quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Animal lovers, I need help!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 1, 2004 11:18 AM    Post subject: Animal lovers, I need help!!! Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm in the wrong section, I just realized, but here I go...I just have to spout here...I was just talking to my neighbors and they were asking me about my move and all that and ..."what are you going to do with Diablo?" Diablo's my cat. Though I gave him a devilish name in his youth (and boy, did he earn it), he's the best, loving cat I've ever known. I will be moving directly into my mother's house, and though my mother is not an animal "hater" she surely doesn't understand the animal lover mentality, and know she dislikes cats more than dogs. I'll have to stay with her for some time before getting my own place. While I was talking with my neighbors, and I've known them since I've lived here, and their kids LOVE my Diablo, they said they'd adopt him, if need be. I suppose it's better than dragging him across the country and not affording him the comforts of home and possibly shoving him off with someone else...Ugh...my heart breaks at the thought of having even to make the decision. I think I know what the right thing to do is, but I'm trying so hard to make it so I don't have to give him away...I only have 3 weeks!! Help me!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: May 1, 2004 11:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was faced with the same decision a few years ago when I was in Florida. I have always had cats and I allowed myself to be talked into getting a dog. He was sweet and destructive and lovable and needy and I just could not care for him. I had hime for almost five years but I needed to think about what was best for him (traveling in a small RV with a 75 lb alaskian Malumute was not working for us or him. I found him a home through a malumute rescue organization. He joined a family with children and a large yard for him to exercise in. I still miss him but he is better off.

You said that you knew the decision you had to make so I will just say follow your heart. If you place the needs of the animal before your own selfish feelings you will do the right thing. It is hard to say goodby but at least you will know he will be happy and loved, what more could you ask for?

I wish you peace.

alison
Zuzu

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 1, 2004 12:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh... Nita, I honestly don't know. There's nothing in the world that could stand between me and Secret Agent Dog. I'd be homeless with her before I could give her up - EVEN to a loving family who I knew would love and care for her. Even, as Alison notes, if it was in her best interests - and I know that must sound awful.

I know that you're not just going to the Bay Area but also then touring Europe (for how long?) Would the family be willing to care for her until you get back from Europe as opposed to her entire life?

It is heartbreaking... I'm so sorry that you're faced with this. Mostly, whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and Diablo.

-Zuzu
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 1, 2004 12:23 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

I think I know what the right thing is...I just don't want to admit it. i'm hoping that a miracle will make itself apparent between now and then, but I can't count on it. My neighbors kids love Diablo, Diablo has no problems with them...<<sigh>>It's just heartbreaking. I would rather him be happy and cared for than inbetween homes and groundless...Life sucks sometimes...at least he will still be "home". He'd only be moving a couple of doors down..he's pretty much the "neighborhood cat" anyway...I'm done crying. I just gotta get over it...<<sniff, sniff>>

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
Tammy

Quit Date:
February 16, 2004

PostPosted: May 1, 2004 6:52 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanita, I'm sorry. Sad maybe it would help to think of it this way..... That giving your cat to the children will be a blessing to them and you will always be able to check on him. Very Happy

Tammy
Free and loving it!
alison

Quit Date:
June 3, 2003

PostPosted: May 1, 2004 6:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carted my kitties across the country with me and my dicision to fight for my home (in my divorce) was completely tied to making sure my babies were cared for and I could keep all three. I don't envy you your decision. Myabe Zuzu is right, maybe you can come back and get him after you have toured and are more settled. I'm sure they would be open to that. Oh I hate this, when people are hurting.

I wish you peace.

alison
Carol

Quit Date:
December 9, 2009

PostPosted: May 1, 2004 7:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously know what you are going to do. And I know it is so very hard and I am so sorry you have to face this. You will take solace in knowing that what you are doing is best for Diablo. And you will miss him and you will cry. Know that you have a lot of people here who are feeling your pain with you and wish we could take it away
Just a thought here and I don't want to sound callous at this difficult time, but if you decide to give him to the family with children please don't ask them for Diablo back when you return. Those children are going to fall in love with him as you have done, and I don't think it right to break their hearts It would be better than to find a family with no children that could watch him till you return.
Take care girl
(((((Juanita)))))

WALK TALL WALK PROUD
CAROL
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 1, 2004 7:22 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys,

No, Carol, I wouldn't take Diablo from them. I've been around those kids for years. Couldn't do it if I wanted to. It just sucks. I'm just going to enjoy my time with him while I got it, and take it from there. Thanks for your kind words.

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
Paula

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 2, 2004 12:55 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanita.....

BIG HUG

I can't say anything more...

Just don't smoke!!

-Paula
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 2, 2004 8:08 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Buddy.....have to admit that when I saw your post yesterday, I chickened out on replying right away. Embarassed

I don't think I need to add anything....except sorry!

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
Mindy

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: May 2, 2004 10:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanita,
I agree with Carol. I have 5 cats (yes, I'm a cat lover) and I was almost faced with getting rid of all of them when my son had to go in for allergy testing. His allergist swore up and down he was allergic to cats and dogs. Well, he wasn't allergic to either one....I had to find homes for all of them just in case and it almost did me in.....But in your situation you would have a great home for Diablo with lots and lots of love. I'm sure you'll still be able to keep in contact and know how Diablo is doing. We're all here for you and I know your pain,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > stories, essays, rambles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: