quit smoking support @ woofmang.com
people helping people beat the addiction to nicotine

help support our communityDonate FAQFAQ SearchSearch RSS FeedRSS Feed MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I wonder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roliveira

Quit Date:
May 7, 2007

PostPosted: January 30, 2005 10:49 AM    Post subject: I wonder. Reply with quote

I wonder why it is that people in my life who are "reformed" smokers forget how significant it is to quit and stay quit. I don't know if they just had an easier time than I am having or if they just don't remember the pain. I dont' want to live the pain anymore -- but I sure don't ever want to forget.

My blessing and support at home is coming from two people who have never smoked -- to me, that is a conundrum. Yesterday, one of these friends asked me what day I was on and was I still counting. I had to think about what day I was on -- that felt good. What felt even better was when she said she was very proud of me and, by the way, you smell so good now it's nicer to be around you. That was nice. Even my husband hasn't said that to me!

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I hope I don't become "cold" to those in my life who will travel this road. It kind of hurts. But, those who are proud of me keep my spirits up -- as do these message boards with such stories of hope and success.

I have been quit for 2 Months, 4 Days, 12 hours, 27 minutes and 45 seconds (65 days). I have saved $461.90 by not smoking 1,965 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 19 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 11/25/2004 I can't wait to have not smoked 2,000 and I cannot wait to have saved a full week of life. I am so glad I choose life!

Roberta
When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future. Eccl 7:14
Melody

Quit Date:
August 19, 2004

PostPosted: January 30, 2005 11:32 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you are right it seems to be that succesful Quiters have forgotten the pain. To me that is 100% positive news as you will not have to remember this pain forever. I can't wait till those first 10 days of my Quit no longer make me shudder. Wink Wink Life is all in the twist you put on it. Laughing

I'm a NON-SMOKER thanks to everyone here
ms_tapestry

Quit Date:
October 21, 2009

PostPosted: January 30, 2005 11:35 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I don't forget either Roberta, because to me that is when I am at the most risk of losing my Quit. How lucky you are to have a non-smoking friend who gives you such wonderful support! You are doing great. Keep it going! Cool

Tonya

You must do the very thing you think you cannot do.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
ben

Quit Date:
August 8, 2004

PostPosted: January 30, 2005 4:31 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roberta, My wife doesn't know how long it is since I've quit, but she knows I've quit. She comments sometimes how glad she is, but she's afraid to say too much about it in case I relapse as I did so many times before. But it's never been this long before, and now I'm starting to feel there's no need for congrats. It's just a fact of life now-- I don't smoke. But I still know I'm an addict. Ben.
Cowgirl UP!

Quit Date:
July 26, 2004

PostPosted: January 30, 2005 6:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Ben, you reach a point where you know you do not smoke and what others say does not count as much....what counts is how you feel about yourself...for me knowing that I have stayed smoke free for 6 mo is enough...if hubby doesn't know how long it has been...well that is ok at least he remembers I quit. Laughing Laughing
Kay

All with a little help from my friends, COWGIRL UP
mtwilsonranch

Quit Date:
January 20, 2006

PostPosted: January 30, 2005 6:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too Roberta, do not want to forget, the pain of change, I am an addict, I have smoked over half my life,
I guess at this point I am afraid to get too comfortable, I am new in my quit and I have never been this long without nicotine........... This quit is so precious to me....

My husband knows I have quit, but the length of days ?? He just is happy that I do not cough anymore Very Happy Very Happy

You are doing great in your quit and I am glad that you have non smoking friends that are supporting you,

Pam

1 month 1 week, 2 days, 8 hrs. 43 min free of nicotine and feeling GREAT

Right Now, this minute, this hour, this day, I choose not to feed my addiction....
Fightn4life

Quit Date:
October 23, 2003

PostPosted: January 31, 2005 7:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never want to forget where I have been, but the physical feelings I had during my early quit are faded memories. I can read about it in my journal but I can no longer recall the day-to-day struggle.

It feels kind of like having a baby, at the time you can not believe you can get through it. But later when you are holding that wonderful gift of life that you brought into the world the actual pain we experience is diminished. Or…we would never have another.

I don't believe I will become a cold hearted non smoker. I have known a few that have told me one day they decided to lay down the smokes after years of smoking and never felt a thing. One person in particular has no words of encouragement for me. Never has.

I tend to learn from others, the positive ones and the negative. Had that friend been my support group I would have thought I was weak, a crybaby, and making mountains out of molehills. I most likely would have thought, I can not do this.

I learned from her and a few others. Through their negative actions and words I recall thinking please, do not let me be them.

The positive enforcements were the key to my staying with the program. Tough love is different from indifference.

As with this quit our attitudes toward smokers is still about choice. We know we are addicts, we know smokers are addicts. The difference is we choose not to feed our addictions; they at this time do.

We may hold the key if some smokers come to us for help and understanding.

I will be right there. I believe so will you.

Sandyz
free for 467 days

"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."

~Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    quit smoking support @ woofmang.com Forum Index > life beyond the smokescreen All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: