quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stressed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 6:38 AM    Post subject: Stressed Reply with quote

Yesterday was a b***h and today is going to be just as bad, or worse. Yesterday I was called out of a meeting to be briefed by our second line on an incident regarding one of the members in my office. Serious incident, could mean possible termination for this member, and it is my job to represent her and try to save her job. I am studying contract language, the monitoring agreement and researching my files for precedence, and all this for the first time without smoking. Normally the ash tray would be the center of the table with all my files spread around it. Now there is a glass of water and an empty cereal bowl. At least I have my fiber for the day! The Good Lord knows how important it is to be regular.

To top it all off, it is for certain a surplus will be annouced in our division of the company today. I don't know if it will affect my office or not. But for sure, it will affect people I know and work with. So in addition to preparing for the defense of the member with the alledged incident, I am also preparing for any questions regarding a possible surplus. A surplus does not mean a layoff. That is one thing to be thankful for.

I am stressed and I am whining, I know. I am trying to count my blessings. The thought keeps sneaking in that I could concentrate better and get through it easier if I just had one. I wouldn't even have to buy one. Anyone outside smoking would give me one. I could get away from it all just for a little while.

I am really angry at this member for risking her job, I am angry at the company for surplusing employees. I am angry that my first thought is smoking. As if that would help anything.

I am going to go kink my hair, put on my war paint, put on my Union shirt and go fight the good fight. And dammit, I will not smoke!

Sorry for the rant. But nobody else really gets what it means to do this without smoking.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 6:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go you!!

It's hard taking on any new trigger without smoking, let alone one that involves stress.
Focus on the job in hand, ignore the demon cigarettes as much as you can and just think how good you'll feel about yourself later!! You know what to do. You'll deserve an extra special bowl of cereal I think!!

Get angry with those cigarettes for talking in your ear when you're trying to work - let their dirty tricks work against them, as you get more irritated by them before. Show them you wont fall for their evil plan. Sneaky devils!

...Good Luck!!!!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 8:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could get away from it all just for a little while.

Yes, you could. And yes, it would be for just a little while. Becuase then you'd be "away from it" a lot, keeping up with your addiction.

Yes, you're stressed, but as you said, you'll put on your war paint, deal with it, and get by it, without smoking!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 8:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to update us later!!...even if it means coming clean...but i'm sure that wont be the case! Laughing
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 11:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need to apologize, Tonya; this was a great rant!

and you're right; nobody else really does understand what it means to do this without smoking, but we do.

and i for one am proud of you for putting on your war paint and going forth to meet the day without feeding your addiction.

keep fighting the good fight!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 11:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonya, you're doing great. Remember, NOTHING will change if you have that cigarette. You'll still be anry at your company and even angrier at yourself for smoking. Keep up that strong will. Kerry
justdebbie

Quit Date:
August 1, 2004

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 12:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUGS HUGS HUGS more Hugs for Tonya!!!

Go ahead and rant all you want hon, and KICK BUTT!!!! Just don't I repeat don't chew used chewing gum. (smile Tonya) It will be better.

HUGS HUGS HUGS

Deb
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 2:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for All and All for One! You Go GIRL!
UNION ALL THE WAY! We're sticken by you in spirit! When you feel that warm feeling, that's Tom, Pamela, Margaret, Mindy, Kevin, Frederick, and everyone else there standing be side you. You can't see us but you can feel our presence. And of course God, He is always with you.

You'll be fine!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 4:09 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Tonya,

Thanks for the rant. It was very well thought-out and I feel for you being in this situation. Being responsible for others can be a terrible challenge. Sounds like you're handling it beautifully and very caringly (is that a word?).

You said you wouldn't have to buy cigarettes, that someone would be happy to give you one. Probably so but you and I both know that one wouldn't do it. There would be the second, third, and ad infinitum. I'm so happy you didn't take that chance with your wonderful quit.

Thanks again for the post and for being such a great role model.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 5:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, the day is done. One victory, we saved one on a technicality, but lost 9 to surplus. These are young people with little ones, some are single parents, some just bought cars, or houses. Some are in college. Good people. Three of them this is their second surplus. I am just heart sick. Crying or Very sad It is not yet a lay off. It is possible there are jobs for them within the company. It may not be the job they want. It may not be the same pay. It may not be in the same city. But it would still be a good job. Right now, though, it just doesn't feel like enough.

The good advice from you all is sincerely appreciated. I had one brief moment before lunch when I was able to sit down and read. Then I promptly went to lunch and ordered the chocolate black out cake. Between the support from all of you here and the cake I made it through the day without the smokes. I have a weekend of studying ahead in order to be an "expert" on surplus by Monday morning, but there is no one to bum one from around the house so I think it's going to be okay. Another first without smoking under my belt. And this too shall pass! Cool

Tonya

~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: August 12, 2004 6:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

btw: what do you mean by a "surplus"? i always thought a surplus was a good thing, but i gather that it's not in this case.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: August 13, 2004 4:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin, I guess if it was a surplus of money it would be a good thing. Very Happy In this case it is a surplus of people who hold a specific job title. They have protection through our contract with the company and the company will attempt to find them jobs elsewhere in the company. It could be for the same pay, or it could be for less pay. The scarey part is whether or not it is in the same city. If the job offered was in Dallas and you lived in Fort Worth, that could be a 60-80 mile drive every day, one way, in horrible traffic, depending on where you lived. Or if there are no jobs within that scope, it could be elsewhere in Texas. That would almost assuredly mean moving. If there are no jobs within the state, it would next go to the region, in this case, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas or Arkansas. And these are the lucky ones. It was also announced that an office in Arlington would be closed and those individuals had the option of following their work either to Waco or Houston. That does mean a move for those folks. I did ramble on. You can see I have been hitting the books. Very Happy Thanks for asking.

Tonya

~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: August 14, 2004 11:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Wow, Tonya, I did not know I had such a warm, caring, confident,strong,smart and great ally. You did so great to admit you had the thoughts and show the strength to fight it. I definitely would want you in my corner....thanks for sharing some of that strength with me.

Wink Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: