quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

trayless cd/dvd roms?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopeful

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 26, 2005 9:29 PM    Post subject: trayless cd/dvd roms? Reply with quote

I stopped by Anglers Yak Shack yesterday and I must say the shop is looking great and well stocked with Tridents and all the other OK line of fishing kayaks They also have a lot of kayak fishing acce
additions until you get your appetite under control. cabbage, Brussels sprouts, spinach, fennel, winter squashes Like Weight Watchers, eDiets is a complete weight loss program, more than a food and exercise
the Abs Diet does is show you how to eat to prevent cravings I asked, "Is the product effective?" itself an antioxidant and also supports the production of glutathione
impression on me. That show ? Gilligan?s Island ? was all about a group of Total calories for this course 202 However, hyperprolactinemia is characterized by pathologically elevated

Last edited by hopeful on September 7, 2010 2:36 AM; edited 2 times in total
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: January 26, 2005 9:50 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.fitday.com They have loads to offer and the basics are free. Just spend a few days putting in the foods you eat in the day and you will soon start to notice ways to improve that.

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
roliveira

Quit Date:
May 7, 2007

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 7:46 AM    Post subject: Food/Diet Reply with quote

Hi Hopeful:

There are two "diets" that I know of that are really balanced. One is the Weight Watchers diet and the other is the good old diabetes diet.

I always thought I had a really balanced diet until I developed diabetes and then when I learned about how to use all the food groups to keep my blood sugar level, my eyes were opened. www.diabetes.org has a whole lot of information on their website about diet -- the most important for me was portion size. For example, on a normal dinner plate, 1/3 protein, 1/3 veggie, 1/3 starch. Anyway, once I got it under control I had a whole lot more energy and stamina and felt better in general.

From what I can tell, Weight Watchers is similar. But, learn to read labels because sometimes things that are "low fat" or "low carb" end up being high salt or high fat or high sugar to compensate -- so stick with REAL food.

Hope that helps.

Roberta
(day 63 of freedom)
kjsblue

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 9:58 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Melody - learned alot from the fitday.com and the U.S. Dietary Guidelines...

I've had to do alot of reading and I've bounced some things off other people here to help me understand it better...definitely not an expert~ Smile

also there's a good website with lots and lots of good information...
www.wellmd.com

Hope this helps Smile

Kris Smile
Five months, two weeks, five days, 7 hours, 23 minutes and 15 seconds. 3446 cigarettes not smoked, saving $689.40. Life saved: 1 week, 4 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it -- William Arthur Ward

Q.D. August 8th, 2004
dancing_lucinda

Quit Date:
January 14, 2005

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 11:41 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heather-

I'm not sure how much you already know, so I'll try to highlight the things I consider most important. The USDA food guide suggests eating the following amounts of foods at the 2000 calorie level each day:

Fruit - 2 cups (4 servings)
1/2 cup equivalent is:
1/2 cup fresh, frozen, or canned fruit
1 medium piece of fruit
1/4 cup dried fruit
1/2 cup fruit juice

Vegetable - 2.5 cups (5 servings)
1/2 cup equivalent is:
1/2 cup cut-up raw or cooked vegetable
1 cup raw leafy vegetable
1/2 cup vegetable juice

Grain - 6 ounce-equivalents
1 ounce-equivalent is:
1 slice bread
1 cup dry cereal
1/2 cup cooked rice, pasta, cereal

Meat and Beans - 5.5 ounce-equivalents
1 ounce-equivalent is:
1 ounce cooked lean meats, poultry, fish
1 egg
1/4 cup cooked dry beans or tofu
1 Tbls peanut butter
1/2 ounce nuts or seeds

Milk - 3 cups
1 cup equivalent is:
1 cup low-fat/fat-free milk, yogurt
1.5 ounces low-fat/fat-free natural cheese
2 ounces low-fat/fat-free processed cheese

You can go to www.bcm.edu/cnrc/caloriesneed.htm to find out how many calories you need to maintain your weight and adjust the above accordingly.

In general, we all could use more fruits and vegetables. Try to get a wide variety to ensure you're receiving all the nutrients you need.

Whole-grains have not been as broken down and are still full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Make sure you check the ingredient list; "whole" or "whole grain" should appear before the grain ingredient's name, and the whole grain should be the first ingredient.

When I go to the grocery store, I rarely have to go down any of the isles. You can get all the foods you need going around them.... produce, meats, dairy, breads. I occasionally sneak in to get canned or frozen vegetables, whole wheat pasta, tomato sauces, and cereals.

Basically, we want to eat foods that remember where they came from. Processing always reduces the amount of nutrients found naturally in foods. Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils are used in the food industry for the sole purpose of prolonging the shelf life of processed foods (to maximize profits). Studies link the consumption of these trans fatty acids to the development of diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease. Check ingredient lists for those oils, too, and avoid the foods containing them. (You'll be surprised how many do!)

When we feel hungry, we have to try to avoid feeding ourselves "empty calories" (foods with no nutritional benefit). Have you ever eaten breakfast at McDonald's and found yourself starving 3 hours later? Our bodies are still craving the nutrients they need in the hopes that we'll feed it right.

I hope that helps. If there's anything else you're wondering about, let me know. I'll do my best to try to figure it out with you.

Amy

Dance like no one is watching.
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 1:57 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heather, I'm on Weight Watchers but I suggest you check out Dr. Phil's book too. It's excellent. Kerry
hopeful

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 2:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

weight watchers.....dont you have to buy their food?
Kerry

Quit Date:
May 4, 2004

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 2:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you do not!!! Very Happy Kerry
jahunta

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 3:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather,

IF you're looking for something a little different, you can also go to www.allexperts.com It's a forum where people volunteer their time to answer questions you may have on myriad topics. I'm a volunteer for music songwriting and theory. I've also asked people who are nutritionists on the page and got some good, no nonsense advice. Try it out. People with PhD.'s sign up to volunteer. It's a pretty neat thing.

Nita

Quitting is Living!!!
QD: 2/15/04
kannprint

Quit Date:
April 10, 2004

PostPosted: January 27, 2005 5:27 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, our membership is just full of knowledgeable folks. Amy, thanks for the nutritional guidelines you posted. I printed them out and they are now on our fridge. Also, while reading your post, it occurred to me that I seldom shop the aisles these days either. Since I began watching what I eat, most everything I purchase is on the outer perimeters of the super market.

Nita, what a neat thing to do; volunteer your time to share your expertise. I intend to check out that website.

Melody, I've been using fitday.com for almost a month now and really have learned a lot.

Roberta, I checked out the diabetes site also and put it in my "favorites" for use later.

Thanks everyone. It's sure nice to know such intelligent and helpful folks.

LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH.
Jo

Last edited by kannprint on January 29, 2005 9:29 PM; edited 1 time in total
hopeful

Quit Date:
-

PostPosted: January 28, 2005 11:30 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.....ditto what she said. You guys have really lead me in the right dierection. I really like the diabetes one. Another great place to get a step by step meal plan is www.goodhousekeeping.com. Lots of low fat recipes and edible too! Thanks for all you help. I will most certainly check out all the web sits you have listed.

Heather
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > continuing the journey to wellness All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: