quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OCD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoey

Quit Date:
November 14, 2006

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 1:25 PM    Post subject: OCD Reply with quote

When I was a drug counselor, one of the other counselors and I used to laugh about our Obsessive Compulsive Disorder characteristics. It was a running joke.

THIS IS NO JOKE!

I am supposed to be working on a project. Big project. But, of course, the coffee grounds need to be vacuumed up first. And the files need to be organized. And the sticky notes need to be alphabetized. (and the quit smoking list needs to be told of every moment in my life first)

I am exaggerating. But more than anything, I am procrastinating. Ug!!! This is when I would normally smoke. I say normally, as if I just quit three days ago.

I am not going to smoke. I am not even going to go outside the building for three hours. Then, I will walk around it and head back, avoiding any smokers.
Laughing Demon Laughing Demon Laughing Demon Laughing Demon Laughing Demon Laughing Demon Laughing Demon
I am hanging by a thread here. And when I think like that, I think of Bryan Curtis and my aunt and the ways that so many of you have hung in there during very rough times. OK, deep breath and no smoking!
Leona

Quit Date:
June 1, 2017

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 1:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You keep blowing bubbles not smoke zoey. Post as often as you need to and do whatever it takes to not smoke do the hokey pokey or jump up and down alphabetize the stickey notes file what ever it takes DON"T SMOKE

One week, six days, 2 hours, 32 minutes and 16 seconds. 524 cigarettes not smoked, saving $90.43. Life saved: 1 day, 19 hours, 40 minutes.

Quiting smoking is like a fine wine ......
It just gets better with age.
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 1:32 PM    Post subject: Rough day Reply with quote

Hey girlfriend....you are having one heck of a day there! Mad No, I don't like what's going on one little bit.

Ok, so I'll tell you about my day. I woke up....WOKE UP....with anxiety and what i call adrenaline "baths".... Embarassed that were going on all morning. I was out here on the boards at 6:30 AM all alone. Finally, anxiety got so bad I went back in the house and took a whirlpool bath and didn't smoke.

OK That's reply # 1

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 1:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now with Leona's reply, this will be # 3.

You're having a bad day. That's it. It will pass. It's just a sucky, icky, yucky Scowling Demon Laughing Demon Mad Crying or Very sad bad day!

You know you will not smoke, cuz what's that going to prove? Sad

So, do a hokey pokey.....turn yourself around......and don't smoke.........and post again.

Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 1:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm back. I was just thinking....you are having "junky" addict thinking....when you are not able to do anything on this project, because all you can do is think about having a smoke to get you started.

Hey,.....you're SOOOOOO close to nine months, I can't believe. Now, me...I can still have addict junky thoughts, cuz I'm not that long in my quit....I have an excuse.

But you......take that junky addict thinking and stow it. But wait...if you DO smoke....will it make your project go faster Rolling Eyes Exclamation

Laughing Demon So you could go out Laughing Demon and buy some Laughing Demon and have just one Laughing Demon and then get your project started Laughing Demon

And who is that talking? Laughing Demon Who's in control? Scowling Demon

You are, my dear Zoey, you are....and you're NOT going to listen to that old nicodemon.!

Zoey

Quit Date:
November 14, 2006

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 4:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you're hilarious. Thank you for the support. Ya know what, there's no way that this is gonna be done on time. I would have felt really stupid if I had smoked and then still not finished on time. Either way, would not be done. At least, I'm still a quitter!

Yeah for the quitters!
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 4:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, quitters rock! Glad you're back and smoke free.....been watching the boards for you worrying. I shouldn't have.

I'm kind of having this procrastination thing too. A cigarette always signaled the end of a job and the beginning of a new one. The hardest jobs to tackle got done bit by bit with cigarettes as carrot and reward. Chocolate works, but it's not the same. I'm still trying to figure out this one.

Any who, glad you're smoke free Laughing

Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 4:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Zoey
Your problem sounds a little more like ADHD than OCD. I mean I have heard of multitasking but this is a little ridiculous Laughing
I know you are under a lot of stress and I know it is equally as hard having the "smoking crusaders" outside your door. But remember this will pass. . You said you were a drug counselor....what would you have told a client to do in a situation like this?
"Doctor heal thyself."
You are strong...you have proven that time and time again. You didn't make it this far just by luck, you know. You worked for it and you will do it again.
Take care and keep us updated

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 5:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL!! Zoey.. I had writers block last week... I was three weeks behind on a deadline and STILL couldn't start it... but I did my laundry, planted some plants, weeded the garden, fertilized the garden, mowed the lawn, watered the garden, swept up the area behind the garage, did the dishes, put away some clothes, scrubbed the kitchen floor.

So while I didn't make much headway at all re: my deadline.. the garden looked incredible and the house was pretty darn clean! I certainly didn't feel like it was wasted or futile time.. call it OCD if you will, but my laundry was clean at the end of the day.

Oh yeah.. I missed the deadline too... but eventually I got it done.. another few days late.. and what I realized is that I could have writers block AND be traumatically late on a deadline and STILL not smoke... awesome!

AND.. you can too... now about that massage.

-Zuzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > introductions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: