quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Health effects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calliemae

Quit Date:
May 3, 2004

PostPosted: April 23, 2004 11:27 PM    Post subject: Health effects Reply with quote

Health effects have not gotten me to quit. This baffles me. My dad and brother died from lung cancer. Both of course smoked. I laid at the side of my brother on chair in the hospital the last night of his life with him hooked to oxygen and everything else. I know smoking is deadly, yet I smoke. For whatever reason I don't accept reality. It won't happen to me iswhat I think. When in all probablity even if I quit I still have a good chance of ending up with lung cancer like my brother did 12 years after he quit. I am not a stupid person. I love myself and I CAN QUIT
Lisa

Lisa
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: April 23, 2004 11:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addiction, no matter what kind, is the one thing in life that supercedes the humans inherent need to survive. When we become addicted it over rides common sense, physical pain, relationships, ....virtually every aspect of our life....including life itself. You are not stupid, but you are right your addiction keeps you from accepting reality....even though you intellectually understand.
That is why it is so important to become educated, prepared and motivated to take on this battle. Because you are engaging in one of the most difficult but yet most doable battle of your life. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT.
Together we can slay the dragon, together we will win. TOGETHER WE WILL LIVE AND WE WILL LIVE FREE.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 7:23 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa. Carol is right...it's the addiction. If you haven't yet, go to whyquit.com, and read Nicodemon's Lies. It pretty much covers all the lies/excuses/rational that we use to continue to justify our smoking addiction. Know what you're dealing with ( Laughing Demon ) and you'll have an easier time dealing with it.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 8:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Carol. You can beat this addiction once and for all. We're all in this together and you will get all of the support you need. We'll help you though this!

Mindy
3M+ Nicotine Free
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 9:06 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others on each point. I just wanted to add that you can beat this addiction and that your body does start to heal the moment you quit smoking. It is never to late to quit. We are all here to help you.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
lbuz

Quit Date:
May 29, 2007

PostPosted: April 24, 2004 10:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa

This addiction is the worst. I watched my sister die at age 33 of lung cancer. She complained of the pain for about a year, and Dr's told her she was a stressed out women and gave her anti-depressants. That was after 5 different dr's. the next one she went to she didn't give any prior history and finally did some x-rays. At that point she was in Stage 4 and too late to do anything. It was in her brain, lungs, you name it, there were things popping out all over (literally). She died within 2 months. Her last week they let her smoke in her hospital room as long as she had someone in the room with her. I couldn't do it, but of course when I left the hospital, what was the first thing I did, you got it I lit up. It took me almost 4 years of quits to come to the point I am at now, almost 2 months quit. I saw her leave behind two small children and the damage it has done to them and I still didn't quit. I have two small children of my own and I still didn't quit. What made me quit this time was totally within myself, whatever sparked it, I don't know, I even quit while my husband still smoked. He has since quit too. Whatever it was I am grateful for it, it is all about us, nothing can break us from this addiction but ourselves, and it's not easy, we can't do it for anyone else, no matter how much we want to it has got to come from within. Good Luck to you!!! and Yes you can quit!!!

One month, three weeks, six days, 21 hours, 44 minutes and 56 seconds. 853 cigarettes not smoked, saving $213.40. Life saved: 2 days, 23 hours, 5 minutes.

Lisa
Suzanne

Quit Date:
March 28, 2003

PostPosted: April 26, 2004 8:54 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, yes you CAN quit! Perhaps the health factor isn't going to play into your reasons to quit, but obviously you can come up with other excellent reasons to quit or you wouldn't be here posting. I know the boards on the American Lung Association website don't work, but the modules do. I might suggest you work through the modules there on the Freedom From Smoking Online and just see what happens to your thinking. The modules really helped me get clear on why I was doing what I was doing. The readings on WhyQuit.com helped me a lot, too.

The point is, the more educated you can get about nicotine addiction, the more powerful will be your quit when it comes. It will be a DECISION rather than just a RESOLUTION... know whutta mean? Very Happy

Suzanne H.
over 1 year breathin' easy

The urge will pass whether you smoke or not!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: