quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

that was a close one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwick18

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 30, 2004 10:03 PM    Post subject: that was a close one Reply with quote

Went to the video store with my boys to get some scary flicks for after they go to bed and got some subway for dinner. On the way home I almost stopped to get a pack of smokes just because. I just want one. I guess if they sold just one I would have stopped. Where did that come from? Why do I feel so weak so far into my quit. Thought I was supposed to get stronger. I still am contemplating the store as I type. This pisses me off. Maybe Halloween and fall are big triggers for me. Something euphoric about the whole deal and sadly smoking was sometimes euphoric for me as well. Well thanks for hearing me out, going to eat and I think I will be ok.

Barb
After the rain comes the rainbow- I will get my rainbow back
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: October 30, 2004 10:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it Barb. You will have huge regrets. Maybe you are right that fall and halloween are triggers. So see the triggers for what they are and don't fixate on the cigarettes. Take some long deep breathes and pull out your reason to quit list. Stay strong youv'e come to far to blow it now.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: October 30, 2004 11:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb,
Please do not go to the store...you know you do not want to really do that Scowling Demon ...it is trying to get in your head and tell you just one...one today, one tomorrow one the next and you know it goes on and on....there is no such thing as just one....drink you a big glass of ice water or drink some juice and suck on some hard candy....turn on some music and dance if you have to...hey it is halloween so no one will think anything of it...go ahead dance on out in the front yard and over to the neighbors....ring the bell and pull them outside for some line dances...tango..rumba, or whatever cranks your tractor. Laughing Laughing ..just get up girl and get a move on...but no stores!!!!
Tomorrow, you can thank me and blame it on the moon!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: October 31, 2004 6:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barb, glad you posted instead of buying. I have had some pretty strong craves these last couple of weeks too. They might very well be seasonal. You got some great advice here. Face the crave, know it for what it is, laugh in the face of Laughing Demon and move on. It is amazing to me that you have been through so much this summer with all the hurricanes and have been so strong and yet the act of renting movies can set off a trigger. This just goes to show that we do indeed have to keep our guard up. You are an inspiration to me!

I really like the idea of the neighborhood line dancing. Today would be a perfect day for getting something like that going! Laughing

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
terryg

Quit Date:
May 13, 2004

PostPosted: October 31, 2004 11:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barb,

How'd you do last night, I hope you didnt give in to ol Scowling Demon .
How are you feeling today? I hope better is the answer. It is weird how all of a sudden we get those crazy cravings. We've all been there that's for sure.

Stay strong, you can fight it.
Terry
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2004 11:12 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes, the littlest thing can trigger us into a crave; sometimes, it's nothing at all. the fact is, we're addicts, and addicts experience craves; the reason doesn't really matter, as long as we recognize one thing:

there's no such thing as an irresistible crave.

did you ever take a long flight as a smoker in the last 20 years or so? were you ever in the hospital for any length of time while you were a smoker? were you ever in any situation where you couldn't smoke for an extended period of time while you were a smoker? what happened when you got a crave? you couldn't feed it; what happened to it?

it went away. all by itself.

you didn't have to resist it, you didn't have to fight it, you didn't have to do anything special about it at all; you just experienced it, accepted that it was happening and that you couldn't feed it, and went on with whatever you were doing when it started.

and it went away. all by itself.

back then, it was something outside of yourself that didn't allow you to feed the crave. now, it's something much stronger, something inside yourself that won't allow you to feed the crave: the knowledge that there is no such thing as just one. you can't take one back; you have to take them all back. and, while smoking may have "sometimes been euphoric" for you, most of the time, it was a gigantic pain in the ass, and you felt like crap because you were doing it, and you wished so hard that you could stop...

do you really want all that back?
didn't think so.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
bwick18

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2004 6:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replys yall. Pretty much after I ranted last night I felt a bit better, It was just one of the strongest most out of the blue craves I have had yet. Also have fought with myself and not felt so strong for the past month. I know if i keep holding on I will feel better and stronger when this passes. You guys are so great, I can't wait to meet you all if we really do get to have the get together.

Barb
After the rain comes the rainbow- I will get my rainbow back
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: October 31, 2004 9:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

its funny you say that, b/c as i get further and further away from my quit date, my thoughts sometimes creep up and I forget how bad smoking is. Its weird. At first all your positive thoughts are very fresh, all your research is in your mind, all the positive talks and why you want to quit. Along the way sometimes we forget all those things, and when we forget, we get weak to those thoughts. I have had those thoughts recently at the most random times, and its sooo stupid because I know its not a pyhsical craving, its a mental thing. So i just try to push it out, because i convince myself its "fake". Hang in there! We all have our triggers, just keep your reasons of quitting and your first week, close to you, use that as your weapon! Keep kicking ash!

mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: October 31, 2004 10:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb,
I had very similar feelings this past week..... I have a post somewhere about it........ the thought of 'just one' kept running through my head too. I am still to this day having those thoughts. I even mentioned to my husband yesterday that I wanted just one cigarette.....he has NEVER smoked and he told me "Mindy--you can't have just one...You'd want a thousand more". And it's so true.
You'll make it!!

Hugs,
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 1, 2004 9:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something must be in the air...these crazy thoughts went through my head OFTEN this past week..

- a horrible test that I THOUGHT I had prepared for...

- a 14-year-old who is slowly becoming someone I don't know anymore (don't they all at some point??)

- a Halloween party in unusually mild weather, sitting outside by a bonfire, having a few cocktails...

Just one sounded like the answer for all of these...and I argued with myself all week.

I really thought by now that wouldn't be happening (almost 10 months!!!!) but more and more I realize the true extent of addiction. An alcholic can't go back and have "just one", neither can the heroine addict...if they could, or WE could....we never would have been in the situation we were in before we chose life.

Know that you are not alone and you did the right thing posting about it. I'm always afraid to scare newbies, but I think we can all learn from eachother. Us "veterans" are sometimes disconnected from those early days and it's good to hear from newbies in the throws of withdrawals so we can, through supporting them, reinforce our reasons for quitting as well. And the newbies need to know that there is no "magic" time where life as a non-smoker is perfect. Life continues to happen, and for many of us, the one way we trained ourselves to deal with everything in life is still going to enter our minds...

My, I've rambled Wink

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: November 1, 2004 1:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin is sooo right everyone. Last night was hard for me too. My first non-smoking Halloween since I was fourteen. And it is getting colder, another trigger. But you know what? It's November 1st a nd I survived it. I'm not sad. I'm not disappointed that I didn't smoke. I feel just fine. Pretend like you live in a non-smoking neighborhood;the crave WILL go away. Yesterday my aunt died of mouth cancer. It was a horrible way to go. Keep thinking about that. Do whatever it takes. Just do it. Kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: