quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Coughing and cleaning your lungs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 6, 2004 8:10 AM    Post subject: Coughing and cleaning your lungs Reply with quote

now, i've been thinking too much and have got myself into a flap.. I never really had a sore throat after i gave up smoking until last week. That's passed now, but a couple of times in the last 2 weeks i've coughed up yukky stuff in the morning. I know it's not a cold, because it's really dark brown/black. And almost has stringy bits in it. Could this be the tar finally coming out?
I read somewhere that your doctor can give you medication to help it come out.

But will it come out all of it's own accord? Is that certain? I like the idea of getting rid of all the rubbish...i just worry that as mine took over two months to really start to shift that my tar is stronger than everyone else's and it might need a bit of help budging......advise anyone?
I'd rather not take medication if at all possible. Any herbal or other tips? Confused
terryg

Quit Date:
May 13, 2004

PostPosted: October 6, 2004 4:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hope,

I also coughed up stringy stuff 2 months into my quit. It was brown, a couple of times I thought it was bloody. I went to the doctor & he said I had asthma. I didn't believe him, and went on my merry way. I still to this day don't want to believe I have asthma, but I continue to cough occasionally and when I do, I cough up stringy stuff still, (but now its clear). This the doctor tells me confirms that I have late onset asthma.

I'm no doctor, and I wouldn't want to give you my quack medical advice, so you may want to go ahead and see a doctor about this. It will ease your mind, when you find out all is well, and as you said your

"tar is stronger than everyone else's and it might need a bit of help budging...." Shocked

Take care of yourself, no sense working yourself into a flap over this. Wink
Terry
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 7, 2004 2:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks. Lets just hope the tar wiggles its way right out soon.

Will keep an eye on it..never has asthma ..but then my brotehr does..mmm, will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again,

hypercondriac Hope Smile
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: October 7, 2004 11:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, i'm totally grossed out but at the same time totally into this conversation haha. Hope dear, get to the doctor, what is that black stuff?? Hmm I wonder if this will happen to me this coming month Shocked . I have not have any stringy black stuff...I had a sore throat and the occasional clear stuff that i cough up but nothing black. Go to the doctor and get it checked! Let us know how you are doing OK??

hugs
mariko

Follow Your Bliss
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 8, 2004 3:07 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hope, I know exactly what you are talking about. It is happening less and less often as I get further into my Quit, and most often happens if I am not drinking enough water. Water, water, water and also, it seems the more I exercise the less trouble I have.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: