quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Okay I'm a wuss!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
londa

Quit Date:
July 28, 2004

PostPosted: January 14, 2005 7:58 AM    Post subject: Okay I'm a wuss! Reply with quote

We have a fitness room here at school that just got opened to the Public. So I pay $2.00 to use the machines. I had alot of fun and thought I was careful. Well this morning I wake up and my left buttocks hurts and a little on my left hip. THis happens all the time. It discourages me so, because I really want to exercise to loose this weight plus tone up and get healthier bones. So I guess I go to the Chiropractor. He'll probably tell me just to walk. I've been through this before. I have arthritis in my left hip. I wonder if excercise irritates it more.

Gee can you tell I 'm basically talking to myself here and answering my own questions?

Okay, back to work.

As always, thanks for listening!

Love, Londa

My name is Londa. I am 57 and I act like I'm 20. I love to laugh and smile. The more the better. Being kind to someone is the best thing you can do.
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: January 14, 2005 8:05 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ms. Londa, I envy your accessibility to an exercise room. Medical information I have seen generally says "move it or lose it", and that exercise can help with some types of arthritis. I have arthritis in my left wrist from an old break and exercise seems to help. When I first started working out with free weights I used one pound weights and still experienced some soreness. If the soreness is intense you may want to do fewer repetitions and work your way up slowly. Have fun with it. A little soreness is normal.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 14, 2005 10:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londa -
If there's one thing I've learned is that as I get older I have to start off much more slowly than I used to. If you are sore, make sure you take a few days off and be kind to yourself. If you are in pain, definitely talk to your doctor because you don't want to hurt yourself or make an injury worse.

I had to quit my step aerobics for 2/3 weeks because my ankles were swollen when I started back up in November. I kept doing some little things and lower impact stuff...some free weights to keep doing something until my ankles were better, got new shoes and then I've been taking it slow...a little bit at a time. I am a very impatient person so this is a completely new experience for me Smile

I think when we start off we are a bit sore at first...just take it slow and don't give up. A little bit at a time - I believe that exercise will help your arthritis, but again...my opinion and I am not a doctor - just DON'T hurt yourself Smile

Kris
Five months, six days, 7 hours, 26 minutes and 55 seconds. 3186 cigarettes not smoked, saving $637.41. Life saved: 1 week, 4 days, 1 hour, 30 minutes.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 14, 2005 11:04 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Londa! The $2 you paid to use the fitness room may seem like a great bargain, but not if you're going to hurt yourself. I don't know what kind of equiptment is there, but it's best if you can find someone who knows something about it, and maybe can walk you through it and a routine that's good for you. Ease it up...but don't stop completely.

I've got news for you....everyone in this life has some "pain in the butt"...you have to figure out how to make it go away. One way is to not exercise at all...I think that's what the exercise Laughing Demon is telling you. the other way is to realize tht "no pain-no gain", and that when you start to exercise muscle after none for a long time...it will HURT.

This is completely normal, Londa. As long as you are not doing anything dangerous with the machines (!), expect that you will have some discomfort for awile.

Think of this as just like quitting smoking. At first, you will have some physical discomfort and mental anguish, but over time, excercise will become the new "normal", and these feelings are only temporary.

NOW....GET BACK TO WORK....NO MORE EXCUSES FROM WOOFMANG!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 14, 2005 2:41 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, woofmang members have given great advice. I'm hurting too but it's from that darned treadmill. My ankles are soooo sore but I'm determined to keep going. Surely it's going to ease up soon. Rolling Eyes

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
Seabrez

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 14, 2005 3:38 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londa,

Bless your heart! Hope you get it figured out. Exercise is so important! (And this coming from a girl who HATES to exercise!) But, it's necessary!

I prefer to be active instead like bike riding. But it's all relative, exercise, activities, it's getting the body moving!!! I like that phrase "move it or lose it". It's true.

Hope the aches and pains go away SOON! Wink

Love Ya,
Deb

Living in Freedom
Deb

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corn 5:17 NASB
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: January 14, 2005 4:37 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londa,
Joining a healthclub was part of my recently shattered dream Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad so girl for 2 bucks get a move on it.....you will be sore and the best thing to do for that is to do it again...I ride the soreness out of my butt all the time Laughing Laughing .

I have had problems with my right hip since that blame mustang threw me (a real one not Sally) and the doctor told me to draw that leg up to my chest several times a day to stretch it out.....it really made it feel better...
Also, lay on the floor and draw it as close to your chest as you can and hold it for a bit...this also helps to relieve the pressure... hope it helps now start pumping that iron!!!
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 14, 2005 6:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londa,
I'm happy to hear you're working out....exercise is great for the body and soul. But be careful though! I know if I haven't worked out in a long while my body aches from just using muscles I never knew I had Rolling Eyes .....Take it easy and keep us updated!

Hugs,
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: January 15, 2005 2:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

londa,

I think exercising is great, 30 years ago it kept me limber and trimmer ........the last trainer I worked out with was Jack La Lane. He was on the T,V. I was in my front room....... Very Happy

It is great that you have access to an exercise room for only $2.00, I do agree that you should take it slow,

Pam
3 weeks, 3 days, 16 hrs. free of nciotine and feeling GREAT

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: