quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What the heck........
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsjay49

Quit Date:
January 1, 2004

PostPosted: December 8, 2004 9:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy:

Yep, it were me. Smile

I purposely kept cigarettes very handy. I didn't actually carry any on my person, but I had them handy. In previous quit attempts, I would "bum" a cigarette when I was with people who smoked. I kept "forgetting" that I was NOT smoking because I chose NOT to smoke and not just because I didn't have any.

This time, I wanted to have cigs readily available, so that I would KNOW that I was not smoking because I was choosing not to smoke. I know that is NOT the recommended way for someone to quit, and I am sure not suggesting that anyone do it that way. That's just the way I did it, and it worked OK for me. Maybe that's why seeing a pack of cigs holds no great fascination for me. Finding those two packs I posted about did not tempt me in the least to light up.

Tom

If a person with Multiple Personality Disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 8, 2004 10:04 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt similar to what you did when I kept the cigs early in my quit. I stood in my basement more times than I can even remember with a cig in one hand and the lighter in the other. Never did I light up......but it worked for me also. I think it helped me to realize that I was in control. I had the CHOICE to smoke or not to smoke. Thank goodness I always chose not to smoke!
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 9, 2004 7:01 PM    Post subject: My pack is in the freezer Reply with quote

MY PACK IS IN THE FREEZER.
In the first two days of my quit I drove myself crazy - knowing that I didn't have ANY cigarettes - just in case I needed one....(pure addict in withdrawal thinking) - I bought a pack and then tied a note card with my reasons for wanting to quit around it - and a second note with the three things I promised myself I would do BEFORE - I opened that pack and smoked one (the three things are 1- call my sister so should could remind me of why I wanted to quit, 2 - to set a time and wait 15 minutes and see if I still wanted to smoke, and 3- take a shower - couldn't take a bath because I used to soak and smoke) - and ya know - I later added post on woofmang to that list... BUT once I put that pack in the freezer, I stopped worrying about not having any cigarettes - the pack I bought was my 2nd choice brand and "ultra-light" - so they aren't very appealing. And they are STILL in the freezer. Only once did I come close to taking them out of the freezer - and that was on day 3 - and my sister-in-law called to see how I was doing with the "not smoking thing" and we ended up talking for an hour and I decided I was ok and wouldn't smoke...

I don't recommend this concept to anyone - but I feel like it really empowered me - I had a choice - I wasn't not smoking because I didn't have any - I was not smoking by choice. I really believe it was right for me. I've been in the convenience stores paying for gas and drooling over the wall of cigarettes behind the counter ( Laughing Demon sneaking up on me) - and that pack in the freezer has helped me to say - no I don't need to buy a pack - I already have one... and it has enabled me to push aside the demon of nicotine addiction more than once.

I wonder if I'd have to "defrost" them before they were smokable...I don't want to think about it...maybe someday I'll throw them away....perhaps that'll be my "one year" victory party - throwing them away!!

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
Wanda

Quit Date:
March 15, 2004

PostPosted: December 10, 2004 8:36 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool Mary, very cool! (oh no pun intended)

Wanda
Quit Date 03/15/04
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 10, 2004 12:25 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend keeping any cigs on hand either....but whatever works I guess. I did flush that pack that I bought last Saturday down the toilet...
I am really ready for these holidays to just be over....I'm not in the spirit at all, and it's really sad since I have young children Crying or Very sad They are what keeps me going.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: December 13, 2004 9:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hang in there Barbd it will get better again...you are so strong to even try it again at this time...I admire you.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: December 13, 2004 10:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that Kay....you hang in there barbd. Things always have a way of turning themselves around. You're doing great. Keep those patches as long as you need them. We're all here for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > and rants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: