quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Second hand smoke question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjo_120703

Quit Date:
December 7, 2003

PostPosted: October 19, 2004 5:35 PM    Post subject: Second hand smoke question Reply with quote

Lately i have been paranoid that if I am around too much second hand smoke I will get just enough smoke for my body to become "re-addicted" physically (I know the mental addiction is a whole other story).

My city has the smoking ban on the ballot this November, but unfortunately until then all bars, restaurants, concerts, and sporting events allow smoking.

I am enjoy social activities, so I do go out a lot...

Does anyone know what the facts are on this. Obviously 2nd hand smoke has a lot of dangers, but specifically, can being around too much get us re-hooked?

Jessica
I have chosen not to smoke for 10 Months 1 Week 4 Days 21 Hours 34 Minutes 4 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 6337. Money saved: $1,045.77.

Last edited by jjo_120703 on October 20, 2004 10:11 AM; edited 1 time in total
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: October 19, 2004 5:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jessica,

I don't have a definitive answer for you but, after thinking it through, if there is any danger from second hand smoke, you were getting that on top of what you were feeding yourself. There's bound to be less of a danger now that you're no longer smoking.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
howardl

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 19, 2004 6:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Jessica, I think you're asking if sucking down second hand smoke will drive you back to your old smoking habit?

There's always a danger of readdiction but, if it happens it's purely down to you. Its like the alcholic has to make the effort to get the drink so, the smoker has to make the effort to get the cig. If your head is on right, which it looks like it is, you will do just fine Smile

Congrats on your 10 months of freedom.

If you put your hand in the fire and you get burned, don't sue the guy that built the chimney.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 20, 2004 7:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, I would have thought the ammount of nicotine in second hand smoke is so low it couldn't cause your addiction to be kick started again. Or are all the non-smokers in the bar addicts without knowing? I don't think so. They don't have to pop inot the bar just for a quick breath every now and then do they?
If it makes you want to smoke it's a phsycological thing not a physical one.
If by chance passive smoking did give you slight craving - as long as you don't act upon it then I can't see how it would make you an addict again.. (unless you spend each evening with your head above the cigarette of a smoker and get addicted to time in smokey places...and start hating smoke free environments?!) Wink

I wouldn't worry.
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 20, 2004 11:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

From whyquit:

Contrary to popular opinion or misconceptions, the risks of second hand smoke exposure are nothing compared to actually smoking yourself. As far as causing a relapse to needing nicotine, it can't do that. The trace amount of nicotine that can be absorbed from second hand smoke exposure is usually under 1% of what a smoker gets from smoking. Inhaling a puff or even puffing on a lit cigarette without actually inhaling and absorbing nicotine through the oral mucosa does not deliver trace amounts though, it delivers a significantly large dose of nicotine that is fully capable of causing a full-blown relapse.

As far as second hand smoke and nicotine goes, you would have to be in a smoke filled room, non-stop for 100 hours, yes I am saying over 4 days to get the equivalent dose of nicotine delivered to a smoker from one cigarette. This is a unique property of nicotine though. Other chemicals in second hand smoke can reach some pretty toxic levels much quicker than that, in minutes not days.

The side effects felt from being exposed to second hand smoke are from Carbon Monoxide, Hydrogen Cyanide and some other noxious chemicals that can reach levels that are well above OSHA standards for safety. If a non-smoker happens to have a heart condition or an asthmatic or bronchial problem, and exposure to second hand smoke induces an incident on the spot, it would be said by all that the second hand smoke was more dangerous to that non smoker than the first hand smoke was to the smoker him or herself at the time. But rest assured, if the second hand smoke could induce the attack, if that person had smoked him or herself it would have induced a lot earlier and probably more severely. I have to say probably because the second hand smoke exposure may have fatal consequences for the predisposed non-smoker. But again, if second hand smoke did it, if that person were a smoker they would likely have experienced much sooner from their own self induced exposure.

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: October 20, 2004 12:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lynn...

I feel a bit better having been living with a chain smoker for all this time I have been quit. I KNEW there was really never a good reason to smoke again.

Living with a smoker just got added to my list of more reasons not to give up.

Sandyz
Breathing free from first hand smoke for Eleven months, three weeks, six days, 3 hours, 43 minutes and 37 seconds. 16341 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,230.68. Life saved: 8 weeks, 17 hours, 45 minutes.

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: October 21, 2004 5:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lynn. Very Happy

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 21, 2004 5:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Ms Lynn, have you considered the medical field??? great post!!]
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 22, 2004 8:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, I can't take credit for that, that's why I let you know it was from whyquit!! Wink

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: