quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Supersize Me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: October 14, 2004 1:35 PM    Post subject: Supersize Me Reply with quote

My boyfriend and I just saw the documentary SUPERSIZE ME. Its about fast food and a man who goes on a fast food diet for 30 days. We all know fast food is bad for us, but until seeing this film it made me realize that not only is it bad, but most nutritionists say that you should never eat fast food! He gained weight obviosuly but he also destroyed his liver and even the doctors were surprised at what happened to his health from eating a high fat diet. It also shows how people can become addicted to food etc. His health became so poor that it was hard for him to walk around or even climb upstairs. He didn't take up smoking, he took up eating fast food, and he couldn't even climb stairs! Here is a link to the movie's site. http://www.supersizeme.com/

Also here are a few links for tips on eating out that i looked up. I know most of us are busy and sometimes we do make bad choices when eating out. here are some websites that offer guidelines to choosing what to eat when we do have to eat out.

http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-recipes/nutrition/eatingoutguide.jsp

http://www.restaurant.org/dineout/nutrition.cfm

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/HQ/00599.html

Some Facts from SuperSize Me

These facts? Uh, Not So Fun.
Each day, 1 in 4 Americans visits a fast food restaurant

In 1972, we spent 3 billion a year on fast food - today we spend more than 110 billion

McDonald's feeds more than 46 million people a day - more than the entire population of Spain

French fries are the most eaten vegetable in America

You would have to walk for seven hours straight to burn off a Super Sized Coke, fry and Big Mac

In the U.S., we eat more than 1,000,000 animals an hour

60 % of all Americans are either overweight or obese

One in every three children born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their lifetime

Left unabated, obesity will surpass smoking as the leading cause of preventable death in America

Obesity has been linked to: Hypertension, Coronary Heart Disease, Adult Onset Diabetes, Stroke, Gall Bladder Disease, Osteoarthritis, Sleep Apnea, Respiratory Problems, Endometrial, Breast, Prostate and Colon Cancers, Dyslipidemia, steatohepatitis, insulin resistance, breathlessness, Asthma, Hyperuricaemia, reproductive hormone abnormalities, polycystic ovarian syndrome, impaired fertility and lower back pain

The average child sees 10,000 TV advertisements per year

Only seven items on McDonald's entire menu contain no sugar

Willard Scott was the first Ronald McDonald - he was fired for being too fat

McDonald's distributes more toys per year than Toys-R-Us

Diabetes will cut 17-27 years off your life

McDonald's: "Any processing our foods undergo make them more dangerous than unprocessed foods"

The World Health Organization has declared obesity a global epidemic

Eating fast food may be dangerous to your health

McDonald's calls people who eat a lot of their food "Heavy Users"

McDonald's operates more than 30,000 restaurants in more then 100 countries on 6 continents

Before most children can speak they can recognize McDonald's

Surgeon General David Satcher: "Fast food is a major contributor to the obesity epidemic"

Most nutritionists recommend not eating fast food more than once a month

40% of American meals are eaten outside the home

McDonald's represents 43% of total U.S. fast food market

Mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Carla

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 14, 2004 2:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Mariko. Razz I haven't eaten at McDonald's for over a year. Now all I'm going to think about this afternoon is their French fries. Whimper and sigh.

Carla
Quit Date: January 4, 2004
alleghany

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 14, 2004 4:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen the documentary. I do understand that all he ate was McDonald's and that by the end of the "film" his body had stabilized and was reajusting,

Now, I can speak to my experience. After getting married I gained over 55 "love lbs.". By the fifth year, I called enough. Over 7 years ago I took control, lost the weight and kept it off. I blame absolutely NOONE but myself for my weight gain ~ and I credit absolutely NOONE but myself for losing it and keeping it off. What goes into my mouth is my responsibility.

Just like smoking, we all have choses and we make them everyday. Well, my 2 cents! Cool

Face your fears.
Quit date: June 6, 2004
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 15, 2004 3:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mariko for posting this. I remember the scandal in Fort Worth ISD when they tried to pass off ketchup as a vegetable. I guess that would make it the number two vegetable. Very Happy Great information!

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: October 16, 2004 10:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mariko,

Thanks for the info and for the sites. I'm on a low fat-low cholesterol diet so I found the suggestions there very helpful. As for fast food -- almost never. While it tastes fantastic, it just isn't worth all the fat and calories.

Stay healthy, all.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: