quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fear of Dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 8:38 AM    Post subject: Fear of Dogs Reply with quote

I would love to go for a walk around my neighborhood, but for some reason I have developed a tremendous fear of dogs. If one starts barking, I freeze. I have even jumped on a mans back I was so afraid. One time I got in a strangers truck so he could drive me home. Smoking kept me at home, for that is the only place I would smoke. Now I need to get out and get fresh air and exercise. Love walking. Have no exercise partner. Once I get to know a dog, I am okay. Its really weird.

I probably sound like a nut case to you guys. But I am trying to face all my fears. (And believe me, I have many) I can't understand why I am so afraid of dogs. I owned one when I was younger. Never have been bitten. But I was chased by a dozen hound dogs when I was 8. Of course, I think deep down I am really afraid of getting rabies and never finding out about it until it is too late. Then maybe it all goes deeper, and I am afraid to die. I could keep analizing.

But forget it. I gave my life to the Lord. I need to have faith. And fear does not come from God.

It's all in the attitude. Do I want to improve myself or not? YES!

THEN JUST DO IT! Very Happy

May God Bless You All

Kevin, I am going to submit this, but should this have been in the ranting?

Thanks

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 9:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Londa, you don't say whether these dogs are on a leash or not. In my neighborhood we sometimes have a problem with unleashed dogs. I have a walking cane, hand-carved by a friend, that I take with me when I walk in my neighborhood. I also call animal control when I get home if I encounter the same hostile dogs more than once. Once is a mistake, twice is not.

If you are having a problem with leashed dogs scaring you, do you have a friend with a small dog you could get to know? This might help you overcome your fear of them.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
julie

Quit Date:
July 19, 2004

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 9:43 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, maybe you could go to a nice park where the dogs are required to be leashed.

You are doing GREAT!!!!

Julie- day 13

"Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering" (Heb. 10:32)
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 10:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't sound like a nutcase, Londa, and i think this post belongs right where it is (as you're talking about a challenge with your exercise program).

i don't have any advice to offer about the dogs; but it looks like you've already gotten a couple of good suggestions - maybe you'll get some more, and maybe one of them will do the trick for you.

in any case, keep it going!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 11:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Londa! Lots of people are afraid of dogs, and the dogs sense it, and react accordingly.

First, if you are walking in your neighborhood and there are dogs, heres some things to do (or not)

Don't wear a hat...lots of dogs don't react well to hats.

If you encounter a dog on leash with owner, ask owner to get dog under control...(sit..not you, the dog), and ask if you can pet. Put your hand out and let the dog smell you before petting.

Never run from a dog...they can always outrun you, unless it's one of those midget dogs, and they're still pretty fast. Stop, take your stand, and yell "sit" at the top of your lungs. This will work 50% of the time.

Buy some biscuits, and keep them in your pocket...it's pretty true that dogs will not bite the hand that feeds them.

Seriously, all of these are good tips. My dog Tiger has been through extensive obedience training, and has his CGS (Canine Good Citizen) and Therapy Dog certifications. However, as trained as he is, there are some people in our neighborhood he HATES...because they are afraid of him and he knows it....and I would never allow him to be out of control, because even though he's a goofy friendly trained dog...you NEVER know what an animal will do.

If you really want to encounter dogs and learn to not be afraid, contact obedience schools in your area. Trainers often need extra people who are "strangers" to dogs, to help in their training...like approach the owner and dog to have him be petted. also, to approach and touch dog, like a judge in a show would. This would be a good controlled situation for you and the dogs and owners being trained.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 12:47 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Londa,

You're not a nutcase because you're frightened of dogs. That's a pretty common fear and is sometimes totally unfounded. However, it's a shame to let that fear keep you from going for a walk around the neighborhood. A friend of mine had this same concern and consulted a local pet supply store. They sold her something (not sure what it was) that she could carry with her and spray at an advancing dog. Whatever this was, it was totally harmless to the dog, just startled them so that she could walk away. You might give that a try.

You've received many other great ideas too. Don't give up walking, it's wonderful exercise.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: July 31, 2004 4:24 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londa,

good luck with the walking program. l usually carry pepper spray with me while I walk....just a suggestion. I don't know what else to tell you really. Others above have given you some great advice. It does a lot of good to get in the fresh air and go for a relaxing walk.
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: August 1, 2004 7:46 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the advice! Believe it or not, reading everything brought on a little of anxiety. That should tell you how fearful I am. But after reading everything. I realize, I need to deal with my REACTION to dogs. I think going to a obedient school is a good idea.

I've been told before to carry a spray. But I don't want to hurt the dog, plus I was afraid the dog would remember me and then come after me next time he saw me.

I will go for a walk outside later today. I will do this. Because this is part of my quit smoking program. One day at a time.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

May God Bless You All! Very Happy

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: