quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

how to stack the odds in your favor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 25, 2005 2:07 PM    Post subject: how to stack the odds in your favor Reply with quote

one of the questions that people often ask (though not necessarily in these exact words) is, "what can i do to ensure the success of my quit?", so i thought i'd start a sticky thread to address that question. please feel free to respond with your own tips on how to ensure a successful quit (if you have questions, rather than tips, you're far more likely to get answers if you post them as a separate thread, so please only respond to this thread if you'd like to add a tip. thanks!).

i'll start Wink :

if you haven't already (or even if you have but it's been a while), go through the "freedom from smoking" program online at the american lung association website (http://www.ffsonline.org/). the program is open to anyone with an internet connection, and if there's a better program out there, i'm not aware of it (and i've been looking at them for over three years now). you will increase your chances of a successful quit exponentially by carefully following the freedom from smoking (also known as "FFS") program.

if you haven't already, sign up for a free account at quitnet (http://www.quitnet.com/). for me, and probably for the vast majority of the members of this site, online support that's available 24/7 was a huge factor in ensuring my success. but you want to hedge your bets; if this site goes down (or if the FFS message boards go down) as has happened a couple of times in recent memory, you'll still have the forums at quitnet to turn to (the "quitstop" forum is generally the most active). the other advantage to quitnet is that it's been around for a very long time (at least in "internet years"), and it has thousands of members from all over the world; so chances are excellent that, no matter the time of day or night, if you post a message in the quitstop forum with the word "help" in the subject line, you'll have at least several (and maybe several dozen) people responding to you, and quickly.

(i could go on, but i'd like this to be a community effort, so i'll just stick this to the top of the forum now and invite other members to contribute their own tips for a successful quit...)

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit

Last edited by kevin on October 31, 2009 11:57 PM; edited 2 times in total
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 25, 2005 2:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi out there..

Kevin might not want to go on, so I'll help out...don't forget www.whyquit.com. It's more of an informational forum run by a guy named Joel. I can't fully remember his history, but he developed this program on the importance of educating people on the dangers of smoking and the long term damage that can happen if you choose to continue to smoke. Chock full of informational articles, stories, pictures and facts about your quit. ALA's site AND this site were great catalysts for my quit (and of course, woofmang.com). I'm convinced the combination got me almost too informed about my quit, my understanding of my quit and what will most likely happen if I don't quit. It's pretty hard core, but I needed hard core. Nothing like a good dose of truth.

Juanita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: January 25, 2005 3:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my Quit with a Quit Ceremony. That morning I shredded all my cigarettes, put them in a plastic bag with all my lighters and threw them away. I then gathered all my ashtrays and put them in the recycling bin. My Quit Ceremony was a solemn promise to myself that this was my final Quit.

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by ms_tapestry on January 25, 2005 4:35 PM; edited 1 time in total
Pamela

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 25, 2005 4:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two things that I feel directly attributed to my continued successful quit:

1) The support at FFS and especially here...it allowed me to vent and gave me something to do (read and post) during all those times I normally would have smoked.
2) Reading "Nicodemon's Lies" at whyquit.com. It turned my thinking around totally.

That's the secret of my success.

FIVE + years of freedom and loving it!
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 25, 2005 6:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first three months of my quit, I kept a journal. Looking back at how I felt during the first weeks, helped keep my quit strong over that period of time. I still refer to it at times and am surprised at the feelings I expressed.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo
kevin
Site Admin

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 25, 2005 9:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo wrote:
For the first three months of my quit, I kept a journal. Looking back at how I felt during the first weeks, helped keep my quit strong over that period of time. I still refer to it at times and am surprised at the feelings I expressed.

excellent idea, Jo! i also kept a journal - for the first couple of years, actually - most of the "tales" on the main part of the site are taken from that journal. and you're right - it's a great motivator to be reminded exactly what you were feeling in the early days; who wants to go through that again? Smile

keep choosing life!

kevin

the zen of the quit
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: January 25, 2005 9:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remember the years and energy you put into your QUIT NOT(smoking) and put the same energy and time into your QUIT. I know I owe my Quit 28 or 29 years as that's how long I smoked. In 28 or 29 years I might have to rethink my strategy but such is life. Also positive thoughts like not only is this doable but to me it's done. That part of my life is over and good riddance. Never look back and always follow your instincts mine happened to be that smoking had become less than fun and I finally really took a look at the consequences. My husband took ill and we were forced to take that look but wow what an eye opener. I just don't wish to smoke any more the rest is history. Wink

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
justdebbie

Quit Date:
August 1, 2004

PostPosted: January 25, 2005 11:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

one day at a time! Don't worry about tomorrow, just make today the day you won't smoke.
Barbara K.

Quit Date:
December 23, 2004

PostPosted: January 26, 2005 2:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a long time quitter but I would like to add that the most important thing for me so for is reaching out for help anytime and everytime I've needed it so far. Don't be bashful. And don't get discouraged by people who may not seem to be helping at the time. Also taking time out to reflect on your day to put it to rest to be able to rest at bedtime is a good stress reducer. Basically I would think staying quit would mean the aceptance of change to one's life. Never letting your gaurd down.

Blessings,

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn arouind and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Blessings,
Barbara K.
Mary Dude

Quit Date:
June 15, 2004

PostPosted: January 26, 2005 7:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told ALL of my smoking co-workers that I was quitting and that no matter how I begged, pleaded, or threatened - they could not let me "bum" a smoke. If it was so bad at work that I "HAD" to smoke - I'd have to go the store and buy them. There were days early on when I thought I was an idiot for telling EVERYONE - but it kept me from being able to "slip" early on - AND I didn't want to have to tell all of them I'd failed in my effort....I stuck it out and here I am...seven months down the FREEDOM road! What's really neat is more than one of those smokers have asked me to tell them how I did it...I was a really committed smoker (pouring rain, freezing temps, blizzards) and I guess they figured that if I did it...maybe they could too....

Mary D.
Smoke-free one day at a time!
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles, but it does ruin today's happiness!
roliveira

Quit Date:
May 7, 2007

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 7:35 AM    Post subject: Two things. Reply with quote

Other than the websites listed above, two things helped me:

I "confessed" that I was quitting to everyone -- and used the opportunity (kind of like a 12 step program) to apologize to those I had hurt through my addiction and to ask for help to quit -- among these were people I would not want to let down -- like my pulmonologist (LOL).

Also, I posted either my reasons for the "Nicodemon's Lies" from whyquit.com everywhere -- My bathroom mirrors, the refrigerator, the front and back doors, the car. Uh, oh, when I was really tempted by the lies of my addiction, the truth was staring me in the face. Kind of hard to ignore.

Hope that helps someone.

Roberta
(day 63 of freedom)
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 7:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I was a long term smoker,l I need all the help I could get.

I knew I needed the tools to help me fight the withdrawals and what to expect after that, The program at the FFS supplied the program, how to prepare..........Information at the websites of woofmang & whyquit.....

The support system here at woofmang, long term quitters offering their experiences....Positive reenforcement Very Happy

I would agree with all here,

1. education about nicotine and addiction
2. structured program
3. Support system, positive feedback

These are what put the odds in my favor, I am new in my quit, but I smoked for 48 years and have for the first time been 1 month 5 days free, and now to stay quit, That is where this web site will help me......

Pam

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 7:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quitting smoking and learning to keep this quit has been a continuing process for me.

I had tried so many times over the 30 years I smoked to quit I decided to keep a journal weeks before my intended quit date. I wrote about how depressed I was not having control of my life as a smoker, the ball and chains I carried with me, shortness of breath. Etc… I wanted to have some thing to look back on when I felt I had lost my best friend. (So I thought at the time)

After I quit and I was on the brink of again losing the fight when I goggled in stop smoking. I found ALA on-line quit program. I followed it and posted all the time on the boards.

Still I wanted more answers, I found quitnet.com and like Kevin said the boards are so active with many long term quitters 24/7. I also went to whyquit, and copied the information about this addiction. I kept Nicodemon's Lies with me for many months. I still look back over them from time to time. I read all kinds of info within Joel's library, at whyquit.

I also visited phillipmorris.com and was in shock. They too come right out and tell us smoking kills. Yet they sell the death sticks.

I read Kevin's tales right here on this site, see the journey he has mapped out, and again find a connection. Knowing you are not alone is helpful in holding on to a quit.

During my quit I found myself becoming angry at the craves, the hold the addiction had on others, and upset with myself for feeling like…just one would not hurt. KNOWING…I was an addict and one puff from a pack. I as suggested by another quitter turned that anger towards my quit. I had to feel the strength I was going to need to fight this addiction to a point when it would become a choice without the constant craves. I changed my name to fightn4life knowing that in my heart this was a fight for my life. My shortness of breath was telling me I was killing myself. I had to stop this madness.

To keep my quit now, I continue to keep a personal journal and an on-line diary helping me come to terms with living without the smoke screen.

I tell myself I am an addict and I choose life. Today.

I never underestimate the powerful call of the demon. I know one fix and I will be starting over. Remembering where I have been, knowing where I am heading and where I am now helps me hold dear to this quit.

The most important thing I have learned in keeping this quit…is to always ask myself when a smoke feels like it may help…what will change by me starting to smoke again? The answer is always…nothing, except I will be a smoker wanting to be smoke free again.

Support from everyone, knowledge, and the ALA on-line program is why I am smoke free today.

Choose life…never take another puff.

Sandyz
free for 463 days!

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: January 29, 2005 4:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lightbulb came on when Kevin told me luck had nothing to do with it. I must choose not to smoke, you mean I have a CHOICE? I never felt I had a choice as to smoke or not to smoke...I woke up and smoked until I went back to sleep...but now I had a choice and being one who could do something if I set my mind to it, I made that choice.

Woofmang and all the members have helped me to maintain my quit. FFS helped me to even try to stop the addiction. I think the main thing that has helped me the most is to know I am not alone and there are people online who understand me. Some may feel they are giving up a friend when they put down the smokes, for me, I feel I have finally made some really true ones.
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
Jill-dec1

Quit Date:
December 1, 2003

PostPosted: January 30, 2005 11:06 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also keep a journal that I started when I did the modules at FFS. I feel exploring my past failures (closing my back doors). Having special statements that I say to myself when the urges are really bad “there is no excuse to smoke” and “smoking is just not an option” My favorite “I can quit smoking”. I also found reading all the post here at woofmang and FFS
to be helpful.

Jill

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm;

it is peace within the storm...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > getting quit All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: