quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

weight, weddings and feeling sorry for myself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 12, 2004 10:41 AM    Post subject: weight, weddings and feeling sorry for myself Reply with quote

This post is purely to have a big moan and to seek sympathy..

I'm fed up, and i've not been fed up in a long while, and it's the same problem that I moaned about before and is the only bad thing about quitting smoking in my experince so far (though it's not going to make me go back to it thats for sure) - weight gain.
OK, i've gained a few pounds...well, about 5 to be honest...maybe 6.
But that's hardly outstanding is it???? I'm about 5'7 or 5'8 and 10 stone..is that so awful??

I'm nearly 15 weeks quit and although i knew a few pounds had crept onboard I hoped it wasn't as noticeable to other people as it was to me. Then a woman, quite nice really and not a bitchy person, comes up to me in the corridoor at work and kindly informs me:

"I've got to tell you - you're gaining weight"

.....so, pretending to be all unconcerned I reply "SO?"

and she replies "well, some people don't like it"

......I tried to act like I wasn't one of those people...but the truth is it has really upset me.

Maybe i'll try this low carb diet thing..its just that like bread and pasta ...
...It's Friday and i'm fed up, great - I had been looking forward to the weekend, now i'm angry and upset.....it's the second time she's commented, and it's not fair...
please don't advise me to go to the gym, i know - I did 15 minutes of an excercise video last night and now ache.... Surprised
so i'm now overweight and walking like i've wet myself, with painful legs and buttocks.
I'm getting married next year...i'll be a wobbly bride..... Crying or Very sad Embarassed
Why do people have to be so mean? She's lucky i'm not a recovering anorexic!!
law_girl_1969

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 12, 2004 10:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that woman's got some nerve in my opinion!!

Now, most people know I'm not one to jump on the "you can't do too much at once" bandwagon, because I believe taking control of a lot of things in my life helped me stay quit, and one of those was exercising and doing better trying to eat right from day 1 of my quit. The metabolism DOES have to readjust a bit once our appetite suppressor goes away, but that weight usually comes back off fairly easily. It's the weight gain from replacing cigs with calories that doesn't!!

So, while that woman, in my opinion, needs to be told where to step off, I don't think it's a horrible thing to keep ourselves in check where we can.

My best weight-gain fighters have been:

WATER.
EXERCISE.
and portion control.

Hang in there Hope, and remember that despite all of that, quitting smoking was more important than 5 pounds ever will be. You'd have to gain 100 pounds to do the damage to your body that smoking does. Take your time, find something to do with your body that you will enjoy, and you'll be surprised at how much better you'll eventually feel.

Lynn

"There are those who think they can and those who think they can't and they are both right." Henry Ford
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: November 12, 2004 11:04 AM    Post subject: Re: weight, weddings and feeling sorry for myself Reply with quote

Hope wrote:

But that's hardly outstanding is it???? I'm about 5'7 or 5'8 and 10 stone..is that so awful??

I'm nearly 15 weeks quit and although i knew a few pounds had crept onboard I hoped it wasn't as noticeable to other people as it was to me. Then a woman, quite nice really and not a bitchy person, comes up to me in the corridoor at work and kindly informs me:

"I've got to tell you - you're gaining weight"

.....so, pretending to be all unconcerned I reply "SO?"

and she replies "well, some people don't like it"

......I tried to act like I wasn't one of those people...but the truth is it has really upset me.

!!

Good God that is awful and you are WRONG that was being BITCHY. Where do you work at a GYM Question Question Question Instead of starving yourself I'd turn to exercise maybe start with a few kicks to your co-workers ASS might help. The some people who don't like your weight gain are not worth one second of your time. Laughing

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 12, 2004 11:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm all for keeping ourselves in check, which is what i try adn do. I don't do toooo much excercise it has to be said, but i do a bit..and after a full day at work and a long drive home i am too tired to be bothered sometimes...thats not lazy, thats just life....and i certainly eat good food - no processed meals, no microwave meals, i eat fresh vegetables everyday and make sure to go veggie every now and then .

...daft mare.

thanks ladies
bake10

Quit Date:
October 20, 2004

PostPosted: November 12, 2004 1:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell ya that really burns my brain. I had a sister who had bulimea and anerxiea. I have 7 siblings we are all thin, she ended up being the heavier one, and she wasn't even heavy, people use to tell her that. The nearve of some people. why would she say that? and why would she say that people around here don't like it. If this were me I would stand up to this woman, and let her know how I felt in a kind but stern way. I would of said well I gained weight and your ugly, just kidding. You can only pray for these people and know they have other issues in there lives, and are taking it out you. Jeri Rolling Eyes
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: November 12, 2004 2:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an unkind remark to make to someone. What gives some people the right to tell others what to do and how to live their lives. Hope, you're so much better off not smoking with a few extra pounds than you were skinny and smoking. I, too, was concerned that the extra weight was a threat to my health. My cardiologist told me to do what I can to control it but "PLEASE DO NOT GO BACK TO CIGARETTES."

Weight watching has become a part of my life but it's sure better than frying my lungs with burning tobacco.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Katy

Quit Date:
January 4, 2002

PostPosted: November 12, 2004 7:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

did that woman know that you have quit smoking?? She surely has no idea what a battle that is!! She should be coming up and CONGRATULATING you! I guess some of us should have been there to put her in her place! How rude to comment on someones weight like that! and people don't like it???? What is THAT all about??
and I agree with Jeri.....weight you can loose!
you just hang right in here...there are FAR worse things in life than gaining a few pounds. How about cancer? now that would make ya skinny, but who wants it at that price? Take up walking....that has always been the ideal way for me to shed those few pounds that somehow creep in now and then.
katy

Smoking is NOT an option.
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: November 12, 2004 8:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments about the lady are hysterical. I hope we don't meet her in a parking lot somewhere. Hope, don't worry, the woofmanglets have got your back! Laughing

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: November 12, 2004 9:26 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I second that Tonya, Hope I will rope her...nervy little woman....and they feel about her lousy attitude how???? I think you are doing just great, I have been quit for 110 days and have gained 16 lbs at least...but I am just now getting to the normal, plump, menapausal 54 year old short woman of 5'1" Laughing Laughing Laughing and they call me MawMaw not crabby.
Laughing Laughing Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Marigrrl

Quit Date:
December 1, 2010

PostPosted: November 14, 2004 1:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope pay no attention to that crazy lady! You sound about average weight. is she your friend? it sounds so bizzarre for someone to say something like this?!

As far as exercise goes you can just practice for your honeymoon! hahaha Laughing

Or

Do air Karate everytime that lady pisses you off!

Smile
mariko

Follow Your Bliss
Hope

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 15, 2004 4:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys - that really does help and certainly chereed me up to read all of your responses this morning!!!!
I was upset Friday evening, and stayed in being all sorry for myself..but then I went out shopping to cheer mself up so atleast I have a nice new outfit to look weighty in!!

Seriously though , I'm just going to grow a thicker skin (which no doubt will add a pound or two!?!?). She is kind of a friend, but not one closeenough to get away with such comments, so it was a really odd and i'll never understand..

She doesn't know I've quit smoking - she never smoked so wouldn't understand.

You're all right, great advice as always.

And I should toughen up and not worry...(sometimes easier said than done but i'll give it a damn good try, I promise)

I'd rather be this size and not smoke, than be a twig and on a pack a a day - That's for sure.

Thanks again my friends, you've cheered me up. Very Happy

Mariko - good plan Wink
merry

Quit Date:
August 15, 2003

PostPosted: November 19, 2004 6:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope,
I know how you feel about the weight gain cuz I gained 10 lbs with my quit and haven't managed to put out the effort to get it off. Buy hey, my theory is this.....I get to go out and buy a new wardrobe for every season as they arrive and that's been lots of fun!! Hang in there, a few extra pounds will not impede your health, smoking will. You're doing great!!

Mary
Q/D: August 15, 2003
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: