quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 20, 2004 11:58 PM    Post subject: Help.... Reply with quote

I'm expanding. And no I don't mean a new addition on my home. I've got the exercise part down, and I'm really not much for junk food. But if I could have an IV of refined sugar I think I'd go for it. Mainly chocolate. Any suggestions on how to lose my taste for something? Rolling Eyes Kerry
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 21, 2004 9:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry,

I have been dieting off and on since I was 12. My latest attempt has been my most successful - 60 pounds gone. I think that the difference this time is that I'm making lifestyle changes and not just trying to lose weight and go back to my old eating habits. My experience with sugar was that initially I had to stay away from it COMPLETELY. There were no sugary treats in my house. I even had to avoid the fake sweeteners. I can't have a package of cookies at home and just eat one. I have to eat the whole bag. It's embarassing to admit that, but that's just how I am. Once I lost the taste for sweets, I was ok. Now when I want a treat I go out for it. I stop at the bakery and get one cookie or buy a candy bar at work and eat it at work.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: July 21, 2004 1:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla,

thats my line, i've been saying it for years, i've been on a diet since I was 12. do you also add that you went straight from 6x to 13-14.

i'm going to try south beach starting next week, after i come back from the beach, i could lose 60 pounds also. do you have kids, i just always think it cruel to take all the junk food out of the house, they don't have weight problems and probably never will.

Kerry,

i know this sounds crazy, but you just have to stop. eating chocolate makes you want more chocolate. the more carbs you eat, the more you want, for me anyway. i've been going to the gym a minimum of 3 times a week since before i quit, and here i sit 22 pounds heavier. you should see my biceps! I know muscle weighs more, that would be 11 pounds per bicep, i don't think so.

i have like 78 more pounds i could gain before its more unhealthy than smoking. yikes! south beach, monday definately!

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 21, 2004 2:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kerry,

I, too, need help with the weight thing. My problem isn't sugar, though, it's salty foods like chips and dip; carrots and dip; crackers and dip. Do you see a pattern here? Anything with dip is wonderful! Is there any help for me?

Tell you what. I'll take care of your sugar and you take care of my salt. That should work.

Living free for 101 days and loving it.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 21, 2004 2:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good to me!! I definitely do have to work on things. The thing that has been bothering me the most is that I lost 52 last year and have gained back about 12. I felt behind the 8 ball. This morning though, I was talking to a nurse at swimming lessons and she told me not to feel that way. That I've already helped to reverse disease process by losing weight and quitting smoking. SOOOOO... NO MORE PITTY POT. I'm going on vacation on Sunday. I will treat myself but not over do it. And first and foremost of course, I won't smoke. My FIRST non-smoking vacation. I can't wait to see what the difference is. And when I come back, I will start to inch away from the chocolate. And yes, I'd be glad to keep watch over your salt shaker. Laughing Kerry
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 21, 2004 2:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanda,

I don't have kids at home so that makes it a lot easier for me. I only have to deprive myself.

Kerry,

Pick up a copy of the August edition of Oprah Magazine. Mine arrived yesterday and this one covers losing weight and "10 Rules of Permanent Weight Loss." There's a lot of good, practical ideas and some inspiring success stories.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: July 21, 2004 2:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Carla, I'm a magazine junkie so I'll love digging in! Very Happy Kerry
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 22, 2004 12:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerry,

I'm an oldie, just come back so, hellooo to you!!

The last time I took myself off of refined sugars, it was pure, unadulterated will. I'm actually working on doing it again. I'm currently doing the weaning off method, it's too long, and it sucks, but no one can make you do something better than YOU!! It's no bowl of cherries, but the only way to do it, like getting regular exercise, is to just DO IT!! Nike is on to something.

Be well,
Nita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 22, 2004 5:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the South Beach. I began on December 28 of last year and went from 196 to 160 (I'm just under 5'9".) I agree with Carla. It is not about dieting. It is about eliminating the foods my body will no longer process efficiently. The first two weeks of the South Beach is about getting you off unhealthy carbs, sugar, white rice, white flour, white potatos, etc. After the first two weeks you start adding back healthy carbs, whole grains, sweet potatos, etc. So this is not a low carb or low fat diet. It is a healthy carb healthy fat diet. You do not eat less. You eat different. After my Quit I gained 8 pounds back, mostly through too much sugar and fat (chocolate cake), but have since lost 4 of those by just eating the foods in Phase II.

I have been avoiding exercising like the plague. I confess, that is the only module on FFS I haven't worked. I know I need it. I just can't seem to get there from here. Maybe tomorrow!

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: July 22, 2004 4:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Tonya's post....On the South Beach diet you have a rather rigid first 2 weeks. But during that 2 weeks your cravings for sugar will virutally disappear. As has been said the more bad carbs you eat the more you will want. It really is not a diet of deprivation. But it is also not a "rapid loss" diet. I recommend it. It is so easy to stay on and I feel so much healthier, it virutally removes all refined sugars and flours.
If you are trying to get rid of the desire for sweets Kerry, try the South Beach. You can buy the books just about anywhere.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: