by not smoking 5,990 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 19 hours and 10 minutes of my life.

ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 19, 2004 4:59 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Tom, let's make it a trio of nags. Smile I'm with Ben's Mom and Margaret. Can you just get it checked out?

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: July 19, 2004 8:26 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm THINKING about seeing the doc. I was supposed to go to the lab and give a blood sample and then see the doc again four months after my last visit. It has been about that long or a little more, so I might just go ahead and do that. Doc wanted to check my cholesterol level after I had taken the Lipitor for four months. I'll tell him about the fatigue.

Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: