quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Body Fat Percentage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 11, 2004 9:36 PM    Post subject: Body Fat Percentage Reply with quote

Found the following links on estimating body fat percentage:

http://www.he.net/~zone/prothd2.html US Navy calculator

http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/reload.pl Health Status Internet Assessments

http://www.healthcentral.com/cooltools/CT_Fitness/bodyfat1.cfm Health Central website

This was pretty interesting!!!! I have a bit of work to do to reduce mine. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Bittersweet results..good and bad (needs improving) Shocked

The last 2 websites have different types of calculators on health related items.

The Health Status Internet Assessments even has a "cost of smoking" calculator......now isn't that a motivation to quit...money spent on smoking!!!

Thanks Kevin for your inspiration!

Deb

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 11, 2004 10:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job, Deb! (i thought that somebody would have one of these out there.)

of the three you list, the first one (the navy one) is the closest to the one from the marines that i've been using (not really a surprise, since the marines are actually part of the navy).

the second one i'm not too sure about, because the link you posted went to a "calculator not found" error page. but if it's the one that asks only your age and weight, it can't be terribly accurate.

the last one gave me a result that's 4 points lower than the marine one i've been using and 5 points lower than the navy one (your first link), so i wonder about its accuracy, but i could be wrong (and maybe i didn't get all the measurements exactly right, either - one reason i prefer the marine method; only 2 places to measure).

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 11, 2004 11:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Try this link for the second one:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculators.html

The websites varied on me too. The Navy showed a 30% body fat. The last website showed a body fat of 28.4%. The big difference between the websites was the "ideal weight". The Navy site said I should weight 114lbs, the second site said 125 lbs, and the third site said 118 lbs. All agreed my ideal body fat should be 22%. The average american woman is 32%, which is 10% above the normal. I usually set my "feel good" weight at 120 to 125 lbs. I prefer closer to 120.

So, stat wise, even before I quit smoking, I need to lose 8% body fat and 13 lbs at 120lbs or 15 lbs at 118lbs. I've started a log on weight. Monday morning I will weight myself at the start of the quit and monitor my weight.

At whyquit.com, I have read the effects of the blood sugar drop and the way nicotine increased the release of stored fat and sugars to the body only seconds after inhaling a smoke. And the 20 minutes it takes to naturally release the fats and sugars to the body through eating. Which without this knowledge a person would just continue eating till the blood sugar would rise which takes the 20 minutes from the time of the first bite. So, I'm prepared with the cranberry juice to drink throughout the day. Also, I will snack (healthy) every couple of hours to maintain a blood sugar level and decrease the possibility of a sudden blood sugar drop. So, with some diligence, I won't gain weight or very little during the quit.

Kind of got off course there.....from the body fat. Smile

Deb

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: September 12, 2004 12:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow these were fun to do!!
According to the first one, my body fat is 17%, which is under the reccomended 22% for females? I dunno i can't help it! I have small frame and according to my doctors and from taking Nutrition in school I am fine!

THen according to HeathCentral i have 15.6%. Both under the average, but all i know is I'm healthy. I'm going to start working out more to get more toned and ballet with definitely give me more muscles ... I wonder if the % will drop even more?

Well i always knew i didn't have much body fat anyway, but Im healthy so i guess thats all that matters.

hehehe
Very Happy

Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: September 12, 2004 7:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb wrote:
Kevin,

Try this link for the second one:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculators.html

that's much better; the only one i found there last night was the "BMI" (body mass indicator) calculator, which only asked your height and weight; i didn't think that could be an especially accurate way of calculating body fat percentage...

thanks for the updated link!

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: September 12, 2004 7:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked through all three of these and found the third one to be most realistic. The first one did not take age into consideration. The second one took only height and weight. The third one put my ideal weight at 145 which is what I've been shooting for. Based on where I started, I am more than half way there. Cool

Thanks Deb for the info. This helped clarify my fitness goals. This is really good stuff. Very Happy

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: September 12, 2004 8:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this question might be a little dumb but i need to ask! How are these calculations accuarte?? Are they proven to be accurate?

Found this :

Is Your Body Fat Lower Than 22 Percent (Women) or 15 Percent (Men)?
The result of this calculator suggests a healthy weight for you and how many pounds of fat you need to lose to achieve that weight. However, if you're a woman with lower than 22 percent body fat, or a man with lower than 15 percent body fat, you probably don't need to lose any more fat. This calculator does not apply to you.

Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: