quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I just don't know...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 9:38 PM    Post subject: I just don't know... Reply with quote

I know we're really not supposed to post about personal type issues and problems...but I am having a hard time in my personal life. And while I'm struggling with all of that, I am also struggling big time with keeping my quit. To me, it all goes hand in hand. My life feels as if it's an emotional train wreck right now. I pray for strength to carry on. I know that if I were going to smoke during this time, odds are I would have done it by now. It's so darn hard sometimes and a lot of things seem so unfair. I am carrying on though, and I'm proud of myself for that. And I'm still smoke free.
Thanks for listening,
Paula

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 10:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy...
Sometimes we just need people to hear what we are saying... I am so proud of you for sharing, and for staying quit. I know exactly how it feels to be overwhelmed with personal things, and wonder where our next ounce of strength will come from..

We are all right here for you... BIG HUG
~Paula
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 11:02 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy, I am proud of you for not smoking. Very Happy Not everything in your life is bad. YOU DON"T SMOKE ANYMORE Exclamation YOU ARE FREE Exclamation
That is huge and something to really celebrate.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 2, 2004 11:11 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

quitting is about life, and life is full of issues and challenges; as far as i'm concerned, if it relates to our quit, it's fair game, and open to discussion here.

one thing that seems to be pretty normal for us quitters is that personal problems seem so much more "present" - i think that's because we spent so much time smoking them away before; now that we don't have the smokescreen to hide behind any more, we have to face our issues head-on and deal with them.

the good news about that is that we're learning how to deal with these things without smoking.

and that can only be a good thing.

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 3, 2004 7:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I catch myself thinking that things were different or better when I was smoking. I always stop then, and really make myself think back to a specific instance...and you know, it was NEVER better when I smoked. Never easier when i smoked. I just have to keep reinforcing that to myself, and it comes naturally now.

Everytime the thoughts of making challanges easier by smoking....picutre yourself actually having that cigarette then facing that challange. then picture yourself addicted again, and still having to face the challange. Because that's what would happen. you'd have your addiction back, but your problems would still be there, too.

you're stronger than you think, and you'll get through whatever you have to...without smoking.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 3, 2004 9:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your kind words of encouragement. Kevin, you are so right..life is FULL of issues and it does have an impact on your quit...at least mine it certainly does. I just know there have been others here and at FFS that really got irritated when posts were about personal issues. I just really feel my issues and quit all tie together. I have three kids that I need to stay smoke free for!
I am going to figure out what I need to do next and move on. I am praying I'll maintain my quit as well. I know I can, it just all boils down to my willpower...hope that makes sense! I'm almost 5 months quit and that is a great deal of time to throw away.
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: June 3, 2004 12:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy, I believe you will maintain your quit. You said it in the other post that if you were going to smoke you would of already done so. You haven't and I know this quit is to important to you to blow. No matter what is going on, you just hang on.

Tammy
Free and loving it!
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: June 3, 2004 12:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy-

Whoever said you/we/anyone wasn't supposed to be posting about personal issues? How we feel and what we're going through as we are on this journey... well, it's about the most personal thing I can imagine.

In truth, the only time people seem to really mind when someone posts about personal things is when they disagree with it philosophically or politically it seems.

Whatever you need.. I wish you strength, serenity.. and I join Alison in wishing you peace. Hang in there.. you're an incredible woman with great strengths and wisdoms... don't forget yourself.

-Zuzu
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: June 3, 2004 1:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things that I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

This gives me Peace may it do the same for you.

I wish you peace.

alison
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: June 3, 2004 8:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIndy
Dear friend, if you need us we are here. I remember that "stick to the topic" issue at FFS, but as far as I can remember personal issues have never been taboo here. If however you don't want to "go public" with whatever is bothering you, you know you can PM me any time you need to and there are many others here that feel the same I am sure.
Just about everything in our lives were "reasons to smoke", so I can't imagine what would be taboo.....at least that is how it is for me. But you are strong I know that, and remember whatever you are going through, you can handle. Be good to you and write if you need to. I am here for you.

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
bjj

Quit Date:
April 7, 2004

PostPosted: June 4, 2004 1:16 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy,
Whatever it is that is happening in your private life can be shared if you wish. I agree with the others, if it affects your quit, it is on topic. If someone objects, I would say that is their problem, not yours. You have been a help and inspiration to many. You also deserve to have support. You have every right to feel very proud of yourself for not smoking. Please post whatever you need to, as often as you need to. The whole idea is to support and encourage each other to get and stay smoke free.

You hang in there!

Bonnie

"Always think of what you have to do as easy and it will become so".
Emile Coue
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: November 25, 2004 7:39 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping Deb (Seabrez) and anyone else who is struggling with life issues of any type to read this post here. This was posted in June and I was really having a difficult time and through it all, I made it out alive and smoke free. Now when I get my husband pissing me off or whatnot and it makes me want to have a cigarette, I get on here and post. Thankfully that doesn't happen so often any more. But the moral of the story is that no matter how bad things get, there is NEVER a reason to smoke. We must carry on and we must do it without that false comfort a cigarette provides.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: November 26, 2004 12:37 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, dagburnit Mindy, I thought you were in a crisis today...scared me to death...but was so glad to see your last post stating that this was posted in June. I was also glad to know that it was ok to post about personal situations if we felt it was connected to our quit...for a minute there I thought oh gosh, I am a dead duck!

I hope others will see this and know that it is alot better to either PM or post their concerns than to ever smoke.... I spilled my concerns all over this site, got great advice and so much has changed for the better. Very Happy Sometimes it takes an unbiased person to look into our lives to help us see the problem for what it is and give us the strength to make the changes for our own well being.

Again, I am so glad you were not having that bad a day today!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: